The Student Room Group

Does a degree impact what you can study?

Would you be able to study a Policing degree and then get a career in business management? Or would you need to relevant degree for business management?
Reply 1
Original post by isabellewalker15
Would you be able to study a Policing degree and then get a career in business management? Or would you need to relevant degree for business management?

Potentially if there are other routes to train in business management. It depends on the field, for some careers you will need certain qualifications, so it would be best to check out the requirements for the careers you are interested in.

Business management is totally generic, it's not a specific job, it's a collective term for hundreds of jobs. no degree is required for some roles, others require a very specific degree. Most don't much mind. You could do a degree in policing and end up managing something in a business for sure.
Original post by threeportdrift
Business management is totally generic, it's not a specific job, it's a collective term for hundreds of jobs. no degree is required for some roles, others require a very specific degree. Most don't much mind. You could do a degree in policing and end up managing something in a business for sure.

That’s good to hear. I am glad to know that if I do that it won’t limit my options. Thanks!😀

I'm guessing you are actually asking "does a degree impact what you can work as" rather than what you can study.

To answer that question, the vast majority of generalist grad schemes in "business", financial services, the civil service, the media, legal training contracts and the like don't require any specific degree and accept all equally. In fact generally the degree is the least important factor for those kinds of grad schemes as it's just a tick box.

There are some roles where you do need a particular background, or a specifically accredited degree. For example, some roles may require a "numerate" degree - this can vary exactly what it encompasses, usually engineering/physical sciences/maths/CS but also sometimes things like economics, finance, and other science degrees. Others, normally for specific professional roles like psychologist, nurse or doctor, require a particular degree(s). Some are somewhere inbetween - for example to work as an engineer you will usually need some kind of engineering degree, but you can certainly work in the engineering sector more broadly with a degree in e.g. maths or physics.

As above for any role that could be broadly classified as "business" and/or "management" usually any degree will suffice.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending