The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Atrozius Faatz
I'm bored, tired and have ear-ache. :yep:

Awww hope you feel better soon :biggrin:
Hmm I swear when needed. Although I do swear in Arabic and Italian so the majority of people don't understand. :cool:
Absolutely ******* not. I swear all the ******* time :proud:
PerigeeApogee
Funny, because I always thought that forming generalised opinions about huge swathes of people based on a single, personal anecdote of a family member was an indication that a person was a complete and utter moron, devoid of valid opinions.

Hence the word 'could'.
Not as much as "like", "kinda", "stuff" repeated more than once in a single sentence :lol:
Reply 65
PerigeeApogee
No, how can it possibly indicate a lack of vocabulary?

Nobody says the c word because they don't know other words for it. Everybody knows plenty of words for the c word, from the slang to the medical.

I can't think of a single situation where a person replaces an obscure word with a swear word because their vocabulary isn't large enough to encompass obscure words.

I swear a lot because of my culture, because of where I grew up. I grew up on a lower class estate in the east end of Glasgow - it's known as the murder capital of Europe. People just swear there, and as a result, so do I. But I'm not unintelligent or lacking a wide range of lexical choice. Quite the contrary.

I swear for the same reason that other people don't swear - because of where and how they were brought up. But where and how we are brought up does not place a definititive cap on our intelligence and vocabulary. This enables people like me to be both intelligent/well versed in the language, but also a prolific swearer.

Look up Billy Connolly or Stephen Fry on the issue. Both unfathomably intelligent men, both profuse swearers, and both with a very valid justification for it.

Anybody who thinks swearing is anything other than a set of valid words that some people use and some people don't is a moron.

I am originally from around the Glasgow area, so I understand the point you're trying to make. The point I was making however was that certain groups of people, and I used the example of chavs, but it could be any group, swear because they can't get their point across properly. I don't literally mean because they don't know any other words for the c word or how to say f off without using other words. It is because they can't articulate themselves sufficiently and they just blurt out swear words constantly, when perhaps other words would be better suited for the situation.
Reply 66
I think it was Stephen Fry who said that anybody who thinks this is a "******* idiot". I tend to agree.

Latest

Trending

Trending