The Student Room Group

How to improve your vocabulary?

Hi guys,

Recently, I've noticed that my vocabulary us very limited. I have been trying to improve my vocabulary, but not all the times I can recall the word that I learnt, especially when talking with someone.

If possible, can anyone tell me what's the best way to learn new vocabulary word, their usage and how to recall them immediately when needed.
Original post by Izan
Hi guys,

Recently, I've noticed that my vocabulary us very limited. I have been trying to improve my vocabulary, but not all the times I can recall the word that I learnt, especially when talking with someone.

If possible, can anyone tell me what's the best way to learn new vocabulary word, their usage and how to recall them immediately when needed.

Hi!

If you want to improve your vocabulary and it's fairly limited then there is little to no benefit in learning specific words, instead you should read, read, and read some more. Once you have built up a solid base then (and only then) can you begin to learning some more specific words. :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by Learning4Fun
Hi!

If you want to improve your vocabulary and it's fairly limited then there is little to no benefit in learning specific words, instead you should read, read, and read some more. Once you have built up a solid base then (and only then) can you begin to learning some more specific words. :smile:

Your advice is to read as much as possible?
Original post by Izan
Your advice is to read as much as possible?

In essence, yes - I wouldn't be surprised if there was a trend between the grades people achieve in English GCSEs and the time they spend reading.
Reply 4
In essence, yes - I wouldn't be surprised if there was a trend between the grades people achieve in English GCSEs and the time they spend reading.

That makes sense, but does that help you to remember the words and recall them aswell or for that you ll have to do something else?
Hi!

I agree, reading exposes you to loads of new vocabulary, and if you don't know what it means you can always search it up. :h:
Original post by Izan
That makes sense, but does that help you to remember the words and recall them aswell or for that you ll have to do something else?

Your brain is incredibly smart, and if you read lots of books it will gradually make connections between words until you understand what they all mean - without ever reading a definition. Remember, using one piece of fancy vocabulary makes little to no difference if the rest of your language is sub-par.
Reply 7
Your brain is incredibly smart, and if you read lots of books it will gradually make connections between words until you understand what they all mean - without ever reading a definition. Remember, using one piece of fancy vocabulary makes little to no difference if the rest of your language is sub-par.

That makes sense. Will improve your written skills too or not?
Original post by Izan

Yes, it will.
Original post by Izan

Yes. You'll start to pick up writing styles from the books you read, and that'll reflect in both your writing and speaking. For me, it's more so my writing, but I can draw from more ambitious vocabulary if I choose to. It's best if you practise writing though. I write with proper grammar all the time (even when texting), so I get a lot of practice in, despite how annoying it is to whoever I'm texting lol. Reading is the way to go!
Original post by toxicgamage56
Yes. You'll start to pick up writing styles from the books you read, and that'll reflect in both your writing and speaking. For me, it's more so my writing, but I can draw from more ambitious vocabulary if I choose to. It's best if you practise writing though. I write with proper grammar all the time (even when texting), so I get a lot of practice in, despite how annoying it is to whoever I'm texting lol. Reading is the way to go!

This is so true, i realised i started writing in the same style as my favourite author
Reply 11
Original post by gompachirochan
This is so true, i realised i started writing in the same style as my favourite author

I'll try my best to follow all the advice given. If someone has anything else to add on - please do not hesitate.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending