The Student Room Group

Higher Maths, Physics and Chemistry- how difficult?

Hey- sorry if this has been asked before.

I just sat these at Intermediate 2 Level with the hope of doing them at Higher after Summer at college. I heard there is a big jump in difficulty between these 2 stages, and was wondering if anyone could let me know what they thought of these subjects at Higher level.

Cheers.
Reply 1
psychojunglecat

I just sat these at Intermediate 2 Level with the hope of doing them at Higher after Summer at college. I heard there is a big jump in difficulty between these 2 stages, and was wondering if anyone could let me know what they thought of these subjects at Higher level.

Cheers.

They are impossible. Anybody who has claimed to pass them is lying.

:p:

I did chemistry this year having done Int 2 in 4th year, and the jump is fine. Good luck tommorrow!
Reply 2
Maths i don't think is that much of a jump in difficulty from int 2 there's just more to memorise.
Physics is slightly harder as you need to remember more facts while doing questions.
Chemistry is slightly harder as there is a fair amount more to learn and more problem solving.
I did them after doing them at Standard Grade and found them okay. I tink maths was the easiest/best jump because higher maths is quite a fun, problem solvy type of subject. The hardest one I found was chemistry and physics was okay I guess. I think you should defo do maths and physics if they interest you and chemistry as well because i think i found it challenging because i'm a retard.

good laccccck and god i'm so glad highers/school is over for me

EDIT: this message sounds so retarded, i'm a retard. Weirdly I passed them all at ABB
Thanks for all your replies and good luck for tomorrow if you are awaiting results.
Hey,

I did Chemistry at INT 2 and the jump is actually not that bad. Just make sure you're good with calculations as it does make a difference in the exam if you are prepared for them. Most of the theory is basically a bit more in depth than INT 2 and other stuff which aren't too taxing. You should be fine if you work hard.

I also did INT 2 maths and I found the jump to be okay. It's just more challenging overall and you have to put in a lot more effort at school and home if you want to make sure you come out with an A.

I did SG Physics but if you just, again, put in a lot of effort I don't see why you wouldn't be able to get an good grade at the end.

Basically, work hard during your highers and don't slack!

Good luck tomorrow!
Reply 6
psychojunglecat

Cheers.

Advice for maths and chemistry higher - practice practice practice the problems so you are well prepared :smile: Make sure you revise for chemistry as you go along (I made notes which were then so helpful when studying later on )

Higher Physics I didn't do so I can't talk
Reply 7
cecilia93
Advice for maths and chemistry higher - practice practice practice the problems so you are well prepared :smile: Make sure you revise for chemistry as you go along (I made notes which were then so helpful when studying later on )

Higher Physics I didn't do so I can't talk

What you said defo applies to physics too :smile:
Making my own colourfulnotes (short ones) from the PAGES i got from my teacher reallllyyyyyy helped me and doing past papers loads is the only reason i'll have passed.
Reply 8
Higher Maths and Physics are easy if you're good at these types of subjects, I mean you can even get 90% in Maths even if you miss out a whole question like I did in Paper 2. :biggrin:
Reply 9
Higher maths might seem difficult at the time but when you start doing past papers etc you'll reaelise that its not that bad :biggrin: (so long as you miss out 2010 ppr 2 :angry:)
And chemistry , for me anyway , was friggin impossible - honestly very, very hard (though if you have done int. 2 you might find it easier)
Reply 10
Chemistry needs good notes to be hounest, also as everyone has said! practice from past papers, seriously ive jumped from a fail to an A for just writing thorough notes and more revision practice from past papers,

some chemistry teachers are really helpful, some are just .....
Thanks for all the info everyone.

While on the subject of Highers, it may be a possibility for me to crash Higher Biology; Obviously it depends on the student, but how well would a student who's never done the subject before fair with it on top of these other Higher subjects? Cheers again.
Reply 12
psychojunglecat
Thanks for all the info everyone.

While on the subject of Highers, it may be a possibility for me to crash Higher Biology; Obviously it depends on the student, but how well would a student who's never done the subject before fair with it on top of these other Higher subjects? Cheers again.

I've only done 2/3 weeks of crashing it so far (having done SG chem and physics) and I'm faring far better at it than the people who actually took it last year. That said, I'm lovely with memory, and practically all of it is just copying out of and remembering the textbook.

Eventually there's going to be some stuff from SG that I'll need to know, but apparently there's not much. You should have no problem with it if you try hard.
KrazyMam
Higher maths might seem difficult at the time but when you start doing past papers etc you'll reaelise that its not that bad :biggrin: (so long as you miss out 2010 ppr 2 :angry:)

I know how you feel :p: i was not expecting it to be so hard since paper 1 had been easy!

Good Luck for later today ..or Thursday! :smile:
Found Chemistry and Physics enjoyable and challenging without being a nightmare and managed to get As.. Struggled a LOT with Maths, as did the rest of my year, and was lucky to even have passed it.
Reply 15
Higher Physics = Easy
Higher Chemistry = Easy-ish as long as you do plenty revision
Higher Maths = The actual course is easy but its just the exam problem solving questions can be really hard, only do it if you got an A or a B in int 2 I would say
It all depends on how scientific you are and how good you are at this sort of thing. If you have a good maths mind then Higher Maths should be fine. Just so you know, at my school you are only allowed to do Higher Maths if you got an A at Int 2, as the step up is apparently quite hard. However, if you did well in the Int 2s, just pick the subjects you want and with a bit of hard work and lots of attention in class you'll be fine.
ipulledhermione
I did them after doing them at Standard Grade and found them okay. I tink maths was the easiest/best jump because higher maths is quite a fun, problem solvy type of subject. The hardest one I found was chemistry and physics was okay I guess. I think you should defo do maths and physics if they interest you and chemistry as well because i think i found it challenging because i'm a retard.

good laccccck and god i'm so glad highers/school is over for me

EDIT: this message sounds so retarded, i'm a retard. Weirdly I passed them all at ABB

:mob: damn you hermione I wanted to reach 2000 posts before you.......

anyway havent seen you in ages were you banned again ??
greatmonte
:mob: damn you hermione I wanted to reach 2000 posts before you.......

anyway havent seen you in ages were you banned again ??

Yeah. Once you get banned, it's hard to get back into the swing of things and post as often. How are you?
ipulledhermione
Yeah. Once you get banned, it's hard to get back into the swing of things and post as often. How are you?

Im good hols are boring though (apart from that week in barcelona)...TSRs weird now after hols and the ban cause loads of the people I generally talk to dont seem to be on here anymore (could be because of the summer though)

Latest

Trending

Trending