The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

jOnNy BoRrEll
As they say a picture is worth a thousand words:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=18852&stc=1

Shame the link does'nt work. What was it?
Sorry here it is:
Reply 42
Bismarck
What percent of international finance do you think Jews control?

Also, do you think Jews act as a group (i.e. they coordinate their activities with each other) or do individual Jews try to make money for themselves?

Proportionally Jews have higher paid jobs than non-jews and outperform non jews at school. From what I have heard from various jewish friends, the jewish community, although not specifically based around religious ideals is very tightly knit. As are other communities no doubt, but from their comments it leads me to beleive that it is a tighter community than for examply the muslim community to which I belong. That is not to say that "the jews are trying to take over the world conspiracy", but as in any community, they are likely to try and help fellow jewish people as far as possible. Its not being prejudice, but you have to look after number one. In the Quran, too, it states that muslims should in the time of need look to their muslims brothers rather than the christians, jews, etc. I cant really see any reason why this would not apply to the jewish community.
With regard to 1290 i have heard a view along the lines of this: The king at the time was concerned about the 'money cartel' / 'bankers' seeking an undue influence over the english economy. He therfore made legislation against this. However when the bankers persisted the king (wrongly) responded by expelling all jews from england. This was obviousley an act of anti semetism as it is unfair to blame the jews as a whole for the actions of a few bankers who may or may not have been jewish.

Is this anti-semetic propaganda or is there any basis in fact?
Reply 45
LoveYourSlavery
With regard to 1290 i have heard a view along the lines of this: The king at the time was concerned about the 'money cartel' / 'bankers' seeking an undue influence over the english economy. He therfore made legislation against this. However when the bankers persisted the king (wrongly) responded by expelling all jews from england. This was obviousley an act of anti semetism as it is unfair to blame the jews as a whole for the actions of a few bankers who may or may not have been jewish.

Is this anti-semetic propaganda or is there any basis in fact?

I've never heard that version of the 1290 expulsions.

I read the expulsion was a response to growing anti-Semitism in England after several notorious child murders (e.g. Little St Hugh of Lincoln and St William of Norwich). Also, Edward I (the then king), owed great deals of money to Jewish financiers (remembering that Jews were focused in the mercantile professions by law). To avoid repayment he expelled all Jews, rich and poor.

Interestingly he retained some Jewish physicians and the like for his care, and it is unlikely all Jews were ever completely expelled from the country.
Perhaps the major significance of this in European history is that it was the first expulsion of the Jews in Europe.
Reply 46
Bashment's first post is possibly the funniest post ever posted in the history of the internet. If it weren't for the fact he actually believes what he says he'd make an excellent comedian.
Naino
I've never heard that version of the 1290 expulsions.

I read the expulsion was a response to growing anti-Semitism in England after several notorious child murders (e.g. Little St Hugh of Lincoln and St William of Norwich). Also, Edward I (the then king), owed great deals of money to Jewish financiers (remembering that Jews were focused in the mercantile professions by law). To avoid repayment he expelled all Jews, rich and poor.

Interestingly he retained some Jewish physicians and the like for his care, and it is unlikely all Jews were ever completely expelled from the country.
Perhaps the major significance of this in European history is that it was the first expulsion of the Jews in Europe.

Yea that seems like a less biased account.

I think the text in bold could be open to interpretation though.

Latest

Trending

Trending