The Student Room Group

Anyone worked for Lidl or Aldi?

Hey,

I'm applying for some summer work as a store assistant at Lidl and Aldi (among other places) and was wondering whether anyone works there or worked their recently and what their experience has been?

I've heard horror stories about the amount of pressure they put you under, how much they make you work and how you can't do you job properly because the stores are so short staffed all time.

What are everyone thoughts?

Cheers,

Kate
I worked for Lidl for around 10/11 months, it was pretty bad.

The company stretch labour so thin that you are really doing the job of several people at the same time. Because of this, managers are utterly ruthless and will say/do ANYTHING to motivate their staff.

One good thing about Lidl is that if you can survive here, you can thrive in any retail environment.

Some events:

One time I made a mistake by leaving the chiller cabinets out for a few minutes too long, in response, the deputy manager said he "would rip my head off" if I did it again.

A couple of times I had to come off of the till to go with a customer to the shop floor as these customers were complaining that the price on the shelf was different to the price of the product when scanned through the till (the store rarely has staff ready to respond to such a situation due to how busy we all are). This resulted in my Store Manager coming right up in my face and threatening me, twice.

Many customers stink and are drunk when they approach you, shouting all kinds of abuse. Often threatening staff and other customers for reasons such as not being able to purchase more than two packets of ibuprofen and paracetamol or the rising price of products.
One customer actually put his fingers close to my eyes after I told my colleague not to serve him alcohol as he was under the influence of said alcohol when he tried to purchase it.
At this point I just punched him in the mouth and that was the end of my time at Lidl.

Pros:
Every other job seems easy
Can be easier to advance here than at other retailers due to the fact that nobody wants to work here for long
Holiday time allowance was not too shabby
Colleagues are usually very hard workers

Cons:
Pressured to work for free during breaks
Workload is at times unmanageable
The scum of society are your customers
Frequent target for armed robberies/aggressive customer behaviour due to low staff count
Pay does not reflect the workload
"Lidl are a German company and do not recognise unions"
No staff discount, just a voucher off that customers get too.
No trust amongst staff and managers, everyone watches out for their own back

Good luck
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Mrcuddles
I worked for Lidl for around 10/11 months, it was pretty bad.

The company stretch labour so thin that you are really doing the job of several people at the same time. Because of this, managers are utterly ruthless and will say/do ANYTHING to motivate their staff.

One good thing about Lidl is that if you can survive here, you can thrive in any retail environment.

Some events:

One time I made a mistake by leaving the chiller cabinets out for a few minutes too long, in response, the deputy manager said he "would rip my head off" if I did it again.

A couple of times I had to come off of the till to go with a customer to the shop floor as these customers were complaining that the price on the shelf was different to the price of the product when scanned through the till (the store rarely has staff ready to respond to such a situation due to how busy we all are). This resulted in my Store Manager coming right up in my face and threatening me, twice.

Many customers stink and are drunk when they approach you, shouting all kinds of abuse. Often threatening staff and other customers for reasons such as not being able to purchase more than two packets of ibuprofen and paracetamol or the rising price of products.
One customer actually put his fingers close to my eyes after I told my colleague not to serve him alcohol as he was under the influence of said alcohol when he tried to purchase it.
At this point I just punched him in the mouth and that was the end of my time at Lidl.

Pros:
Every other job seems easy
Can be easier to advance here than at other retailers due to the fact that nobody wants to work here for long
Holiday time allowance was not too shabby
Colleagues are usually very hard workers

Cons:
Pressured to work for free during breaks
Workload is at times unmanageable
The scum of society are your customers
Frequent target for armed robberies/aggressive customer behaviour due to low staff count
Pay does not reflect the workload
"Lidl are a German company and do not recognise unions"
No staff discount, just a voucher off that customers get too.
No trust amongst staff and managers, everyone watches out for their own back

Good luck

I have to completely disagree with this. I think a lot of people who worked at Lidl share this viewpoint, but recently (since summer 2013) they ahve made huge changes to their policies because of having expanded a lot recently. Now they hire a lot more people and are a lot more friendly to their workers. Most of the things this person mentioned happen in all retail businesses. And if you punch someone in the face, no matter where you work or what the customer did, you will get sacked in every single company on this planet.

Now, there is staff discount introduced, employees are no longer watched using CCTV (in fact they have greyed out the till areas on the CCTV screens where the employee would be sitting), you always get the amount of break that you deserve depending on the shift. Yes sometimes you may be called back during your break because of an emergency (sudden customer rush, accident, etc) but you're always given that time back at some point of your shift.

Their pay is actually one of the highest when it comes to retail businesses. Starting at £7.50 and increasing by 50p every year until it reaches a maximum of £10.50 p.h is pretty good for retail.
Reply 3
Hey Kate

Don't go there!
That was by a clear mile my worst decision ever made, very hard work and you have to wait for a proper paycheck at least two months because of the deductions.
I hardly don't recommend this workplace for anyone.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending