The Student Room Group

Torn between two completely different options

Basically my eventual ambition is to study for a PGCE at Cambridge University, go on to do an MA in Education there, teach for a while then go on to do a PhD in it and go into lecturing or something like that. However I don't know where to start for my undergraduate degree. My passion is history, but unfortunately my predicted grades of ABB don't allow me to study it anywhere paticularly prestigious so I would be looking at universities such as Kent or Keele. On the other hand I could study Education/Childhood Studies at a university such as Warwick, Bristol or York as the entry requirements for those courses are low. The relevance of the course to teaching and the high standard of university may help me get to Cambridge for my PGCE (or am I wrong?) but I would much rather do history. Is it worth doing something I like less to achieve my end goal?
Reply 1
Sorry if I put this in the wrong section by the way, just really keen for help, I went all wrong this year with my university applications and it ended up with me not going anywhere
Well, if you want to teach at secondary level you need to have a degree relevant to what you want to teach, so maybe think about what you want to teach and look at related courses. If you want to teach primary you can do something less specific like Education. I think Cambridge will take people with a 2:1 or higher for their PGCE, so you want to do an undergraduate degree you can do well in.

Latest

Trending

Trending