The Student Room Group

Which SQE prep course to take?

I finish my law degree this year and want to undertake a SQE prep course.

I need some recommendations on which prep course to take... A few questions below.

Is there is any funding available for any of these?
Are these courses online or in person?
Which prep course provides the best overall experience?

Any advice/help is useful :smile:
Hi,

At BPP there's options to study the SQE online and in person, at a range of their centres across the country.

As for funding, BPP offer the SQE 1 + 2 prep course as a masters meaning that if you're a UK student you could be eligible for a master's loan from the government to help cover the costs. They also have a number of scholarships available (https://www.bpp.com/study/funding/university/scholarships) that you can apply for which may be suitable for you.

I can't speak for other providers, but BPP's course is very structured around the exams themselves. You have weekly workshops for each module and BPP have a specific learning cycle - prepare, apply, the workshops and consolidation, so by the end of each week you feel really familiar with the content. The tutors are excellent and most of them are former practicing solicitors meaning that they are experts on the content and can answer any questions you may have. There are also banks of practice MCQs to help you revise.

Hope that helps :smile:

Eleanor
Original post by Tiffnari
I need some recommendations on which prep course to take... A few questions below.
Hi,

So Ulaw offers a few different routes depending on different factors such as how much guidance you want with the process. I would recommend either doing the prep courses as two separate courses (one for each exam) to space out the learning or doing them combined as an LLM to allow you to get as much support as possible. However, the exams are now designed so you should, in theory, be able to self-study so you could do a lighter (less guided course) such as the essential courses to get the basics and then try and do the rest yourself. You can study any of these options in-person at one of our many campuses across the UK or online.

In terms of funding, Ulaw does offer a few scholarships but this really depends on your personal circumstances so to find out more I would visit the website which will give you all of the scholarships on offer and the eligibility criteria. You could also apply for a Training Contract, however, there is often a delay in securing one and being able to start the course so that depends on whether you want to wait or be able to get cracking straight away (they are also v competitive). Alternatively, you could choose to do the LLM course which incorporates a Masters allowing you access SFE funding to help cover the costs.

I cannot speak for other courses but, as a student, I have really enjoyed my time at Ulaw and find it to be a supportive and friendly environment which offers support far passing the academic to help with future employment :smile:

I hope this helps and good luck!

Sophie
(edited 1 month ago)
Original post by Tiffnari

Hello!

I came across your post and wanted to know what you have decided on (if you have). I am in the same predicament. I am torn between doing the LLM SQE because of the post-grad funding, and doing the SQE1&2 preparation course together, or just doing an SQE 1 preparation course to then find a TC to fund the second if that is even possible.

I have heard multiple people recommend BPP and ULaw as their go-to providers. I also know that firms tend to send their trainees there to complete the SQE. They both offer online and in-person courses which is handy.
Reply 4
Original post by stressedstewdent
Hello!
I came across your post and wanted to know what you have decided on (if you have). I am in the same predicament. I am torn between doing the LLM SQE because of the post-grad funding, and doing the SQE1&2 preparation course together, or just doing an SQE 1 preparation course to then find a TC to fund the second if that is even possible.
I have heard multiple people recommend BPP and ULaw as their go-to providers. I also know that firms tend to send their trainees there to complete the SQE. They both offer online and in-person courses which is handy.

i am still unsure but would love to message you and talk if you wanted? i am so 50/50 haha

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending