The Student Room Group

Online Computer Science MSc Pricing and Career prospects

I am looking to apply for a Online Computer Science MSc as the first step towards a career change. My degree is in Mathematics and I have no experience in Computer Science.

The University of Liverpool online MSc in Computer Science is very attractive as it is described as a ‘Conversion Course’ for those with no prior experience in the subject.

Firstly, I have noticed large differences in prices across different Universities. For example, Keele University charge £7,440 for the full course whereas Uni of Liverpool charge £15,300. Are these price disparities justified? I see this as an important career investment so I am willing to pay for a premium quality, however I am conscious of paying over the odds for no reason.

Secondly, if anyone has already completed one of these courses, can you please provide some indication of how easy it will be to get a job in Computer Science upon completion of this course? As stated, I have no prior experience in this area and almost all of my work experience is in financial services.
I'm enrolled in one of those Online MSc. The teaching is very minimal. They have video lectures and reading list. You can ask questions in the forum and the tutors may or may not answer. The thing that catches most people off guard is the assignments are mostly essay based instead of technical based. Lots of theory and not enough practical assignments. I don't regret taking it but if you're expecting a technical course, you won't get it.
Reply 2
Original post by reyjusuf
I'm enrolled in one of those Online MSc. The teaching is very minimal. They have video lectures and reading list. You can ask questions in the forum and the tutors may or may not answer. The thing that catches most people off guard is the assignments are mostly essay based instead of technical based. Lots of theory and not enough practical assignments. I don't regret taking it but if you're expecting a technical course, you won't get it.

Thanks for your response.

Which University are you studying at if you don’t mind me asking? I’m torn between Uni of Bath and Uni of Liverpool.

I guess if the course isn’t too technical I may need to do extra bits off my own back to make up for this. How many hours a week are you currently spending on the course? I’ve been informed by most Universities they recommend 15-20 hours a week
It's Wrexham Glyndwr University. I was actually accepted at Bath but I figured Wrexham is more cost effective. I don't know how much time I spend per week, probably no more than 7-8 hours usually but if there's an assignment due I could put more hours into it.
Reply 4
Hey! which one did you end up taking? I'm also thinking between these two.
(Original post by PJG_1994)Thanks for your response.

Which University are you studying at if you don’t mind me asking? I’m torn between Uni of Bath and Uni of Liverpool.

I guess if the course isn’t too technical I may need to do extra bits off my own back to make up for this. How many hours a week are you currently spending on the course? I’ve been informed by most Universities they recommend 15-20 hours a week

Original post by PJG_1994
Thanks for your response.

Reply 5
Original post by RVBF
Hey! which one did you end up taking? I'm also thinking between these two.
(Original post by PJG_1994)Thanks for your response.

Hey,

I’m at University of Liverpool, mostly because the start date was more suitable for me.

Each module is broken up into 4 sections. 2 forums whereby you must submit graded short essays each week and provide critic to fellow students. There is also an individual practical assignment, and a group practical assignment. The practical assignments tend to carry more weight than the written work.

I’m really enjoying the course but have found the practical parts difficult due to no prior coding experience. I would say 20 hours is the bare minimum I have studied per week as there is a good amount of content to work through each week. Some of the content is optional but I think it is all worth doing.

The course is very well structured but relies on a lot of self study. However, whenever I have needed advice, the course lecturers have always been excellent.

Hope this helps,

Phillip
Hey,

I’m at University of Liverpool, mostly because the start date was more suitable for me.

Each module is broken up into 4 sections. 2 forums whereby you must submit graded short essays each week and provide critic to fellow students. There is also an individual practical assignment, and a group practical assignment. The practical assignments tend to carry more weight than the written work.

I’m really enjoying the course but have found the practical parts difficult due to no prior coding experience. I would say 20 hours is the bare minimum I have studied per week as there is a good amount of content to work through each week. Some of the content is optional but I think it is all worth doing.

The course is very well structured but relies on a lot of self study. However, whenever I have needed advice, the course lecturers have always been excellent.

Hope this helps,

Phillip

I'm glad at least one of these Online MScs is actually good. I was worried that most reviews of them are negative.
Reply 7
Hey,

Hope this helps,

Phillip

Hi Phillip,

I'm thinking of enrolling in this course and your positive feedback is very helpful.

I'm planning a trip to Thailand for 3 months from December - do you think it would be realistic to study from there for 3 months? Would the timezone have any impact?

Also, do you know if it can be completed any quicker than 30 months?

Thanks,
John
Original post by reyjusuf

So did you get the degree? I am also thinking to take admission in one of these university
(edited 6 months ago)

Hey,

Hope this helps,

Phillip

Is yours the online one?
Reply 10
Original post by Softwarecomp22
So did you get the degree? I am also thinking to take admission in one of these university

I got one from Wrexham. At least the degree is real, lol. The quality of teaching was generally bad or non existant although I had a decent supervisor for my dissertation and the first course was okay.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending