The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

iheartmondays
For those who have gained a 2:1 or a First Class how was your work ethic like? Sleepless nights, overdose of coffee? :p:

Thanks x

A 2.1 is easy as.

Consider yourself a FAIL if you don't at least get that.
Reply 2
Decent work ethic. Just stay disciplined - work during the day (don't do the usual student thing and wake up at 2pm), and play at night.

Easy.
Reply 3
I think most reasonably intelligent people can get a 2.1 if they put as much work in as they can (without needing to work constantly).
A 1st is a bit harder and requires genuine academic ability and insight as well as hard work.
Reply 4
roginho
Decent work ethic. Just stay disciplined - work during the day (don't do the usual student thing and wake up at 2pm), and play at night.

Easy.

This is good advice, if you can put in the work during the day i.e. get to the lectures etc. and engage then it'll just come to you really. The people I saw doing badly all tended to miss a lot, especially in mornings.
It's just a case of knowing your stuff.

Do your reading BEFORE the lecture, so that way, when you're in the lecture you're consolidating your knowledge, not learning everything for the first time. Print out the lecture slides beforehand if you can, so you don't waste your time copying out the slides, and can instead make notes on the teacher's comments or your own analyses.

They often give you reading lists, printouts and questions just for each seminar that no one ever touches. Touch them!! For every seminar, we had a list of 4 or 5 essay questions, and I usually tried to answer them before the seminar. I realise that you're SUPPOSED to do this. But no one actually does and it will really benefit you.

Don't skip things, once you get into the habit it's hard to get out of it!

Try and at least acquaint yourself with the library early on.

Read a lot of academic literature on your subject: why? So you can see how academics write. I was looking back on my old essays (from GCSE to A level to Undergrad) and I can see there is a progression of "child's essay" to "pretentious child's essay" to "actual academic writing". Some of the undergrad essays I've seen are written like you're still at GCSE, the language is so simplistic, and they're just repeating what they've learnt in the lecture, not actually analysing or being critical about it.

Rather than only reading the core readings. Try and read something from the wider, "suggested reading list" or even something not on the reading list, for each topic, sometimes you'll find an author who has said something BLOODY GENIUS and it will really help you out, you'll wonder how you would have coped if you'd only stuck to the reading list!

But to be honest, I still have no idea, last year I handed in two essays I thought were equal, one scraped a 62, the other was an 89. I'm starting to consider it might be about choosing topics your marker is interested in!!
screenager2004

Do your reading BEFORE the lecture, so that way, when you're in the lecture you're consolidating your knowledge, not learning everything for the first time. Print out the lecture slides beforehand if you can, so you don't waste your time copying out the slides, and can instead make notes on the teacher's comments or your own analyses.

They often give you reading lists, printouts and questions just for each seminar that no one ever touches. Touch them!! For every seminar, we had a list of 4 or 5 essay questions, and I usually tried to answer them before the seminar. I realise that you're SUPPOSED to do this. But no one actually does and it will really benefit you.

I think this is great advice, thanks!
Reply 7
Most students who get firsts are the ones who do more wider reading. And of course they work harder in general and are academically smart.
screenager2004

Don't skip things, once you get into the habit it's hard to get out of it!

Try and at least acquaint yourself with the library early on.

Read a lot of academic literature on your subject: why? So you can see how academics write. I was looking back on my old essays (from GCSE to A level to Undergrad) and I can see there is a progression of "child's essay" to "pretentious child's essay" to "actual academic writing". Some of the undergrad essays I've seen are written like you're still at GCSE, the language is so simplistic, and they're just repeating what they've learnt in the lecture, not actually analysing or being critical about it.

Rather than only reading the core readings. Try and read something from the wider, "suggested reading list" or even something not on the reading list, for each topic, sometimes you'll find an author who has said something BLOODY GENIUS and it will really help you out, you'll wonder how you would have coped if you'd only stuck to the reading list!

But to be honest, I still have no idea, last year I handed in two essays I thought were equal, one scraped a 62, the other was an 89. I'm starting to consider it might be about choosing topics your marker is interested in!!

Great advice thanks :smile:
jk1986
This is good advice, if you can put in the work during the day i.e. get to the lectures etc. and engage then it'll just come to you really. The people I saw doing badly all tended to miss a lot, especially in mornings.

Here's what I'm thinking of doing. I'm thinking of getting up at maybe 7:30am or something each day, and do studying from 9 until 5 (including lectures), and then my evening is completely free!
Reply 10
OL1V3R
Here's what I'm thinking of doing. I'm thinking of getting up at maybe 7:30am or something each day, and do studying from 9 until 5 (including lectures), and then my evening is completely free!

If you're serious, that is one of the most sensible comments I have read in the past week. I think I will do something like that, but wakeup later than 7:30 :wink:
screenager2004
Touch them!!

:teehee:
had to be done,

solid advice though :yep:
LOL why? I did not find achieving a 2.1 difficult and the vast majority of good employers ask fore 2.1 degrees.
Reply 13
Does it depends on which Uni you attend?
Paske
If you're serious, that is one of the most sensible comments I have read in the past week.

I'm really chuffed to hear that :o:
Reply 15
The-Real-One
A 2.1 is easy as.

Consider yourself a FAIL if you don't at least get that.

I guess I failed then. :smile:
Reply 16
portugueseninja
I think this is great advice, thanks!

Agree! great advice! :smile:
Reply 17
if you go to every lecture, listen in every lecture, read the notes before and after lecture, complete all work on time, dont copy assignments, revise in holidays and reading weeks, do solid revision for 4weeks before exams starts then you should get a first in second and third year.. for first year you just need to do the last point.
Reply 18
iheartmondays
For those who have gained a 2:1 or a First Class how was your work ethic like? Sleepless nights, overdose of coffee? :p:

Thanks x

2:1 is pretty average, 1st is exceptional
Sambo2
2:1 is pretty average, 1st is exceptional

Are those my only two options? Where is "did a Good job" ? hehe :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending