The Student Room Group

Grade?

Does anyone know how do the University of Hertfordshire establish what grade you’ll get for your degree. :smile:
Original post by Anonymous
Does anyone know how do the University of Hertfordshire establish what grade you’ll get for your degree. :smile:

I assume we're talking about a bachelor's degree (with honours) here? In which case, the way they establish your final degree classification is detailed in section "D6.1 Calculation of overall classification grade for Honours classification (Bachelor’s Degree)", starting on page 177, in their Academic Regulations Handbook for Undergraduate and Taught Postgraduate Programmes.

There is a lot of detail there, but the crux of it is:

"D6.1.1 For students being considered for a final award with Honours classification, the Programme Board of Examiners will determine for each student:

i the average numeric grade of the best 90 credits at Level 6 or higher; and
ii the average numeric grade of the best remaining 90 credits at Level 5 or higher; and
iii a combined average numeric grade, weighted 75% (i) and 25% (ii), above;
and
iv the student’s Honours classification will be considered on the basis of this combined average numeric grade."

They then use that number as follows:

"D6.3.1 Classification:
i For a first class Honours award a student must achieve a combined average numeric grade of 69.50 or more;
ii For an upper second class Honours award a student must achieve a combined average numeric grade of 59.50 or more;
iii For a lower second class Honours award a student must achieve a combined average numeric grade of 49.50 or more;
iv For a third class Honours award a student must achieve a combined average numeric grade of 39.50 or more."
Reply 2
Original post by DataVenia
I assume we're talking about a bachelor's degree (with honours) here? In which case, the way they establish your final degree classification is detailed in section "D6.1 Calculation of overall classification grade for Honours classification (Bachelor’s Degree)", starting on page 177, in their Academic Regulations Handbook for Undergraduate and Taught Postgraduate Programmes.

There is a lot of detail there, but the crux of it is:

"D6.1.1 For students being considered for a final award with Honours classification, the Programme Board of Examiners will determine for each student:

i the average numeric grade of the best 90 credits at Level 6 or higher; and
ii the average numeric grade of the best remaining 90 credits at Level 5 or higher; and
iii a combined average numeric grade, weighted 75% (i) and 25% (ii), above;
and
iv the student’s Honours classification will be considered on the basis of this combined average numeric grade."

They then use that number as follows:

"D6.3.1 Classification:
i For a first class Honours award a student must achieve a combined average numeric grade of 69.50 or more;
ii For an upper second class Honours award a student must achieve a combined average numeric grade of 59.50 or more;
iii For a lower second class Honours award a student must achieve a combined average numeric grade of 49.50 or more;
iv For a third class Honours award a student must achieve a combined average numeric grade of 39.50 or more."

So if for example I were to get a average of 60% from Level 5 and 57% from level 6 have I done enough for a 2:1 knowing I can use one or two level 6 modules to replace a 15 credit level 5 module?
So if for example I were to get a average of 60% from Level 5 and 57% from level 6 have I done enough for a 2:1 knowing I can use one or two level 6 modules to replace a 15 credit level 5 module?

I can't answer that without knowing what you mark was for each unit at each level, and how many credits each units was worth.

For example, let's suppose that Level 5 consisted of 4 modules, each worth 30 units and that you achieved exactly 60% in each of them for an "average of 60% from Level 5". Now let's suppose that Level 6 also consisted of 4 modules, each worth 30 units and that you achieved exactly 57% in each of them for an average of "57% from level 6". That scenario matches what you've written above, agreed?

Now let's apply their logic:
i. "the average numeric grade of the best 90 credits at Level 6 or higher" is 57% (as they were all 57% in this scenario).
ii. "the average numeric grade of the best remaining 90 credits at Level 5 or higher" is 60% (as all the level 5 modules were 60%, so they were the best from "Level 5 of higher").
iii. "a combined average numeric grade, weighted 75% (i) and 25% (ii), above" is 75% of 57% + 25% of 60%, or 57.75%.
iv. "the student’s Honours classification will be considered on the basis of this combined average numeric grade" - 57.75% would not be enough for a 2:1.

If you can let me know how many units were in level 5, how many credits each was worth, and what mark you got for each, and then do the same for level 6, I can work out you overall degree classification. But that level of detail is required to apply their rules.
Reply 4
I can't answer that without knowing what you mark was for each unit at each level, and how many credits each units was worth.

For example, let's suppose that Level 5 consisted of 4 modules, each worth 30 units and that you achieved exactly 60% in each of them for an "average of 60% from Level 5". Now let's suppose that Level 6 also consisted of 4 modules, each worth 30 units and that you achieved exactly 57% in each of them for an average of "57% from level 6". That scenario matches what you've written above, agreed?

i. "the average numeric grade of the best 90 credits at Level 6 or higher" is 57% (as they were all 57% in this scenario).
ii. "the average numeric grade of the best remaining 90 credits at Level 5 or higher" is 60% (as all the level 5 modules were 60%, so they were the best from "Level 5 of higher").
iii. "a combined average numeric grade, weighted 75% (i) and 25% (ii), above" is 75% of 57% + 25% of 60%, or 57.75%.
iv. "the student’s Honours classification will be considered on the basis of this combined average numeric grade" - 57.75% would not be enough for a 2:1.

If you can let me know how many units were in level 5, how many credits each was worth, and what mark you got for each, and then do the same for level 6, I can work out you overall degree classification. But that level of detail is required to apply their rules.

1. 8 modules
2. 15 credits worth 120 altogether
3. 69,65,65,62,55,42,41,40
(Level 5)

1. 5 modules
2. 3 30 credit modules and 2 15 credit modules
3. 68,53.3,48,48,40
(Level 6)

*Some maybe pending as estimated average’s have been given here but we will go with what’s been picked up so far.
Reply 5
I attended the student support team and they told me when classifying your degree averages get rounded by the university.
1. 8 modules
2. 15 credits worth 120 altogether
3. 69,65,65,62,55,42,41,40
(Level 5)

1. 5 modules
2. 3 30 credit modules and 2 15 credit modules
3. 68,53.3,48,48,40
(Level 6)

*Some maybe pending as estimated average’s have been given here but we will go with what’s been picked up so far.

For Level 6, which of those five marks are from the two 15-credit modules?
Reply 7
For Level 6, which of those five marks are from the two 15-credit modules?

Last two 48,40
Last two 48,40

OK, so let's apply their rules:

i. "the average numeric grade of the best 90 credits at Level 6 or higher" is the average of 68,53.3, and 48 - i.e. 56.76.
ii. "the average numeric grade of the best remaining 90 credits at Level 5 or higher" is the average of 69, 65, 65, 62, 55 (from Level 5) and 48 (from Level 6) - i.e. 60.66.
iii. "a combined average numeric grade, weighted 75% (i) and 25% (ii), above" is 75% of 56.76 + 25% of 60.66 is 57.74. (If we round 56.76 and 60.66 before combining them, we get a final figure of 58).
iv. "the student’s Honours classification will be considered on the basis of this combined average numeric grade" - a 2:2.

Which is those Level 6 marks is actually still "pending"? Is there any chance that 48 could go up to, say, 55 or more? You might just squeeze a 2:1 then, depending on how and when they do the rounding (i.e. per module, per Level, or on the final weighted average).
Reply 9
OK, so let's apply their rules:

i. "the average numeric grade of the best 90 credits at Level 6 or higher" is the average of 68,53.3, and 48 - i.e. 56.76.
ii. "the average numeric grade of the best remaining 90 credits at Level 5 or higher" is the average of 69, 65, 65, 62, 55 (from Level 5) and 48 (from Level 6) - i.e. 60.66.
iii. "a combined average numeric grade, weighted 75% (i) and 25% (ii), above" is 75% of 56.76 + 25% of 60.66 is 57.74. (If we round 56.76 and 60.66 before combining them, we get a final figure of 58).
iv. "the student’s Honours classification will be considered on the basis of this combined average numeric grade" - a 2:2.

Which is those Level 6 marks is actually still "pending"? Is there any chance that 48 could go up to, say, 55 or more? You might just squeeze a 2:1 then, depending on how and when they do the rounding (i.e. per module, per Level, or on the final weighted average).

The 68 I’m yet to receive results from my Dissertation or Project Presentation. And I wrote and worked my socks off on the report and presentation.
The 68 I’m yet to receive results from my Dissertation or Project Presentation. And I wrote and worked my socks off on the report and presentation.

Understood. I guess you've just got to hope that you get a few more marks than you've predicted, and that those are enough to get you over the 2:1 line. As and when you get any updates on those numbers, just drop the end of this thread and I'll check the impact.

Good luck. :crossedf:

(BTW, it looks like I inadvertently took that 68 as a 69 when doing the above calculations, although it doesn't make any material difference.)
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 11
Understood. I guess you've just got to hope that you get a few more marks than you've predicted, and that those are enough to get you over the 2:1 line. As and when you get any updates on those numbers, just drop the end of this thread and I'll check the impact.

(BTW, it looks like I inadvertently took that 68 as a 69 when doing the above calculations, although it doesn't make any material difference.)

Thank you I’m going to re-appeal regardless the outcome of the report.
Thank you I’m going to re-appeal regardless the outcome of the report.

On what basis?
Reply 13
Original post by ageshallnot
On what basis?

If it happens to be a 2:1 I believe I did everything to get a high end 1st in both elements of coursework.
Reply 14
Understood. I guess you've just got to hope that you get a few more marks than you've predicted, and that those are enough to get

updates on those numbers, just drop the end of this thread and I'll check the impact.

Hi I got a 63 in my dissertation and a 66 in my presentation. I have a average of 64.7% so 65% and a year average of 55% what does this mean now and can I still get a 2:1?
Hi I got a 63 in my dissertation and a 66 in my presentation. I have a average of 64.7% so 65% and a year average of 55% what does this mean now and can I still get a 2:1?

When I worked this out in post #9 we were working on an estimate of 68%, which confirmed in your reply: "The 68 I’m yet to receive results from my Dissertation or Project Presentation." With the 68% estimate, your final degree classification was a 2:2. I believe from the above that for this module, it's actually 65%. Have I got that right? If your actual mark is less that the estimate, and the estimate resulted in a 2:2, then the actual lower mark is not going to result in a 2:1. :frown:

If any of the other marks change (either because estimates become actual marks), or because you manage to appeal somehow (which you mentioned you were planning to do), let me know.
Reply 16
When I worked this out in post #9 we were working on an estimate of 68%, which confirmed in your reply: "The 68 I’m yet to receive results from my Dissertation or Project Presentation." With the 68% estimate, your final degree classification was a 2:2. I believe from the above that for this module, it's actually 65%. Have I got that right? If your actual mark is less that the estimate, and the estimate resulted in a 2:2, then the actual lower mark is not going to result in a 2:1. :frown:

If any of the other marks change (either because estimates become actual marks), or because you manage to appeal somehow (which you mentioned you were planning to do), let me know.

Yeah I’m going to appeal I’m going to have a 3rd marker, assess the report before making a formal appeal if needed. Would the 15 credit module make any difference if it knocked off the 42 from Level 5
Reply 17
Although I think grade guide has marked my average for the 3 90 credit modules incorrectly. I was wondering if I could give it to you please @DataVenia to work out.

Why do you think that each section has been wrongly marked by about 10 percentage points? Was something missed? Did both markers not follow the mark scheme?
Yeah I’m going to appeal I’m going to have a 3rd marker, assess the report before making a formal appeal if needed. Would the 15 credit module make any difference if it knocked off the 42 from Level 5

When you refer to "the 15 credit module", which one do you mean? I count 8 15-credit modules in Level 5 and 2 15-credit modules in Level 6.

As for your reference to the "42 from Level 5" (is this the 15 credit module you're referring to?), I'll quote what I wrote in post #9:

You will note that there is no mention of the lowest three 15-credit modules from Level 5, for which you scored 42, 41, and 40. This is because once we've used the "best 90 credits at Level 6 or higher" (for which we are now using 65, 53.3 and 48 - all for 30 credits) then when we start to look for "the best remaining 90 credits at Level 5 or higher" we find 69, 65, 65, 62, 55 and 48 - all for 15 units - where that final 48 is from Level 6 and the others are from Level 5. So the "42 from Level 5" doesn't factor in at all.

We're effectively ignoring the impact of 60 credits in total, the 42, 41, and 40 (all for 15 credits) from Level 5 and the 40 (also for 15 credits) from Level 6. Appealing any of these will have zero impact unless you can get them above 48 (your next lowest score). I assume it's too late now to appeal any of the Level 5 modules anyway.

By the way, the 53.3 is oddly precise, seeing as you've given whole numbers for each of the other modules. Is this technically still "pending"?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending