The Student Room Group

Applying to Masters at Oxford without having attained 70%

I am applying to masters at Oxford, graduating from LSE. They have asked for a first class or high 2:1 for the course which I am applying to. I have not attained a first class, but I assume that my average grade would be around 66. My question is: I found achieving first class honours very difficult at an institution like LSE. I have a friend from Oxford Brookes university who is applying to the same course as I am, and he is expected to get 74% in his undergraduate degree. Not to be rude, but I am almost certain that I am more academically rigorous and inquisitive than my friend (in my opinion). I just find the entry requirement system very unfair, and I don't know if I would have a chance without having obtained a first class in my second year. Please let me know what you guys think, as I might be overthinking in that I also have to submit academic statements, academic essays, and references.
(edited 7 months ago)
Original post by Shuei
I am applying to masters at Oxford, graduating from LSE. They have asked for a first class or high 2:1 for the course which I am applying to. I have not attained a first class, but I assume that my average grade would be around 66. My question is: I found achieving first class honours very difficult at an institution like LSE. I have a friend from Oxford Brookes university who is applying to the same course as I am, and he is expected to get 74% in his undergraduate degree. Not to be rude, but I am almost certain that I am more academically rigorous and inquisitive than my friend (in my opinion). I just find the entry requirement system very unfair, and I don't know if I would have a chance without having obtained a first class in my second year. Please let me know what you guys think, as I might be overthinking in that I also have to submit academic statements, academic essays, and references.

Over-thinking. Oxford admissions know very well how to select the academically strongest students.
Original post by Shuei

There are people who got in with less. You’re overthinking. Apply and go for it
Reply 3
I got in with a high 2:1 from St Andrews. I know people who applied for the same course with a 1st and didn't get an offer. Your statement, work sample, and references count as well. Just apply and see :smile:
(edited 3 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending