The Student Room Group
School of Oriental and African Studies
London

SOAS, Combined degree or single?

>I am finishing the foundation program in SOAS this year.
>I need to Choose between 1. BA Politics and International relations, and 2. BA International relations. Both are in SOAS.
>I rate myself as mediocre, had struggled a bit when I was writing my assignment, met 5 out of 6 deadlines. Expecting 65 from the overall for foundation.
>My native language is not English but I got A in IGCSE English when I was doing sixth form in the UK.
>I want to know how much more workload is ahead of me if I decide to choose combined degree instead of the alternative.
>I also want to know the difference in emploibility between combined degree and single degree.
Original post by CheungChan
>I need to Choose between 1. BA Politics and International relations, and 2. BA International relations. Both are in SOAS.
>I rate myself as mediocre, had struggled a bit when I was writing my assignment, met 5 out of 6 deadlines. Expecting 65 from the overall for foundation.
>My native language is not English but I got A in IGCSE English when I was doing sixth form in the UK.
>I want to know how much more workload is ahead of me if I decide to choose combined degree instead of the alternative.
>I also want to know the difference in emploibility between combined degree and single degree.

I did a single honours programme and then switched to dual honours for my second year so here's my perspective!
1) I wouldn't say dual honours is objectively more difficult than single. You still have to do the same amount of credits, so in theory the workload is the same.
2) BUT doing a dual honours degree gives you extremely limited options in terms of choosing your modules, particularly in your first couple of years. You have to complete the compulsory modules of both sides of your degree, so you don't have that same flexibility of choosing coursework-only modules or 'easier' modules. The core modules are often more work-heavy, so it can become quite intense.
3) Considering politics and IR have a lot of crossover, I wouldn't say employability is that different unless you want to go into a very specific graduate degree. On the job market they are usually lumped in as the same.
School of Oriental and African Studies
London
Reply 2
Original post by CheungChan

I am considering doing the foundation year programme. Please can you share some insight into how it is structured? Do you have classes every day? Are they long days etc. I'm trying to get an idea of how I can do this and work.
Original post by Masterbob
I am considering doing the foundation year programme. Please can you share some insight into how it is structured? Do you have classes every day? Are they long days etc. I'm trying to get an idea of how I can do this and work.

Hi!

SOAS offers 2 different foundation year courses. You can look at the structure of them both here:

https://www.soas.ac.uk/study/find-course/ba/bsc-business-management-economics-law-foundation-year

https://www.soas.ac.uk/study/find-course/ba/bsc-social-sciences-arts-humanities-foundation-year

You will have 4 modules per term, that consist of a mixture of lectures and tutorials. This means, overall, you will roughly have between 9-12 contact hours per week. Whether you have classes everyday and how they are distributed, will depend on your personal timetable.

I hope that this helps and that everything goes well!

- K (BSc Accounting and Finance)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending