The Student Room Group

Technically got an A* in my English A-level - but it was old syllabus

I took my English A-level a year earlier than the rest of my A-levels, finishing it in summer 2009 and therefore using the old syllabus which didn't have A*s. I got an A at AS and 90% at A2, meaning that *technically* I did get an A*, but my result is published as an A.
My question is: how can I make this known? Won't it be assumed that I took English at the same time as my other subjects (2008-2010)? and therefore will look like I just got an A rather than a grade higher?
On your CV, it will look like that, but on UCAS and things you can list it as certified in 2009 - they'll know the A* isn't available until August 2010 anyway if they work in the education sector.
Reply 2
whisperings
I took my English A-level a year earlier than the rest of my A-levels, finishing it in summer 2009 and therefore using the old syllabus which didn't have A*s. I got an A at AS and 90% at A2, meaning that *technically* I did get an A*, but my result is published as an A.
My question is: how can I make this known? Won't it be assumed that I took English at the same time as my other subjects (2008-2010)? and therefore will look like I just got an A rather than a grade higher?

No previous A-levels before the A* that would have been awarded an A* can be awarded an A*, you have to stick with an A.
whisperings

NO YOU DID NOT GET AN A*

Along with the A* grade came a whole set of new syllabuses, many of which were harder.

Just because you did well on the old syllabus does not mean you should assume you would have got an A* on the new one.
Reply 4
bodybuilder22
NO YOU DID NOT GET AN A*

Along with the A* grade came a whole set of new syllabuses, many of which were harder.

Just because you did well on the old syllabus does not mean you should assume you would have got an A* on the new one.

I am not assuming anything, I'm just worried that now A is probably being seen as the new B, my a-levels won't look as strong.
Reply 5
no it is not gonna be treated like a B, A*A*A* is not the new AAA!

you can always justify it in your personal statement or even ask to be included in your reference
bodybuilder22

I agree there were new syllabuses, but I don't see the evidence for them being harder? The maths syllabus was reduced in content for one and the intention was to make it 'more accessible'.

Not sure about others.

Latest