The Student Room Group

AQA

Hi, my brother is supposed to be sitting his GCSE's but unfortunately on Wednesday he got appendicitis and had to have emergency surgery. Therefore, he has missed multiple exams and will potentially miss all papers for Psychology and English Literature. For psychology his exam board is AQA and they said if he doesn’t sit 15% of the exams he doesn’t get a grade. I do not see how this is fair as he isn’t physically well enough to sit the exams, he has spent the last two years learning the content and spent a lot of time revising but yet will get no grade for this. Does anyone know what we can do in this situation? Or able to help us understand the logic behind this.
Has your brother completed mocks and coursework?

I am not sure how GCSE's are run now as I did the old syllabus, but surely there has to be some agreement that ensures that he at least gets a pass grade on these exam papers he has missed? Especially considering he has had to just have sudden major surgery for a serious illness. I am quite unsure otherwise, and do not know what you can do in this situation as I am quite limited knowledge wise about this.
I think your parent(s) or guardian(s), need to talk to your exams office at school and possibly consult more professional legal advice than what can be offered on here.
Reply 2
Original post by ellac_3
Hi, my brother is supposed to be sitting his GCSE's but unfortunately on Wednesday he got appendicitis and had to have emergency surgery. Therefore, he has missed multiple exams and will potentially miss all papers for Psychology and English Literature. For psychology his exam board is AQA and they said if he doesn’t sit 15% of the exams he doesn’t get a grade. I do not see how this is fair as he isn’t physically well enough to sit the exams, he has spent the last two years learning the content and spent a lot of time revising but yet will get no grade for this. Does anyone know what we can do in this situation? Or able to help us understand the logic behind this.

It is possible to take exams in hospital then the school applies for extenuating circumstances.

Quick Reply

Latest