The Student Room Group

what is MMM equivalent to for BTEC?

I'm trying to work out what I need to aim for on my second year to get the grade needed for my course.
I'm doing my second year of animal management technical extended level 3, I mainly achieved a merit on the first year.

What is MMM equivalent to in a levels?
Original post by Alicehale6
I'm trying to work out what I need to aim for on my second year to get the grade needed for my course.
I'm doing my second year of animal management technical extended level 3, I mainly achieved a merit on the first year.

MMM is equivalent in UCAS points to 3 Grade Cs at A level.
Reply 2
Original post by bamtutor

So if I want to go onto further education such as an honours degree would they expect me to have an overall grade higher than MMM?
And do employers expect people to have a high overall grade too?
So if I want to go onto further education such as an honours degree would they expect me to have an overall grade higher than MMM?
And do employers expect people to have a high overall grade too?

You will need to look at University websites and check their entry requirements. Some state by UCAS points and some state actual specific A levels / BTEC grades. MMM will give you 96 UCAS points and a lot of Universities ask for 120-136 (DDD-DDM) and some ask for 104-120. it depends on what subject you want to study and what subject your BTEC is in. If you only have MMM you may be able to do an HND or a Foundation degreee. If you pass these succesfully with the required grades, you would be able to top up to a full degree.
You will need to look at University websites and check their entry requirements. Some state by UCAS points and some state actual specific A levels / BTEC grades. MMM will give you 96 UCAS points and a lot of Universities ask for 120-136 (DDD-DDM) and some ask for 104-120. it depends on what subject you want to study and what subject your BTEC is in. If you only have MMM you may be able to do an HND or a Foundation degreee. If you pass these succesfully with the required grades, you would be able to top up to a full degree.

If you did 9 BTEC units in your first year, then a Pass = 70, Merit = 80, Distinction = 90
If you got all Merits (9x80=720 = DM overall)

In your 2nd year, If you got (18 Merits = 18x80 = 1440 = DMM) 112 ucas points

Hope this helps

Year 1
D*D* 790+
D*D 770-789
DD 750-769
DM 720-749
MM 690-719
MP 660-689
PP 630-659

Year 2 UCAS
D*D*D* 1590 168
D*D*D 1560-1589 160
D*DD 1530-1559 152
DDD 1500-1529 144
DDM 1460-1499 128
DMM 1420-1459 112
MMM 1380-1419 96
MMP 1340-1379 80
MPP 1300-1339 64
PPP 1260-1299 48

Took me ages to work this out for my daughter who is doing a level 3 extended btec
Original post by sandrapaine
If you did 9 BTEC units in your first year, then a Pass = 70, Merit = 80, Distinction = 90
If you got all Merits (9x80=720 = DM overall)

In your 2nd year, If you got (18 Merits = 18x80 = 1440 = DMM) 112 ucas points

Hope this helps

Year 1
D*D* 790+
D*D 770-789
DD 750-769
DM 720-749
MM 690-719
MP 660-689
PP 630-659

Year 2 UCAS
D*D*D* 1590 168
D*D*D 1560-1589 160
D*DD 1530-1559 152
DDD 1500-1529 144
DDM 1460-1499 128
DMM 1420-1459 112
MMM 1380-1419 96
MMP 1340-1379 80
MPP 1300-1339 64
PPP 1260-1299 48

Took me ages to work this out for my daughter who is doing a level 3 extended btec

This is correct for the old BTEC QCF courses but not the new RQF course with exams. The OP hasnt said what they are doing and from the title it could be an OCR or C&G qual and not a BTEC. @Alicehale6 let me know which course you are doing and I can work it out for you.
Reply 6
This is correct for the old BTEC QCF courses but not the new RQF course with exams. The OP hasnt said what they are doing and from the title it could be an OCR or C&G qual and not a BTEC. @Alicehale6 let me know which course you are doing and I can work it out for you.

I am currently doing animal management (zoo) extended technical diploma level 3. The course is under city & guild.
I am currently doing animal management (zoo) extended technical diploma level 3. The course is under city & guild.

Ah ok, this is completely different from a BTEC and is only equivalent to 2 A levels so you cannot get an MMM. The highest grade for this course is Dis*Dis*, so you could be on track for an overall MM. The specification is online and Pages 40-41 show how it is calculated, but it is quite confusing as there are weightings for Exams and coursework units. Your best bet is to speak to your tutor who should be able to explain it better and calculate what grade you could get at the end of year 2. You should aim for all Distinctions this year as this will help to increase your overall grade. I have looked at a local College delivering the Animal management C&G and they say that you can progress to a Foundation degree and not a full Honours degree. However, if you do well in a Foundation degree, you would be able to top up to a full degree. The spec is at; https://www.cityandguilds.com/-/media/productdocuments/land_based_services/animal_management/0172/0172_level_3/animal_management/centre_documents/0172-32_l3_adv_tech_ext_dip_in_animal_management_qualification_handbook_720_v2-5-pdf.ashx
All of this is based on you doing a Ext Tech Diploma (720 GLH), but it is possible that you are doing this in one year and your second year is the Advanced Ext Tech Diploma (1080 GLH). If this isthe case, then you can get an MMM.
hii!! sorry this has no answer to your question but i have a question for you about animal management.

i have just failed my first year at collage and thinking about joining a new collage that focuses on animal care and animal management, what is the animal management (zoo) diploma course like? im really interested in working with animals so i would really appreciate a response! thank you!!
Reply 9
Original post by FluffyRedPanda
hii!! sorry this has no answer to your question but i have a question for you about animal management.

i have just failed my first year at collage and thinking about joining a new collage that focuses on animal care and animal management, what is the animal management (zoo) diploma course like? im really interested in working with animals so i would really appreciate a response! thank you!!

Depends on what level you decide to do as you have animal care level 1, animal care level 2 workbase, animal care technical and animal management level 3.

So I've done three of these qualifications (level 2 workbase, level 2 technical and level 3), The level 2 workbase you are mostly producing portfolios as evidences of the year course.
Level 2 technical gets a little more harder since exams are involved and this is where you start to do synoptics which is where you are given an animal and have to do a presentation doing a health check and talking it through on what you are doing and why, you would be told months before the synoptics of what animal you have to plan your notes.

Level 2 also has a theory exam but it's just multiple choice which is simple enough
The subjects i did in level 2 technical were:
- Biology
- wildlife
- maths and English (depending if you've passed).
- feeding and accommodation
- health and welfare
- Practical sessions (once a week)

The level 2 was technical was a good course if you want to do as it's only a year course and it gives you an insight of what it's like working in the animal care industry, which if you enjoy it help to decide if you want to exceed onto another level.

So I've just finished the first year of the level 3, just to let you know some colleges not all will let you do the year 3 if you still haven't passed your maths/English you'll just have to re-take it again.
So I'm not going to lie the first year has stressed me out alot but it's mostly due to covid with having to do lessons online.
Okay so the first year included:
- practical sessions (once a week).
- professional practice
- animal behaviour and communication
- training
- exotic ( which only the people who has to re-take subjects such as maths do on the first year)
- biology
- health and husbandry
- feeding and nutrition
- farm livestock ( if you've passed maths/ english you'll do this instead of exotics on the first year)
- welfare and breeding
- health and safety.

Okay so for this course you have 9 units, we dis 3 exams, the first one was at the start of the year being health and safety, and then you have biology and the last exam will be the theory exam but unlike level 2 you will be required to answer it in full sentences.

The theory exam contains four subjects that you will need to revise:
- feeding and nutrition.
- animal behaviour and communication.
- health and husbandry
- welfare and breeding.

Also you to pass every exam in order to pass the course.

So for all 3 of these courses you will be in college 3 days a week, the only two days will be for revising and for work experience (you normal need to complete around 150 hours).

If there's anymore questions let me know.
Depends on what level you decide to do as you have animal care level 1, animal care level 2 workbase, animal care technical and animal management level 3.

So I've done three of these qualifications (level 2 workbase, level 2 technical and level 3), The level 2 workbase you are mostly producing portfolios as evidences of the year course.
Level 2 technical gets a little more harder since exams are involved and this is where you start to do synoptics which is where you are given an animal and have to do a presentation doing a health check and talking it through on what you are doing and why, you would be told months before the synoptics of what animal you have to plan your notes.

Level 2 also has a theory exam but it's just multiple choice which is simple enough
The subjects i did in level 2 technical were:
- Biology
- wildlife
- maths and English (depending if you've passed).
- feeding and accommodation
- health and welfare
- Practical sessions (once a week)

The level 2 was technical was a good course if you want to do as it's only a year course and it gives you an insight of what it's like working in the animal care industry, which if you enjoy it help to decide if you want to exceed onto another level.

So I've just finished the first year of the level 3, just to let you know some colleges not all will let you do the year 3 if you still haven't passed your maths/English you'll just have to re-take it again.
So I'm not going to lie the first year has stressed me out alot but it's mostly due to covid with having to do lessons online.
Okay so the first year included:
- practical sessions (once a week).
- professional practice
- animal behaviour and communication
- training
- exotic ( which only the people who has to re-take subjects such as maths do on the first year)
- biology
- health and husbandry
- feeding and nutrition
- farm livestock ( if you've passed maths/ english you'll do this instead of exotics on the first year)
- welfare and breeding
- health and safety.

Okay so for this course you have 9 units, we dis 3 exams, the first one was at the start of the year being health and safety, and then you have biology and the last exam will be the theory exam but unlike level 2 you will be required to answer it in full sentences.

The theory exam contains four subjects that you will need to revise:
- feeding and nutrition.
- animal behaviour and communication.
- health and husbandry
- welfare and breeding.

Also you to pass every exam in order to pass the course.

So for all 3 of these courses you will be in college 3 days a week, the only two days will be for revising and for work experience (you normal need to complete around 150 hours).

If there's anymore questions let me know.

thank you sooooo muchhh!! that’s all very much appreciated!

Hi Alice

I’ve completed level 3 year one and just finished level 3 year 2. I passed with distinctions and distinction stars. I am more than happy to help with anything if you require

Lauren :smile:
I got a MPP what would that be coz my mum only remembers them as ABCD not the new way
Original post by Jfnfnsnfmsfm
I got a MPP what would that be coz my mum only remembers them as ABCD not the new way

MPP is equivalent (in UCAS points) to CEE at A level

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending