The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

RollerBall
I'm serving McFlurries right now :wink:

Do you give them out for free? Because I think you and I could be friends here.
Teachers are too easy to bribe, teachers can be petty and spiteful, teachers may award high or low grades to make the school look good.
Reply 22
The system you are talking about was used in Russia for many years but now no longer operates. This is for three reasons. Different teachers have different standards. For instance I attended the Russian Embassy School in London and during my education had 2 different Physics teachers. With one I was scraping a pass as she was very demanding, with the other I did rather well since he was incredibly laid back and never really tested us. This system also leads to corruption, it was very common for parents to pay teachers and their child would thus recieve perfect grades. Lastly teachers can be biased, and I remember them imposing different standards on different pupils to get the same grades, hardly very fair.

This of course had a knock on effect on university's as the diploma's became worthless and led to every single university having its own entrance exam which is a nightmare as you had to prepare for each entrance exam and they all wanted you to know different things.

I have recently finished my A-levels and I must say A-levels were a million times better.
Erm, I think that would be an absolutely awful idea lol.

How on earth would teachers know what to compare against for a good grade? Sure some schools have loads of people getting A*s, and some schools have hardly any. It would inevitably be absolutely impossible to determine if teachers in different schools were awarding the grades fairly.

I can see absolutely no positives of having teachers give out final grades.

Exams are unbiased, teachers are biased.
No that be crazy. If it was like that I would have got something like UUU. Seriously.
Reply 25
I've said a few ****** up things to my lecturers when mad, i would be too worried that they would mark me down and i wouldn't be able to concentrate on my exams.
It would make grades and students impossible to compare, defying the whole point of grades in the first place.

My psychology teacher would have doubtlessly and happily given me an A, yet the exam decided I wasn't quite an A. Think about missing grades by a couple of UMS as well and how that fine line could never be put in place by teachers nationwide.
Who can lick bum the most?
Reply 28
greatmonte
definitely this

hey just saw you have a medicine offer of AAB!

1) Congratulations :biggrin:
2) Where? and what grades did you get in which subjects? :smile: (preferable UMS)
3) What was your UKCAT score? :smile: and what other extra curricular did you have to offer?

Would mean so much to me if you replied, im a year below you, hoping to apply next year! Thanks :biggrin:
Gandalf_is_a_girl
Do you give them out for free? Because I think you and I could be friends here.

Why, yes. Yes I do. Along with a variety of things I shouldn't for those I'm friends with :p:

i'm no superman
FYL :console:

It's all good.
Reply 30
Cesare Borgia
What if you're intelligent, but teachers don't like you?

Teachers can be petty and spiteful I'll have you know. And many younger teachers in state schools are woefully thick.

Maybe "woefully thick" is a bit far but there is definitely some truth here.
Flying Cookie
It would make grades and students impossible to compare, defying the whole point of grades in the first place.

This, exactly.
Reply 32
PAPAdawg
lol it'd just end up being a popularity contest. i know plenty of people who my teachers would have happily falsely testified against in court on charges of terrorism if they could who are now at very good universities, even oxbridge, including myself i'll have you know.

i respect decent teachers, who are sadly few, but the truth is the majority fo them are actually very, very spiteful and judgmental of those they dont like, if you're lucky enough not be one of the judged then they seem all very sweet, but almost every teacher i ever had would single me out and give me crappy reports even though i know do a maths based bsc at a russell group uni.

This.
I never would have got the A-Levels I just got. Hated by my teachers. Others would have got grades they didnt deserve - favouritism was rife...
Reply 34
While all good points, the irony of this is that, to a greater or lesser extent, this is how university degrees are decided...My university didn't bring in anonomisation as compulsary for coursework until a good couple of years after I started.
This is a horrible idea since now if kids do badly on exams it reflects poorly on a teacher. If the teachers were giving final grades their incentive to teach well would be hugely diminished.
Reply 36
hahahaaaa oh god if this was the case, i'd be given no higher than an E
Reply 37
No, exams are better and fairer. Yeah you can fluke an exam, or do badly in one and so they aren't always representative of your ability - both of this extremes have happened to me over the last four years, but it is still a better system than results being based purely on teacher assessment.
alex0909
The system you are talking about was used in Russia for many years but now no longer operates. This is for three reasons. Different teachers have different standards. For instance I attended the Russian Embassy School in London and during my education had 2 different Physics teachers. With one I was scraping a pass as she was very demanding, with the other I did rather well since he was incredibly laid back and never really tested us. This system also leads to corruption, it was very common for parents to pay teachers and their child would thus recieve perfect grades. Lastly teachers can be biased, and I remember them imposing different standards on different pupils to get the same grades, hardly very fair.

This of course had a knock on effect on university's as the diploma's became worthless and led to every single university having its own entrance exam which is a nightmare as you had to prepare for each entrance exam and they all wanted you to know different things.

I have recently finished my A-levels and I must say A-levels were a million times better.

I had to deal with grades given by teachers before I did the IB. While there wasn't any obvious corruption, there was clear favouritism and the whole system was inefficient. Vast amounts of time were spent on vivas and it was a total disaster. I probably spent more energy playing the game and getting the teachers to give me a break then actually learning. I'm so happy that I am done with that system. I did well and I thought it was retarded.
This works completely fine in America and probably many other countries. Why do you all assume teachers would be handing out grades willy nilly based on a whim? :rolleyes: You do realise there would still be standards and accountability, and the vast majority of teachers would want to keep their jobs and would therefore stick to the standards?

Latest

Trending

Trending