The Student Room Group

Art gcse

Hi, I'm going in to year 11 next year and I have been stuck on a grade 6 in art all year and I would like to get higher. Is it possible to get higher and does anyone have any tips? Thanks!
Hi, former art GCSE student here! I was predicted a grade 6, but ended up getting a 7. Honestly I'd been arguing with my art teacher for years, so I think she'd been being harsher on me than the other students for the coursework, but luckily the other art teacher stepped in for my final. However, we did not do an exam, as I did mine in 2022 (last slightly COVID year lol), so I cannot really give you advice about the exam except keep a clear head? I panicked in my mocks (Back when we thought we would be doing an exam) and ended up doing a tiger when I was supposed to be drawing a butterfly. Look, don't be me, okay?

Most of all, don't argue with your art teacher, no matter how homophobic and racist they're being... I had a fun time in that class (/sarcasm). But if you want more art-specific tips, I'd say it's mainly mindset. I know that sounds silly and wishy-washy, but art isn't like maths where you can memorise formulae, or english where you can learn and practice a writing style. I think the biggest impact on my final piece (Truly my best piece ever, a self portrait I spent weeks on) was allowing myself to just feel. I did all that sappy stuff, I just let myself be free and do whatever the hell I wanted. I was basically thinking "This teacher hates me so she'll give me a bad mark anyway, so it doesn't matter, I may as well paint what's in my heart, not what she thinks I should be doing". I think that's what art is meant to be, personal and slightly rebellious.

Apart from that I don't really have any tips, I'm no great artist, but I hope someone who's better than me comes along and gives you advice on, I don't know, techniques and stuff. Best of luck, I hope it turns out well for you.

Quick Reply

Latest