The Student Room Group

A level Computer science OCR NEA

Hi, I'm currently a little stressed about what to pick as I want to aim for an A* but realise the grade boundary is quite high.

I know I need to try and include as many different techniques, data structures etc but I'm not sure if the scope of my project will allow me to and if it will be complex enough. I was thinking of making a chatbot (but without AI) for the user to interact with and this then linking to some sort of database to perhaps book meetings or something....

is this difficult enough? I'm worried that I might be doing something too easy but at the same time I'm doing 4 a-levels so don't want to pick something I won't be able to complete either.

Would you recommend coding it all now as I am currently focusing on ucas and admission test prep over the summer, or is it manageable to complete alongside normal work?

Also would appreciate any general advice anyone has relating to CS and the NEA :smile:
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by indecisive02
I know I need to try and include as many different techniques, data structures etc but I'm not sure if the scope of my project will allow me to and if it will be complex enough. I was thinking of making a chatbot (but without AI) for the user to interact with and this then linking to some sort of database to perhaps book meetings or something....

is this difficult enough? I'm worried that I might be doing something too easy but at the same time I'm doing 4 a-levels so don't want to pick something I won't be able to complete either.

I think this sounds like a good idea, primarily because it's very flexible in terms of its scope.

At the "simple" end of the scale, the chatbot could allow you to book meeting rooms (you specify the room name, date and time).

This could progressively get as complicated as you wanted to make it. You could cancel or amend bookings. You could retrieve details on existing bookings. You could search for a time when the room was available. You could book recurring meetings (which themselves could have simple or complex rules: repeat every Tuesday; every weekday, 1st month, 2nd Monday of the month, last Friday of the month). You could book rooms which have particular features (size of room, IT equipment installed, etc.).

Once you'd dealt with that you could handle booking meetings with people (which might mean having to check for a 1 hour window when they were all available), you might send reminders to people when a meeting was due, etc. These people might be in different time zones. Those reminders could be via WhatsApp, SMS, e-mail etc. You could try to integrate it with existing calendar software. The list of possible features just goes on and on.

This can certainly be "difficult enough" if you want it to be. Or it can be as "simple" as time allows. It's your project, so you get to define the scope.
Reply 2
Hi, I'm currently a little stressed about what to pick as I want to aim for an A* but realise the grade boundary is quite high.

Would you recommend coding it all now as I am currently focusing on ucas and admission test prep over the summer, or is it manageable to complete alongside normal work?

Also would appreciate any general advice anyone has relating to CS and the NEA :smile:

Just completed the OCR CS course this summer and have achieved a high mark in my NEA (My teacher wouldn't tell me what exactly because they aren't allowed but they said it was near the top end). In my opinion it sounds like your project might have a limited scope and I would not say that simply interfacing with a database would be sufficient; it is not that you need to to include 'as many techniques and data structures as possible', it is more that you need to demonstrate you are a competent programmer by for example including a complex alogithm (e.g. search/sorting, tree/graph traversal, implementing your own data structure like a queue/circular queue, collision detection, enemy AI/pathfinding, etc.).

To give an idea of complexity, I created a 2D game in Unity which had AI that used A* search to pathfind to the player. The advise we were given and that I would relay to you is that a game in something such as Unity or Pygame is much more suited to the programming project than a regular program because you will find it easier to complete your folder work as stakeholders, user requirements, testing, feedback and evaluation are much clearer and obvious when creating a game. This doesn't meant you wouldn't be able to make a booking system that's complicated enough but it is just easier to guarantee that you won't waste your time writing code that won't add to your grade. All but 1 student in my CS group of 8 made games and it is easy and quick to learn how to use Unity or Pygame on Youtube if you are already a competent programmer.

Here is some extra advise I would give you:
Remember that your project MUST have a GUI.
The majority of the marks are for the folder work (mostly research, computational thinking and testing) and the final coded solution isn't worth too much in comparison.
Pick a stakeholder or two and stick with them for the entire duration of the project (This could be a classmate, friend, teacher or someone who might use your program). Interview your stakeholders for your research to find your user requirements. Also get feedback from them WHILE you're designing/developing and include this in your folder.
Remember to explain in detail how your code will work and use pseudocode to plan your code first.
Don't make the mistake of coding your final solution before you have completed the research and design part of your folder first.
Iteratively test as you develop and screenshot code before the error and after you've fixed the error and explain what was happening and how you fixed it (this will help to satisfy your testing section which is worth like 20 marks)
An nice way to show your final testing is to record a video of your program/game being used and tests being performed. Then create a table with timestamps and explain what is being tested and why.
Avoid 'Project Creep' by adding unnecessary features and details (e.g. fancy graphics and animations)
There are a couple of exemplar project folders from OCR that have been marked and moderated which have comments about what was done well. You can find these by searching for 'ocr a level cs exemplar' on Google (the one called 'Set A High' is particularily good).
And finally remember not to spend too much time on your NEA; it's only 20% of your grade.

Good luck and I hope you manage to figure out what you want to do for your project!
Reply 3
Original post by clawntl
Just completed the OCR CS course this summer and have achieved a high mark in my NEA (My teacher wouldn't tell me what exactly because they aren't allowed but they said it was near the top end). In my opinion it sounds like your project might have a limited scope and I would not say that simply interfacing with a database would be sufficient; it is not that you need to to include 'as many techniques and data structures as possible', it is more that you need to demonstrate you are a competent programmer by for example including a complex alogithm (e.g. search/sorting, tree/graph traversal, implementing your own data structure like a queue/circular queue, collision detection, enemy AI/pathfinding, etc.).

To give an idea of complexity, I created a 2D game in Unity which had AI that used A* search to pathfind to the player. The advise we were given and that I would relay to you is that a game in something such as Unity or Pygame is much more suited to the programming project than a regular program because you will find it easier to complete your folder work as stakeholders, user requirements, testing, feedback and evaluation are much clearer and obvious when creating a game. This doesn't meant you wouldn't be able to make a booking system that's complicated enough but it is just easier to guarantee that you won't waste your time writing code that won't add to your grade. All but 1 student in my CS group of 8 made games and it is easy and quick to learn how to use Unity or Pygame on Youtube if you are already a competent programmer.

The majority of the marks are for the folder work (mostly research, computational thinking and testing) and the final coded solution isn't worth too much in comparison.
Pick a stakeholder or two and stick with them for the entire duration of the project (This could be a classmate, friend, teacher or someone who might use your program). Interview your stakeholders for your research to find your user requirements. Also get feedback from them WHILE you're designing/developing and include this in your folder.
Remember to explain in detail how your code will work and use pseudocode to plan your code first.
Don't make the mistake of coding your final solution before you have completed the research and design part of your folder first.
Iteratively test as you develop and screenshot code before the error and after you've fixed the error and explain what was happening and how you fixed it (this will help to satisfy your testing section which is worth like 20 marks)
An nice way to show your final testing is to record a video of your program/game being used and tests being performed. Then create a table with timestamps and explain what is being tested and why.
Avoid 'Project Creep' by adding unnecessary features and details (e.g. fancy graphics and animations)
There are a couple of exemplar project folders from OCR that have been marked and moderated which have comments about what was done well. You can find these by searching for 'ocr a level cs exemplar' on Google (the one called 'Set A High' is particularily good).
And finally remember not to spend too much time on your NEA; it's only 20% of your grade.

Good luck and I hope you manage to figure out what you want to do for your project!

Thank you so much for your advice! I looked at some of the examples, they're so impressive and complex (I'm not sure if I have the capabilities to create a computer vision software :s-smilie:) I was just wondering how you learnt how to code the path finding AI? Do you think using AI really makes a difference in your grade? Also I'm a bit stuck on how to get started (currently quite stressed with it) and where I should even begin as I'm not 100% sure what to really make that will get me a good enough grade...any advice?
Reply 4
Original post by DataVenia
I think this sounds like a good idea, primarily because it's very flexible in terms of its scope.

At the "simple" end of the scale, the chatbot could allow you to book meeting rooms (you specify the room name, date and time).

This could progressively get as complicated as you wanted to make it. You could cancel or amend bookings. You could retrieve details on existing bookings. You could search for a time when the room was available. You could book recurring meetings (which themselves could have simple or complex rules: repeat every Tuesday; every weekday, 1st month, 2nd Monday of the month, last Friday of the month). You could book rooms which have particular features (size of room, IT equipment installed, etc.).

Once you'd dealt with that you could handle booking meetings with people (which might mean having to check for a 1 hour window when they were all available), you might send reminders to people when a meeting was due, etc. These people might be in different time zones. Those reminders could be via WhatsApp, SMS, e-mail etc. You could try to integrate it with existing calendar software. The list of possible features just goes on and on.

This can certainly be "difficult enough" if you want it to be. Or it can be as "simple" as time allows. It's your project, so you get to define the scope.

Thank you! Do you still think a game is a better choice as @clawntl suggested or do you have any other ideas of projects as I'm still really stuck on what to make...I'm not the best at programming so don't wan't to take on something I can't realistically make but at the same time I've not got much guidance from school as to how complex mine should be (the exemplars look really difficult and are a bit overwhelming) thank you in advance
Thank you! Do you still think a game is a better choice as @clawntl suggested or do you have any other ideas of projects as I'm still really stuck on what to make...I'm not the best at programming so don't wan't to take on something I can't realistically make but at the same time I've not got much guidance from school as to how complex mine should be (the exemplars look really difficult and are a bit overwhelming) thank you in advance

What about a quiz/ a revision platform that tests users through multiple choice questions? Go for something simple.. Because you don't wanna be regretting choosing something thats very complex in december! I would suggest you go for something simple and develop on it.. to be fair, its only 20% so even if u want an A* overall, you can still attain it with 50+ marks on the project. I went for a quiz and was awarded 65+ marks by my teacher.
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 6
Thank you so much for your advice! I looked at some of the examples, they're so impressive and complex (I'm not sure if I have the capabilities to create a computer vision software :s-smilie:) I was just wondering how you learnt how to code the path finding AI? Do you think using AI really makes a difference in your grade? Also I'm a bit stuck on how to get started (currently quite stressed with it) and where I should even begin as I'm not 100% sure what to really make that will get me a good enough grade...any advice?

How I made my pathfinding algorithm was just by taking the concepts of A* algorithm we were taught for unit 2 and applied it using techniques such as OOP (I have been programming in my free time as a hobby for several years which probably helped).
You don't have to include AI for your project to have sufficient scope.
Have you had a look at the Project Setting Guidance document from OCR? It gives examples of what is and isn't sufficient scope. It also says that your teacher can also email OCR to find out whether OCR thinks that your project will be complex enough to achieve high marks.
Also try not to get too stressed out. Picking a project and getting started is the hardest part. To start I would first send a survey/questionnaire to your stakeholders once you've narrowed down what your project will be.

Original post by tamilGuy.
What about a quiz/ a revision platform that tests users through multiple choice questions? Go for something simple.. Because you don't wanna be regretting choosing something thats very complex in december! I would suggest you go for something simple and develop on it.. to be fair, its only 20% so even if u want an A* overall, you can still attain it with 50+ marks on the project. I went for a quiz and was awarded 65+ marks by my teacher.

On the project setting guidance from OCR it states that simple multiple choices limit scope and do not allow access to high marks.
Original post by clawntl
On the project setting guidance from OCR it states that simple multiple choices limit scope and do not allow access to high marks.

Hii,
I'm aware that this is stated in the guidance but it is there to push people to do smth complex. I got 65+ on the project. But the mcqs weren't the only feature. I had student and teacher accounts. Teachers can form clssses and students can join them, allowing progress to be tracked. Theres competition between student accounts and between classes. And a couple of other features too. But noe reading my post it looks like I was setting up this user because the 65 plus wasnt just for the mcqs..

Ik I had a classmate who only did signup-quiz-leadeboards and he got marks in the 50s.

So ig I don't think my previous post was beneficial. I'm sorry. And thanks @clawntl for bridging it up.
Reply 8
Original post by tamilGuy.
Hii,
I'm aware that this is stated in the guidance but it is there to push people to do smth complex. I got 65+ on the project. But the mcqs weren't the only feature. I had student and teacher accounts. Teachers can form clssses and students can join them, allowing progress to be tracked. Theres competition between student accounts and between classes. And a couple of other features too. But noe reading my post it looks like I was setting up this user because the 65 plus wasnt just for the mcqs..

Ik I had a classmate who only did signup-quiz-leadeboards and he got marks in the 50s.

So ig I don't think my previous post was beneficial. I'm sorry. And thanks @clawntl for bridging it up.

No problem! That makes more sense!
Reply 9
Original post by clawntl
How I made my pathfinding algorithm was just by taking the concepts of A* algorithm we were taught for unit 2 and applied it using techniques such as OOP (I have been programming in my free time as a hobby for several years which probably helped).
You don't have to include AI for your project to have sufficient scope.
Have you had a look at the Project Setting Guidance document from OCR? It gives examples of what is and isn't sufficient scope. It also says that your teacher can also email OCR to find out whether OCR thinks that your project will be complex enough to achieve high marks.
Also try not to get too stressed out. Picking a project and getting started is the hardest part. To start I would first send a survey/questionnaire to your stakeholders once you've narrowed down what your project will be.

How did you implement the AI and what resources did you use to learn. I have literally the same idea as you but I do not want to follow tutorials to the point that it just feels like I am copying
Original post by RmzEra
How did you implement the AI and what resources did you use to learn. I have literally the same idea as you but I do not want to follow tutorials to the point that it just feels like I am copying

Hi RmzEra,
I can't really elaborate anymore than I did in the comments you quoted. I am a 'natural' programmer so I just kind of made an A* algorithm using classes in C#.
Reply 11
I'm programming a board game for my NEA and I'm creating an AI that can play against users. Does the AI have to actually work to get top band because I'm struggling to make it work but I've made an AI that makes random moves which don't really make much sense. Thank you.
Reply 12
Original post by clawntl
Hi RmzEra,
I can't really elaborate anymore than I did in the comments you quoted. I am a 'natural' programmer so I just kind of made an A* algorithm using classes in C#.

My idea sounds really bad compared to the ones ive seen but i feel like its too late and id like some advice on what i should do ,my idea is like a clothes generating app where clothes are generated based on the weather and the colours and is labelled [because my stakeholders are colourblind which adds purpose to the project]and you can add clothes to the wardrobe [database] and schedule outfits in for days in the calendar ,i barely know how to even code and thats why id like some advice on what i should prioritise ? my analysis and design were marked and i got really low so im lost right now...
Original post by clawntl
I wanted to create a game too using unity or unreal and then implement algorythims etc. but unfortunately my CS teacher is cooked and honestly should not be teaching but anyway he told me that I cannot do that as I would be using a game engine and the only way OCR would accept it is if you also created the game engine for your game which I knew was bs but I ended up making a Live flight tracking program.
Not really related to discussion
Just wondering if anyone has some advice
I’m yr13 a level computer science Visual Basic
Coding exam is in 55 days and I cannot code for ****
I didn’t do gcse and was told that was ok however everyone else in the class had so the teacher skipped a lot of concepts at a level
This left me disadvantaged
I attended some sessions I arranged with my teacher
However I still feel like there’s a big gap in my knowledge
I’ve looked around for a level vb resources but cannot find anything
Any recommendations on how to learn to code in the time I have left ?
Thanks
Original post by musaiqbal427
Not really related to discussion
Just wondering if anyone has some advice
I’m yr13 a level computer science Visual Basic
Coding exam is in 55 days and I cannot code for ****
I didn’t do gcse and was told that was ok however everyone else in the class had so the teacher skipped a lot of concepts at a level
This left me disadvantaged
I attended some sessions I arranged with my teacher
However I still feel like there’s a big gap in my knowledge
I’ve looked around for a level vb resources but cannot find anything
Any recommendations on how to learn to code in the time I have left ?
Thanks
bro icl start with the very basics then build from there
just practice youll be fine
im sure theres a series of coding challenges you can follow. try harvard cs50

Quick Reply

Latest