The Student Room Group

I got a CEE in my EOY 12 mocks - what's the best option for me?

I do bio chem and econ and i got a C in econ, and Es in both bio and chem. In bio, i wasn't far off from achieving a D, and my school is now telling me to retake. However, I don't want to waste a year of my life, and I believe that if i work over the summer holidays properly, I will be able to at least boost my grades to a C. I have the privilege of using UpLearn as a platform, and i will begin to use it much more than before.
Do you think this is a good idea?
If it was a C in just one subject, your plan might work. But realistically, unless you were just really slacking off in Year 12, it’s gonna be hard to get your grades up in time for UCAS applications and A-levels. I think retaking Year 12 might be your best bet.
did you revise a lot and still struggle?
Original post by kirannnn
I do bio chem and econ and i got a C in econ, and Es in both bio and chem. In bio, i wasn't far off from achieving a D, and my school is now telling me to retake. However, I don't want to waste a year of my life, and I believe that if i work over the summer holidays properly, I will be able to at least boost my grades to a C. I have the privilege of using UpLearn as a platform, and i will begin to use it much more than before.

Since you have Uplearn at your disposal, make use of it. It’s good to see you are being proactive and taking steps to improve in biology and chemistry.

Keep up the good work over summer and I’m certain you’ll see an appreciable level of progress.

If you want some further ideas for chemistry, see here: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7253201&page=2#post97549790
Reply 4
Original post by kirannnn

So I have pretty good grades. I have A's in English language and literature, expecting to move up to A*'s as we get closer to university applications, but biology is my weak link. I've been predicted a D for a while. But I do partly blame it on the fact that I originally took 4 subjects (just dropped chemistry around a month ago). I've been worried about this predicted grade for a while, but I finally have a conclusion to share.
Obviously this may not be the same in every school/college, but we literally just got sent an email today saying that our predicted grades will be based on the September/October mock exams (we will only sit 1 paper in biology for some reason) and the UCAS predicted grade will be whatever we achieve in that mock, or 1 grade above if we were close to that next grade if you get what I mean. Hopefully that helps. I know I'll be working hard over the summer.
Reply 5
I agree with MetellaInAtrio here on the most part—what sort of grades are you aiming for? If you want Bs or similar, then I might suggest retaking. Still, you seem really committed to working this summer and you’ve got UpLearn.

When do you have to make the decision as to whether you’re retaking? Maybe you could wait until near the end of the summer where you’ve had the chance to work, do a bunch of past papers and see what grades you’re looking at then.

Original post by MetellaInAtrio
If it was a C in just one subject, your plan might work. But realistically, unless you were just really slacking off in Year 12, it’s gonna be hard to get your grades up in time for UCAS applications and A-levels. I think retaking Year 12 might be your best bet.
Reply 6
Original post by alevelstudent090
did you revise a lot and still struggle?

I revised but it wasn't very effiecient, as i had only started doing exam questions a few days before my exams.
Reply 7
Original post by TypicalNerd
Since you have Uplearn at your disposal, make use of it. It’s good to see you are being proactive and taking steps to improve in biology and chemistry.

Keep up the good work over summer and I’m certain you’ll see an appreciable level of progress.

If you want some further ideas for chemistry, see here: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7253201&page=2#post97549790

Thank you so much, it's nice to see that you have faith in someone you don't even know - i'm trying my best to get a chance to take the september exams, to show my improvement.
Reply 8
Original post by mousespine
I agree with MetellaInAtrio here on the most part—what sort of grades are you aiming for? If you want Bs or similar, then I might suggest retaking. Still, you seem really committed to working this summer and you’ve got UpLearn.

When do you have to make the decision as to whether you’re retaking? Maybe you could wait until near the end of the summer where you’ve had the chance to work, do a bunch of past papers and see what grades you’re looking at then.

I have to make my decision by the end of summer holidays, i have a meeting with my head of year then, and she then wants to discuss my progress. Do you think it's achievable maybe to boost my grade E to atleast a D, possibly C if i work really hard over these 7 weeks
Original post by Stefani.r
So I have pretty good grades. I have A's in English language and literature, expecting to move up to A*'s as we get closer to university applications, but biology is my weak link. I've been predicted a D for a while. But I do partly blame it on the fact that I originally took 4 subjects (just dropped chemistry around a month ago). I've been worried about this predicted grade for a while, but I finally have a conclusion to share.
Obviously this may not be the same in every school/college, but we literally just got sent an email today saying that our predicted grades will be based on the September/October mock exams (we will only sit 1 paper in biology for some reason) and the UCAS predicted grade will be whatever we achieve in that mock, or 1 grade above if we were close to that next grade if you get what I mean. Hopefully that helps. I know I'll be working hard over the summer.

I know it's not related to this conversation but what exam board do you do for eng lang? What advice can you give? (you can pm if you want)
Reply 10
Original post by amazingwafflesz
I know it's not related to this conversation but what exam board do you do for eng lang? What advice can you give? (you can pm if you want)

I know this a late response (I haven't had wifi for a week. Travelling lol).
I do AQA for English language. To be completely blunt I don't actually know much about the structure of the exams or the 'criterium' per say, I'm just really perceptive and am good at making unexpected links between topics and texts and things. To be fair that's a good tip. You're allowed to be unique with your ideas about a text. Be bold imo. English teachers and examiners eat that stuff up. Honestly, my best advice is your teachers are not always right. If your teachers are anything like mine for English, they'll constantly be pressing for you to use this/that structure for the best marks possible. Literally couldn't be further from the truth 9 times out of 10. Go with your flow. I know in my experience, any structure I'm told to use just slows me down, cause I have to constantly try and adapt my sporadic thoughts to fit into the structure during a test. Main thing is just use quotes, and ALWAYS label them e.g. 'the concrete noun 'table''. Also, on the question on paper 2 which asks about language and age/gender etc., just hurl linguists and research onto the page like there's an infinite amount of them. Our teacher gave us a full-mark example and I kid you not it was almost entirely made up of linguists and their research. Finally, the last thing I can think of which actually surprised me in class is you don't have to be that deep in paper 1 q1 and 2 (tbf even q3, but make sure to make a comparison in there). Because of the timing all you need is to essentially summarise the way different quotes give different meanings and representations. It almost feels like bullet pointing.

Hope that helped haha.

Quick Reply

Latest