The Student Room Group

Help with Medical school 2011

Hi
I am a y13 (now) and got my AS level results last week, i got BBCC. This was a complete shock as i was thinking i was going to get AAAB. Im obviously going to retake the exams and even have some remarked. My problem is that i want to apply to med school. But my grades r so bad that im afraid i will not get an offer. I cannot apply outer london therefore im limited ALOT! My gcse's were ok, top 10 in the school. Ive done a lot of work experience a lot to talk about in my personal statement. Ive booked my UKCAT and BMAT.

I want to apply to 3 med schools and 2 bio med, so i can atleast get 1 offer from each hopefully. I was thinking:

1. UCL (i love the med school so much!) - AAAb (requirement) - med
2. Queen Mary Uni - AAAb (requirement)- med
3. St Georges - AAAb (requirement) - med

4. UCL - AAAb - biomed
5. haven't decided on 2nd bio med uni

Im scared that my med uni's are too ambitious and i will end up with no med schools... does any1 know any med uni's local 2 london or in london which have less requirements than AAAb. plus any advice please!!!
thanks guys :smile:
First of all, hope for the best possible prediction grades yet. Also, practice the UKCAT and the BMAT, practice test samples are on their websites.

I think your uni choices are nice. But why do you want to apply to two courses at UCL? Maybe substitute that with another uni such as KCL maybe? And maybe substitute another London medschool with Hull York, Peninsula or Southampton?

The London medschools are really popular. Are you okay with your limited choice? Is this because you live in London?
Reply 2
yh i live in london and my parents have made it clear they will not allow me to study outside london, im going to be a bit flexible and hope to apply to a local uni outside london just for some backup.
Reply 3
Not to be a D******** but UCL will reject you on the basis of your AS grades. I wanted to apply there but they now place a considerable weighting on your AS grades.

If you can ace the BMAT they apply, but thats a hell of a tall order.
Reply 4
I completely know wot you mean... UCL has always been like an ideal med school for me... i did a lot of things with UCL like summer schools and lectures and med students etc therefore UCL has always been an opinion. I will apply to UCL regardless as that is like my AIMING HIGH uni... which i probably wont get into but i would like to atleast TRY... my main issue is with the other unis... im just scared ther too good 2 consider me.. ther all AAAb which is grades i can get n better but i need at least 1 uni with a lower requirement.

Latest

Trending

Trending