The Student Room Group

Medical school

Hi, I’m a year 12 student that has dreamt of going to medical school for a long time but i fear my gcse are not good enough to be recognised by medical schools. My grades are
history - 6
english literature - 6
r.s - 6
maths - 6
chemistry - 6
textiles - 5
biology - 5
physics - 4
german - 4
english language - 4

I was so disappointed with these grades as I wasn’t expecting them. I don’t have an excuse as to why I achieved these grades and I was wondering if anyone who is in my position or have any advice as to what unis I should apply to could help me. I was predicted high grades before I sat my gcses, so when i received these grades it really took a toll on my metal health but I tried to not let it affect me. I now take chemistry biology and psychology at alevel. I know there are other things that universities consider other than gcses but I have been really worried that I won’t even be considered based on my gcse grades. Could anyone help me?
Not all medical schools score GCSEs. Some (e.g. Imperial and UCL) only have minimum requirements for GCSEs. As long as you avoid the GCSE heavy medical schools which formally score GCSEs as part of the shortlisting process (e.g. Oxford, Birmingham) then you just need to focus on meeting the minimum requirements of the others.

I suspect you would need to aim to retake English language as I anticipate most require at least a 5 and some a 6 or above. Assuming you achieve that and otherwise meet any GCSE minimum requirements then it won't matter as your GCSEs won't be scored beyond ticking the box of whether you meet the minimum requirements or not :smile:
Original post by stefzina
Hi, I’m a year 12 student that has dreamt of going to medical school for a long time but i fear my gcse are not good enough to be recognised by medical schools. My grades are
history - 6
english literature - 6
r.s - 6
maths - 6
chemistry - 6
textiles - 5
biology - 5
physics - 4
german - 4
english language - 4

I was so disappointed with these grades as I wasn’t expecting them. I don’t have an excuse as to why I achieved these grades and I was wondering if anyone who is in my position or have any advice as to what unis I should apply to could help me. I was predicted high grades before I sat my gcses, so when i received these grades it really took a toll on my metal health but I tried to not let it affect me. I now take chemistry biology and psychology at alevel. I know there are other things that universities consider other than gcses but I have been really worried that I won’t even be considered based on my gcse grades. Could anyone help me?

medschools.ac.uk/media/3060/uk-medical-school-entry-requirements-2024-entry.pdf you can look at this to get a clearer idea however newcastle is switching to ucat/gcse scoring system and exeter wants a 5 in eng lang now

it would be best to retake eng lang however if you see a med school u meet the requirements or think you do email them and ask if your gcses would be acceptable

if ur eligible also look at foundation year courses they have lower requirements

i did this as I am in a similar kind of situation

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending