The Student Room Group

What can I study after hnc with no other qualifications

When I moved up here I had a rough time with bullying and dropped out of high school at fifteen. I was more than capable of taking my standard grades but they only let me take access 3’s and that’s what I came away with from school in 2011

From 2011/2021 I tried college in Edinburgh but had bad ptsd from school and ended up doing a bit of volunteering, had couple interviews but nothing came of it and my mental health was pretty bad

Last year I did a communications and a literature course at my local college mostly working from home and passed- I came away with my English higher (pass equivalent to higher level c- this is what everyone in the course got I don’t think it was possible to get higher than that doing these two courses)

I’ve been accepted into an admin and IT HNC year 1, and hopefully if I pass I’ll go into year 2.

I just wondered, after passing this, what’s my next step?

Surely Uni is impossible for me as I have no other highers.

I’m 28 so a mature student. I got offered a place in an access course but I took the HNC as it’s mainly working from home and a subject I’m into. It’s also not as heavy going in terms of days at college which is ideal because I have a few medical appointments each week.

If you know what I could do after my HNC in terms of studying could you let me know?
Original post by Lovefromjuliaxo
When I moved up here I had a rough time with bullying and dropped out of high school at fifteen. I was more than capable of taking my standard grades but they only let me take access 3’s and that’s what I came away with from school in 2011

From 2011/2021 I tried college in Edinburgh but had bad ptsd from school and ended up doing a bit of volunteering, had couple interviews but nothing came of it and my mental health was pretty bad

Last year I did a communications and a literature course at my local college mostly working from home and passed- I came away with my English higher (pass equivalent to higher level c- this is what everyone in the course got I don’t think it was possible to get higher than that doing these two courses)

I’ve been accepted into an admin and IT HNC year 1, and hopefully if I pass I’ll go into year 2.

I just wondered, after passing this, what’s my next step?

Surely Uni is impossible for me as I have no other highers.

I’m 28 so a mature student. I got offered a place in an access course but I took the HNC as it’s mainly working from home and a subject I’m into. It’s also not as heavy going in terms of days at college which is ideal because I have a few medical appointments each week.

If you know what I could do after my HNC in terms of studying could you let me know?

Are you interested in going to university - i.e. physically in person - or would you rather continue to study from home?

Some universities will accept you into some courses based upon your HNC alone - no Highers required. So it depends on what subject you want to study and where you want to study it. Do you know?

For example the University of Edinburgh say here that:

"The College of Science and Engineering accepts a number of HNC/HND qualifications for entry to the undergraduate degree programmes listed below. For some programmes SQA Highers are required in addition to the HNC or HND."

Note the use of the word "some" in that final sentence, and that the page in within the "Adult Returner applicants" section of the site, targeting adults returning to education - i.e. you. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending