The Student Room Group

Cheap/free ways to improve oral language skills

Hi, I'm currently on a gap year and plan on doing French as part of my degree at university. I'd like to improve my oral French, which currently isn't great, by going to France and well.. speaking French. I'm absolutely strapped for cash, so doing expensive language courses is out of the question for me. Does anyone know of a very cheap or free way to go to a French speaking country and improve my French? Any ways to immerse myself into the culture? Thanks a lot :smile:
Reply 1
I'm not sure about travelling to a French speaking country, however, I know that my Spanish teacher suggested a website (which I can't remember, I'm really sorry) which allows you to find people in your local area who speak that language fluently, and you can organise to meet them and spend half the time speaking in English (to help their English) and half in their language to help you...
Try searching for something along those lines. :smile:
What the above poster is talking about is called Tandem. You'd be best off waiting to do this at uni as you'll have lots of opportunities.

How about looking into au pair agencies?
Reply 3
gsugar
I'm not sure about travelling to a French speaking country, however, I know that my Spanish teacher suggested a website (which I can't remember, I'm really sorry) which allows you to find people in your local area who speak that language fluently, and you can organise to meet them and spend half the time speaking in English (to help their English) and half in their language to help you...

Thanks for the suggestion, I didn't know about that, I'll certainly look into it :biggrin: I also would like to do this because I'll be applying for 2011 and so would like something good to put on my personal statement for French, so I think getting myself to a French speaking country would be ideal.

KayleeLand
What the above poster is talking about is called Tandem. You'd be best off waiting to do this at uni as you'll have lots of opportunities.

How about looking into au pair agencies?

Thanks for that :smile: though it could also be a way to show my devotion to languages PS-wise? I've heard about au-pairing, though... do they accept guys? I've only ever heard of girls doing it. I certainly will look into that too :smile: thanks!
yabbayabba
Hi, I'm currently on a gap year and plan on doing French as part of my degree at university. I'd like to improve my oral French, which currently isn't great, by going to France and well.. speaking French. I'm absolutely strapped for cash, so doing expensive language courses is out of the question for me. Does anyone know of a very cheap or free way to go to a French speaking country and improve my French? Any ways to immerse myself into the culture? Thanks a lot :smile:

Could you not just download listening excerpts, (i.e. previous past paper exams, etc) and then you can really listen to the language, which will help you both improve your listening and your pronounciation/speaking! :smile:

I did this for my exam!
The website Before You Know It (BYKI) has a brilliant, free programme that improves your language skills, or even teaches you a new language. I love it, I'm using it to learn Russian before I do Russian Studies.
Reply 6
gsugar

I think she might have meant conversationexchange.com, where you can find a penpal, skype partner or language partner for face to face conversation. I've used it to find people in Paris to practice my French and it's working well so far :smile:

There might be an English-French conversation exchange organisation too OP, depending where you're based.

Edit: Also, for cheap ways to live and work in France the ways I can think of include au pairing, teaching English, working at a ski or holiday resort and farm work like WWOOF.

yabbayabba
I've heard about au-pairing, though... do they accept guys? I've only ever heard of girls doing it. I certainly will look into that too :smile: thanks!

You might be a bit more limited but it's not out of the question. When I was looking for an au pair job plenty of families (especially those with sons rather than daughters) weren't fussed about gender.
Reply 7
Thanks for all these suggestions, I'll definitely check them out. :biggrin:
Reply 8
Hey, I know people have mentioned it already, but au pairing? If you're willing to do it over the internet try www.aupairworld.com - I used it to find a family in France and Spain last year and it worked out well - it was a lot of work but definitely good for my languages!
Also, you could try finding a holiday camp to work on? If you have a whole summer you could try something like eurocamp or canvas holidays, or work on a kids camp teaching English?

Latest

Trending

Trending