The Student Room Group

Software engineering

I’m second year SwE student but I can’t code ? Is there any resources to help me and teach me as I am a beginner and will actually help in a positive way.
Reply 1
Original post by razaaa
I’m second year SwE student but I can’t code ? Is there any resources to help me and teach me as I am a beginner and will actually help in a positive way.

I find it rather odd that a 2nd year CS degree student can't code even at a beginner level. It's good that you recognise the shortcomings and are looking for ways to improve though.

I'd start with talking to your Uni tutors, tell them exactly what you said here and ask for help with setting out your learning plan.
If you have particular languages in mind - look up the courses online, most of them are free these days so there's abundance of information online. Places like Codeacademy and Coursera have some free trials and student discounts too. Youtube and Stackoverflow are free of course. At my Uni they used to give free access to some study portals and development software packages to the students, so definitely ask around.

As with many things - coding is a skill that becomes better with practice. Start small and keep gradually building your coding skills. If you want to become great by the time you graduate - code often and consistently (not necessarily for many hours at a time). As I said - start small, say 30-60 mins a day, see how it goes and adjust to your schedule. When you feel more or less confident - get your GitHub page going with commits, participating in projects, etc. to showcase your work and just to have a place where you can exercise your coding skills collaborating with other people.

Personally I don't code that often (I did electronics, so mainly low level coding in C and sometimes things like Matlab, Python, Arduino and VBA), but when when I do I tend to have longer sessions just because I'm in the flow and I don't want to interrupt that, but everyone's different so see for yourself which approach do you enjoy the most and what schedule meets your needs the best.

Happy coding :smile:
Al
Reply 2
There are a lot of resources at youtube, decide what you wanna do and learn concepts.But it is strange 2.year student does not know coding?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending