The Student Room Group
Reply 1
Well they are two different countries. The ROI is goverened by their own laws and irish parliament. Northern Ireland has its own parliament (as such) but it is also goverened by the british laws.
Badly.
Terribly.
Reply 4
Sabsbabs1
Well they are two different countries. The ROI is goverened by their own laws and irish parliament. Northern Ireland has its own parliament (as such) but it is also goverened by the british laws.

Yeah... I just need a bit more detail I guess, but thanks.
By people who really need to move on. Honestly, I should be in power in this country.
Reply 6
with petrol bombs.

Seriously though, its like Scotland and Wales in that it sends MPs to Westminster and get most laws from there, however, there is also a local assembly at Stormount, which has control over certain things.
Reply 7
Sighrawr
There is obviously a huge difference in the way Northern Ireland and ROI are governed but I'm a bit confused. Is NI goverened by Parliament? And how differently is ROI governed to NI? :\

There is little relation between the Northern Irish govt and the ROI govt.
Northern Ireland is part of the UK. Not ROI.
There is devolution. Like in Scotland (only NI don't have power over taxes. NI is an assembly. Scotland is a Parliament). So basically, we govern ourselves for local issues like education, health etc. But British Parliament still has control over some issues like Foreign Policy etc.
Every year, Parliament give Northern Ireland so much money in the budget and then the assembly decide how to spend it.
We have a coalition govt due to the divisions betwen Catholics and Protestants. The two main parties are DUP and Sinn Fein. First Minister is Peter Robinson and Deputy first Minister is Martin Mcguiness. Basically they are the main men. Otherwise, the departments are divided between Unionist MLA's and Nationalist MLA's, with the justice minister being given to Alliance who are technically neither Unionist or Nationalist.
Er ROI I don't know so much about. But it's almost completely seperate from Northern Ireland govt. (I know they still have a say sometimes)
Basically, they have a president who is literally only a figurehead. Currently, that's Mary McAleese. Kinda like the Queen in the UK, except she is elected. She only has a few constiutial powers
The Taioseach (currently Brian Cowen) is the Prime Minister and this is usually the leader of the party with the most seats. There are two houses, Seanad Éireann (Senate),the upper House, and Dáil Éireann (House of Representatives) -lower House.
It's currently a coalition between Fianna Fial and the Green Party.
Reply 8
Did you not think to check an encyclopaedia or something rather than asking people?
Reply 9
L i b
Did you not think to check an encyclopaedia or something rather than asking people?

Actually, I have. But I want to ask AS WELL.
Reply 10
The irish parlament that makes irish laws have the relative freedom to see fit as they please (the same as most other counrties) but Northern Ireland has only a local Parliament and the British Parliament (if it ever came to somethings) would have the final say. In saying that some British laws are not laws over here, such as the abortion laws and our laws that govern the selling of alcohol are also stronger over here.
Reply 11
Oh-WOW
There is little relation between the Northern Irish govt and the ROI govt.
Northern Ireland is part of the UK. Not ROI.
There is devolution. Like in Scotland (only NI don't have power over taxes. NI is an assembly. Scotland is a Parliament). So basically, we govern ourselves for local issues like education, health etc. But British Parliament still has control over some issues like Foreign Policy etc.
Every year, Parliament give Northern Ireland so much money in the budget and then the assembly decide how to spend it.
We have a coalition govt due to the divisions betwen Catholics and Protestants. The two main parties are DUP and Sinn Fein. First Minister is Peter Robinson and Deputy first Minister is Martin Mcguiness. Basically they are the main men. Otherwise, the departments are divided between Unionist MLA's and Nationalist MLA's, with the justice minister being given to Alliance who are technically neither Unionist or Nationalist.
Er ROI I don't know so much about. But it's almost completely seperate from Northern Ireland govt. (I know they still have a say sometimes)
Basically, they have a president who is literally only a figurehead. Currently, that's Mary McAleese. Kinda like the Queen in the UK, except she is elected. She only has a few constiutial powers
The Taioseach (currently Brian Cowen) is the Prime Minister and this is usually the leader of the party with the most seats. There are two houses, Seanad Éireann (Senate),the upper House, and Dáil Éireann (House of Representatives) -lower House.
It's currently a coalition between Fianna Fial and the Green Party.

I knew that NI had an assembly, I just didn't know how dominant it was in aspects of day-to-day life in Ireland. Thanks.
A Mysterious Lord
Badly.

Damn, I was too slow.
Reply 13
Sighrawr
I knew that NI had an assembly, I just didn't know how dominant it was in aspects of day-to-day life in Ireland. Thanks.

It is very dominant in our day to day lifes (thats when they arent refusing to speak to each other, though that doesnt happen as much now) They have control of how our children are educated, what taxes we pay or dont pay eg. water rates how money gets spent in the public sectors etc etc.
Reply 14
Sighrawr
Actually, I have. But I want to ask AS WELL.

Well, then I imagine you'd already have this information in a far more concise way than it will be given to you by random people on the internet.
Reply 15
L i b
Well, then I imagine you'd already have this information in a far more concise way than it will be given to you by random people on the internet.

Not really. Can you not just leave me to it if you're not going to help me?
Reply 16
Sighrawr

It's not dominant in any aspects of day to day life in Ireland.
Its dominant in day to day life in Northern Ireland.
If you had wanted to know that then the title should have been that. I told you exaclty how its governend.
And the assembly is pretty dominant. Infact, I'd say far more dominant than the UK govt. Westminster repesenatives don't have all that much to represent anymore. And as we have different parties than the UK, alot of people see Stormont elections as far more important.
They control schools, and are messing up the education system as we speak but thats another story.
They control health, for example, Health Minister has abolished prescription charges in Northern Ireland.
Control Agriculture and Rural Development, for example, they gave EU money to farmers on a lottery basis a few years back and got into trouble for it.
Culture, Arts and Lesuire- big thing for them was the plan to build a stadium at the Maize prison. which is a former prison for Republican prisoners. Some people saw it as a shrine.
Thats just a few.
There's also
Department for Employment and Learning
Department of Enterprise, Trade and Investment
Department of the Environment
Department of Finance and Personnel
Department of Health, Social Services and Public Safety
Department for Regional Development
Department for Social Development
So basically, the assembly controls alot of everyday life.
ROI however, has no control over everyday life in Northern Ireland.
Reply 17
Sighrawr
Not really. Can you not just leave me to it if you're not going to help me?

I can't believe you read it properly. As for not helping you, I think I am - but you're just not clever enough to see it.

Plus, I will admit a level of irritation: I'm sick of the number of people who, instead of showing a tiny bit of initiative, expect other people to solve their problems or 'help' them at every turn.

There is absolutely no need for you to be asking this question. Now, if you had a specific question, some information you couldn't find, or indeed something that genuinely puzzled you then by all means ask someone else. But why you would expect (or desire) someone to give you an overview of a broad subject when you can - with five second's effort - find it for yourself is utterly beyond me.
Reply 18
L i b
I can't believe you read it properly. As for not helping you, I think I am - but you're just not clever enough to see it.

Plus, I will admit a level of irritation: I'm sick of the number of people who, instead of showing a tiny bit of initiative, expect other people to solve their problems or 'help' them at every turn.

There is absolutely no need for you to be asking this question. Now, if you had a specific question, some information you couldn't find, or indeed something that genuinely puzzled you then by all means ask someone else. But why you would expect (or desire) someone to give you an overview of a broad subject when you can - with five second's effort - find it for yourself is utterly beyond me.

The help other people seek has nothing to do with you, even if you are pedantic enough for it to irritate you. Go live your life...

Latest

Trending

Trending