The Student Room Group

Becoming a traveller

I'm thinking about becoming a traveller.

My family on my father's side were Welsh tinkers (not much Roma blood - just common garden diddecoys) that eventually gave up the life in about 1952 and settled in Cardiff before moving to London in 1958.

Though I now live in the US I have given recent thought to returning to that way of life. Not serious thought - just pondering the idea. I wonder if I'd be able to adapt. I have connections with travelling families in the UK but none in America. Could I make a living? Could I adapt to the prejudice?

I wonder how hard it would be.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2

Is there any information in there about how to strip copper and lead off church roofs in the dead of night?!!
Reply 3
Howard

My family on my father's side were Welsh tinkers (not much Roma blood - just common garden diddecoys) that eventually gave up the life in about 1952 and settled in Cardiff before moving to London in 1958.

Though I now live in the US I have given recent thought to returning to that way of life. Not serious thought - just pondering the idea. I wonder if I'd be able to adapt. I have connections with travelling families in the UK but none in America. Could I make a living? Could I adapt to the prejudice?

Not an easy decision.

You might not like/enjoy the lifestyle so maybe give it a try without removing all traces of your current life and if you like it then take the plunge.
Reply 4
judicious
Not an easy decision.

You might not like/enjoy the lifestyle so maybe give it a try without removing all traces of your current life and if you like it then take the plunge.

It wouldn't be a decision I would or could take lightly. It's been 60 years since my branch of the family settled and we've not had very much to do with the life since then (well, since the mid-late 70's at least) so I don't even know if I still have it in the blood tbh.
Obvious troll and all that jazz.
Reply 6
OMG it's a gypsy travellin' troll! Lock up your sheep, goats and daughters!!!

But seriously (or not so seriously as the case most probably is), no, you'll just be despised by 99.94% of the population. Why the hell should we have to pay taxes just so you can get free healthcare and whatnot when you crash your caravan?
Howard

Wouldn't work. If you offer to repair someone's roof then try to take the money and run you'd be shot immediately.
Reply 8
zfd hou fvucking serious man? you want to give up on your life to ''travel?''
Read the riot act
I f**king hate pikeys.

sexist pikey ever :smile: how could you hate him lol

Howard

Aren't they just called redneck trailer trash in America? Fairly sure if you move to alabama or something you would be alright.
Reply 11
JustSmile
OMG it's a gypsy travellin' troll! Lock up your sheep, goats and daughters!!!

But seriously (or not so seriously as the case most probably is), no, you'll just be despised by 99.94% of the population. Why the hell should we have to pay taxes just so you can get free healthcare and whatnot when you crash your caravan?

Well, you don't pay taxes anyway. You're a student and when you graduate you'll probably join the great ranks of the unemployed. Besides, I live in the US so I don't get free healthcare courtesy of you or anybody else.
Reply 12
Theconomist
zfd hou fvucking serious man? you want to give up on your life to ''travel?''

No. I said I am thinking about it. It wouldn't be giving up on my life; rather changing its direction - returning to what my family did for a few hundred years (400 maybe - not really sure tbh) up until the mid twentieth century.
Howard
No. I said I am thinking about it. It wouldn't be giving up on my life; rather changing its direction - returning to what my family did for a few hundred years (400 maybe - not really sure tbh) up until the mid twentieth century.

Why?
Reply 14
Theconomist
Why?

Well, a couple of reasons really. First of all, family tradition - as I say, going back maybe 400 years. Secondly, I see it as a much freer and less scripted way of life.
Reply 15
I hope someone torches your caravan.

And as someone else observed, do Americans really have gypsies? Aren't they just rednecks?
Reply 16
L i b
I hope someone torches your caravan.

And as someone else observed, do Americans really have gypsies? Aren't they just rednecks?

Yes. There are travelling families in the US. Mainly Irish didicoys.
Reply 17
Margaret Thatcher
Obvious troll and all that jazz.

I doubt it, he's made 29,000 posts...

As someone above said, is there a way you could try it out a bit before you get rid of your current lifestyle?
Reply 18
Be a traveller in the US then, not here.
Reply 19
How would you get internet access for TSR??

... and most travellers are thieves, you'd be stepping back in the world... Just take a year out and travel Aussieland or something.

Latest

Trending

Trending