The Student Room Group
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews

How easy is it to get a job in st andrews?

Hi I'm a fresher who recently found out I'm not getting a scholarship which I really did need :frown: but no matter, I'm sure the people who did get them really deserved them, now I just really need to get a part-time job to support myself. I was wondering how easy it is to find part-time work in st andrews? I know it's quite a small town so I was thinking there might not be that many jobs around, though do many students take on part-time jobs? And if there is anyone on here who does work as a student at st andrews, do you find you have enough time for uni work or is it very stressful trying to do both?
I have looked on the careers jobshop offered by st andrews but to apply you seem to have to actually go into the careers centre, I live in Northern Ireland and am not leaving until 18th September (and can not afford to fly out again before this date) so I'm kinda worried all those jobs could be snapped up already before I arrive :frown:
Any help would be greatly appreciated :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Yeah it's a shame that to apply to most jobs you actually have to be in the town. I can't really answer your question about having a job whilst studying and things but if you go out quite quickly when you get there handing in CV's and things I'd suspect there would be a lot of jobs around. St Andrews is filled with pubs and restaurants who will take on a bunch of students :smile:
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews
Reply 2
Hey thanks for the advice, I think I'm going to do that the minute I get there. Just really hope I can find something!
Reply 3
KezzaN
Hi I'm a fresher who recently found out I'm not getting a scholarship which I really did need :frown: but no matter, I'm sure the people who did get them really deserved them, now I just really need to get a part-time job to support myself. I was wondering how easy it is to find part-time work in st andrews? I know it's quite a small town so I was thinking there might not be that many jobs around, though do many students take on part-time jobs? And if there is anyone on here who does work as a student at st andrews, do you find you have enough time for uni work or is it very stressful trying to do both?
I have looked on the careers jobshop offered by st andrews but to apply you seem to have to actually go into the careers centre, I live in Northern Ireland and am not leaving until 18th September (and can not afford to fly out again before this date) so I'm kinda worried all those jobs could be snapped up already before I arrive :frown:
Any help would be greatly appreciated :smile:

Jobs are in short supply. What sort of jobs have you done at home? There might be some similiar jobs in StAs and any experiece you might have would be useful.

The student union takes on a lot of students to work behind the bar etc, pretty gruelling hours though (in my opinion, anyway!), but that's a definite option.
Reply 4
Hey. Short supply? Oh no :frown: Well I've been working in a variety of jobs from the age of fifteen (I'm now nineteen) which include shop-work in a charity shop, a hospital shop and a petrol station, and during my gap year I've worked in Subway for a full year and some part-time cleaning work for the Northern Health and Social Care trust. Do you think any of that might help?
Oh how do you get to work in the union? Would the jobs be advertised in the careers centre jobshop for it? Thanks for your help btw.
Reply 5
KezzaN
Hey. Short supply? Oh no :frown: Well I've been working in a variety of jobs from the age of fifteen (I'm now nineteen) which include shop-work in a charity shop, a hospital shop and a petrol station, and during my gap year I've worked in Subway for a full year and some part-time cleaning work for the Northern Health and Social Care trust. Do you think any of that might help?
Oh how do you get to work in the union? Would the jobs be advertised in the careers centre jobshop for it? Thanks for your help btw.

Well charity shop work isn't usually paid, so I don't think that's a good option for you. There isn't a hospital in St Andrews, so that one's out too. There is a petrol station but it's so small that you're unlikely to find work there.

You might be able to find work as a cleaner somewhere, or in one of the supermarkets, or at a bar (probably the Union bar is your best choice, as described above)

Good luck either way :smile:

ps the jobs aren't on a "first come first served" basis, so don't worry about people arriving in StAs before you. The employers obviously want to see as many candidates as they can so they can get the best employees.
Reply 6
Yea I wasn't paid for the charity shop work but it did give me my first experience of working with people, using a till, stocking shelves etc. Yea I think I would like to work in the Union, I don't mind long hours or working till late because I'm well used to it- in Subway I used to work from 5pm (or sometimes 3pm) to half 2 in the morning lol.
If worst comes to the worst, don't rule out Dundee & Cupar for jobs. You can get a Uni rider and travel in. I know several St Andrews Uni students that do that. Or there are vllages outside St Andrews that hire students as well for local Spars and pubs :smile: x
Reply 8
You can apply for cleaning jobs in the Union as well as bar work. I think you can find the job application form on their web page or if you visit the Students' Association building. I notice that on Jobcentreplus there are jobs going in M&Co. Perhaps you could apply in Morrisons as well?
Cafe in the square are looking for people, and they have a facebook page

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Cafe-in-the-square/106968087129?ref=ts
Reply 10
Hi hi!
Wee tip for you...the careers centre often advertise jobs that are on here:

http://jobseekers.direct.gov.uk/homepage.aspx?sessionid=fe8196d6-8d44-4e6f-8d6f-0c99c65dadea&pid=4

Just type St Andrews in the search bar and there you go. It helps to sort them by date posted too. It is so annoying that you can't apply for jobs on the careers centre without being in town, but i found that a lot of the jobs were on the jobcentre website with details of how to apply!! The unfortunate thing is that a lot of places are looking for people NOW and when the students arrive the bars/hotels etc are inundated with CVs and applications when they all land in town around the start of freshers week. I had 3 interviews lined up for the other day and started a job 3 days after applying because I came here so early in the month! Also, Aldi seem to accept online applications at any time, so that might be worth a go. Best of luck!

Edit: Someone that works in Tesco also told me that they don't officially advertise positions. Just walk in and ask to speak to a supervisor about any jobs going!
Aw cheers guys, I really appreciate the help! I've printed and filled in the form for the Union, just needa post it now. I had a look on jobcentre plus but I couldn't find the M&Co job? Maybe it's been taken now, or Lucia could you send me the link? I'm going to try cafe in the square too, looks like you have to collect an app form in person though so I'll wait till I'm over there.
ChannieAlana
If worst comes to the worst, don't rule out Dundee & Cupar for jobs. You can get a Uni rider and travel in. I know several St Andrews Uni students that do that. Or there are vllages outside St Andrews that hire students as well for local Spars and pubs :smile: x

Thanks for your advice, I think I'm going to try for St Andrews jobs first though. It's not just the cost of travelling, its the time it would take to travel to Dundee and back too, I want to have time to study and take part in societies too. But thanks, if I can't get a job in st andrews that's what I'll do.
Reply 13
I'll be handing out CV's for a couple of hours on Saturday afternoon, a good way to get to know the town whilst doing something productive IMO. I could transfer to the nearest Asda, however would rather have a job somewhere in St A's. Fairly confident I could beat most Freshers to a job, given that I doubt many at the Uni will have worked part time, whereas I've worked since being 14!
chester.
Hi hi!
Wee tip for you...the careers centre often advertise jobs that are on here:

http://jobseekers.direct.gov.uk/homepage.aspx?sessionid=fe8196d6-8d44-4e6f-8d6f-0c99c65dadea&pid=4

Just type St Andrews in the search bar and there you go. It helps to sort them by date posted too. It is so annoying that you can't apply for jobs on the careers centre without being in town, but i found that a lot of the jobs were on the jobcentre website with details of how to apply!! The unfortunate thing is that a lot of places are looking for people NOW and when the students arrive the bars/hotels etc are inundated with CVs and applications when they all land in town around the start of freshers week. I had 3 interviews lined up for the other day and started a job 3 days after applying because I came here so early in the month! Also, Aldi seem to accept online applications at any time, so that might be worth a go. Best of luck!

Edit: Someone that works in Tesco also told me that they don't officially advertise positions. Just walk in and ask to speak to a supervisor about any jobs going!

Hey, cheers for the heads up! A lot of the jobs seem to be full-time or things I'm not qualified for but I'm going to try for the cleaning/bar-work positions. Well done on getting the job, my problem is that I can't afford to fly over already and I'd have to pay to stay somewhere too because I can't move into Albany Park until the 18th. Yea I'm going to try just handing out my CV and asking at all the shops, pubs, restaurants etc.
Also I see you are a fellow Northern-Irelander! Did you find that put any potential employers off because you can't work over the holidays/summer? And have you worked before during term-time, did you finding both working and trying to get studying done very stressful or was it ok?
Paul92
I'll be handing out CV's for a couple of hours on Saturday afternoon, a good way to get to know the town whilst doing something productive IMO. I could transfer to the nearest Asda, however would rather have a job somewhere in St A's. Fairly confident I could beat most Freshers to a job, given that I doubt many at the Uni will have worked part time, whereas I've worked since being 14!

Yea that was my idea too though I handed out CVs in my local town all last summer and it didn't help me get either of the jobs I've been working for the past year, so I don't know that it's all that helpful. I know there's a Subway so I might try and transfer there if they will let me. Mmm you'd be surprised by the number of people that have worked from a young age, and I'm guessing that the people who haven't have enough support from their families so they won't be the ones looking for work anyway. I've been working since I was 15 too, hope the experience comes in useful but I guess it depends on the interview as well. Best of luck to you though.
Reply 16
I need a job too....stupid economy
Reply 17
KezzaN
Yea that was my idea too though I handed out CVs in my local town all last summer and it didn't help me get either of the jobs I've been working for the past year, so I don't know that it's all that helpful. I know there's a Subway so I might try and transfer there if they will let me. Mmm you'd be surprised by the number of people that have worked from a young age, and I'm guessing that the people who haven't have enough support from their families so they won't be the ones looking for work anyway. I've been working since I was 15 too, hope the experience comes in useful but I guess it depends on the interview as well. Best of luck to you though.

Yeah what I was meaning is that seeing as St Andrews has a higher portion of students from wealthier families, less may need work than at other Unis. (Although there's also be more jobs at other places!)
Reply 18
Question re jobs, if you manage to find one, are they likely to want you to work during the hols/reading week/inter-semester break etc?
KezzaN
Thanks for your advice, I think I'm going to try for St Andrews jobs first though. It's not just the cost of travelling, its the time it would take to travel to Dundee and back too, I want to have time to study and take part in societies too. But thanks, if I can't get a job in st andrews that's what I'll do.

Also you could maybe try societies like University Air Squadron that will pay you to be part of their team (:

Latest

Trending

Trending