The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
wtfCharlie
I miss when the euphemism for fat was just "big". I don't think there was anything wrong with that. Black people can be referred to as dark-skinned, but fat people can't be big?

Now actual curvy girls like Scarlett Johansson are being dismissed as skinny, while overweight and unhealthy girls like Amber Riley are being praised as curvy.

I have nothing against overweight or anorexic people, but I don't think either should be encouraged. It annoys me that shop models are either a (for most people) overweight 14 to be PC, or a tiny 6, which is unattainable for most women.

Curvy is not overweight, healthy and putting your life at risk.

Curvy is being happy, healthy, with a proper woman's figure, a bit of healthy fat, not being tiny.

Thoughts?

Pretty much agree. I'm curvy (bust:37", wasit:26", hips 36") and it's annoying when blatantly overweight people say they're curvy. But that said, there isn't anything wrong with bigger curves, say, a size 16 hourglass figure. 14/16 isn't always overweight either, it depends on the girl.
This is true. But I feel like this thread has been done before haha
Pity I used up my rep for today. I agree completely.
I always thought that curvy = skinny people. Because if you have boobs and bum, and then have a skinny waist, you get big curves. :P A while on the internet taught me I was wrong. Curvy =/= having curves, curvy = eats too many burgers and doesn't want to admit it.
I don't care what people say, Christina Hendricks = fat. She is cute, but still fat.

Candice Swanepoel = curvy. Small waist, and hips on line with her shoulders. Also curves, so that when viewing her in profile, you'll see some nice lines.

Some fat people could have been curvy if they were skinny, but we'll never know, because their hips could be all fat.
Reply 25
Katq
When I hear curvy, I think of Jennifer Lopez. To me she is the perfect example of curvy, she has a flat, toned stomach, wide hips and full bum. I'd do anything for that shape!

This is NOT curvy imo. This is what I'd call big.

k bye :smile:

She could be described as curvy because her shoulders and hips are equal and so her waist goes in, creating an hourglass shape. The hourglass isn't as defined as Nigella Lawson, but it's still an hourglass shape.

You can be curvy irrelevant to how fat you are.
Or we could just say fat then go about our business.
Reply 27
Rolls eyes
I don't care what people say, Christina Hendricks = fat. She is cute, but still fat.

Candice Swanepoel = curvy. Small waist, and hips on line with her shoulders. Also curves, so that when viewing her in profile, you'll see some nice lines.

Some fat people could have been curvy if they were skinny, but we'll never know, because their hips could be all fat.

You may call her fat, but she's still 'curvy'. Bigger boobs, bigger hips, much smaller waist..
Cool
Reply 29
I think some people just abuse the word 'curvy'. But others abuse the word 'fat' too, being a size 12 does not make you morbidly obese.
Kash:)

You may call her fat, but she's still 'curvy'. Bigger boobs, bigger hips, much smaller waist..

If she lost 10 kg, she may look completely different. All the fat can go off her hips, and suddenly she hasn't got an hourglass shape anymore. When I think wide hips, I mean that you feel the outside of your hip and you feel a bone, not a layer of fat. Because your hips are shaped a certain way, and creates a line up to your waist. Almost all women (apart from some unlucky apples) gain weight on their hips, it's not unique to be wide down there if you eat enough.
Rolls eyes

Actually both are 'curvy', just Christina is a bit big and Candice is a bit thin. Both have the hourglass figure though, it's about proportions not size or fatness.

But most of the time, people think of curvy as someone like Kim K, Beyonce, J-Lo, etc.
Reply 32
Rolls eyes
If she lost 10 kg, she may look completely different. All the fat can go off her hips, and suddenly she hasn't got an hourglass shape anymore. When I think wide hips, I mean that you feel the outside of your hip and you feel a bone, not a layer of fat. Because your hips are shaped a certain way, and creates a line up to your waist. Almost all women (apart from some unlucky apples) gain weight on their hips, it's not unique to be wide down there if you eat enough.

Body shape stays the same regardless of weight..
fat girls look scary.
neg me all you want, it doesn't change a thing, it's my opinion and I'm entitled to it.
Reply 34
Kash:)
She could be described as curvy because her shoulders and hips are equal and so her waist goes in, creating an hourglass shape. The hourglass isn't as defined as Nigella Lawson, but it's still an hourglass shape.

You can be curvy irrelevant to how fat you are.

Her pose is very deceiving, she would look much less curvy in a straight-on shot. But you are right though. She came up in google when I searched for fat, I didn't look too carefully. :smile:

so I guess in this case curvy = big.

[QUOTE=Kash[excludedFace]smile[/excludedFace]]Body shape stays the same regardless of weight..
From personal experience, I got more hips and boobs when I gained 2-3 kg, then I lost the hips again when I lost the weight, so it can change depending on where the fat settles, and what excersizes you do. Ex, Most marathon runners don't have hips.
Reply 35
I just googled Amber Riley and yeah, she's fat alright.Nothing more and (definitely) nothing less. lol.

When I think of curvy I think of Salma Hayek. She's got a perfect figure
Reply 36
Katq
Her pose is very deceiving, she would look much less curvy in a straight-on shot. But you are right though. She came up in google when I searched for fat, I didn't look too carefully. :smile:

so I guess in this case curvy = big.

Lol, poor girl.

I get much scarier results when I search for 'fat'.
Rolls eyes

She's been thinner and was still curvy. When you have wide hips you can lose all the weight in the world but they don't get much narrower if it's bone.
Reply 38
This is so true! I'm a size 10 but a 32E so would describe myself as 'curvy' (you can disagree if you like, but I have an hourglass figure and my bmi is well within the normal range)
But when people who are quite clearly not 'curvy' are described as such it devalues being curvy and gives people a false sense of having a 'good' figure!
Reply 39
Original post by &#946
Why are people on TSR so obsessed with fat people calling themselves curvy? :p:

The way I see it, there is no scientific definition of curvy (if there is, then please enlighten me) therefore it's entirely subjective and not everyone is going to agree with what's curvy and what isn't. If fat people want to convince themselves that they are curvy then let them, they're only harming themselves.

Just my 2 cents. :smile:

I like your thinking

Latest