The Student Room Group

How far do you agree Germany was the main cause of WW1?

So this is one of my topics in my syllabus for A2 History. From what I have read, it is a mixture of things, however mostly more a series of incidents between Aust-Hung and Serbia along with a decline in the relationships between the countries in Europe.

(Literally just read it up so I'm probably very wrong)
Anyway, ideas?
Alliances, crises, imperialism, militarism and nationalism caused WW1. The assassination of Franz Ferdinand only triggered it.
Apparrently:

Some of the most important long term or structural causes are:
The growth of nationalism across Europe
Unresolved territorial disputes
Intricate system of alliances
The perceived breakdown of the balance of power in Europe
Misperceptions of intent – e.g., the German belief the United Kingdom would remain neutral[12][13]
Convoluted and fragmented governance
Delays and misunderstandings in diplomatic communications
Arms races of the previous decades
Previous military planning[14]
Imperial and colonial rivalry for wealth, power and prestige
Economic and military rivalry in industry and trade – e.g., Pig War (Serbia)

Edit: Also this huge mess lol
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 3
It had very little to do with Germany. If anything, Germany was the least of the contributing factors...
Reply 4
There would have been a war between germany and somebody at some point. it just so happened that a convenient trigger was found (quite literally) in the assassination of Franz Ferdinand, which pulled Austria into a war in the Balkans, with ostensibly Germany on one side, France on the other. Germany used this to invade France using the Schlieffen (?) Plan which had been drawn up years earlier, going through Belgium which brought Britain into the war.

The growing ambition of the Kaiser, the growing nation of Germany, international rivalry, all came to head in this one moment. The German government wanted war and prepared for it. They may even have been behind the assssination, but that is quite far-fetched, I'll admit.
Reply 5
Nicholas II and King George V are thought to have started World War I. Both were supposedly of the Order of the Knights of Malta. I do not know if this is true, but I've read it a few times. I also have saved on my Favourites:

Erich Ludendorff and Matilda: The secret power of the Jesuits and their end. The author suggests that the Jesuits helped Hitler rise to power and had even caused WWI.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/28309458/Ludendorff-Erich-Und-Mathilde-Das-Geheimnis-Der-Jesuitenmacht-Und-Ihr-Ende-1929-Scan-Fraktur

It's in German so you'll have to translate it into English using googletranslate or something.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 6
Europe hungered for war, simple as that.

Austria-Hungary was the primary trigger, wanting gains on Seriba.
Russia felt itself the defender of the Slavs and wouldn't let any Aggression against any of the Slavic states.
Germany was also increasingly ambitious yet was cautious enough not to engage on war by its own, only willing to honour an alliance with Austria-Hungary.
Britain was increasingly alarmed with Germany's increasing ambition, especially their expanding Navy. It is natural for a leading great power to have a hostile attitude towards a serious competitor.
France on the other hand wanted vengeance for the earlier humiliation of 1870 and were more than willing for a rematch with Germany.

Each major power was more than willing to fight a war at that time and it's length and brutality reflected this.
Original post by W-Three
It had very little to do with Germany. If anything, Germany was the least of the contributing factors...

well... until the war was under-way... :p:
Reply 8
There was a lot of military might just waiting to go off... most countries had alliances, so when a small tension occurred, the whole thing blew. Most countries were eager to fight: Britain used a very very very old Treaty as justification.
(edited 13 years ago)
I see everyone metnioning what triggerd the war and not the original cause of the war. We must go back as far as the treaty of Versay in order to find the principal reason.

The treaty vindctive towards the Germans, which later allowed Hiltler to use his artifice to employ that reason very well in starting a war. The Germans believed that penalties should not be paid any more and Hitler accused the Germans who signed the treaty of hightreason. Thats how Hitler fabricated his plans and the main element was the treaty of Versay and it's vendictive condtions.
Reply 10
Original post by thesyrianjackal123
I see everyone metnioning what triggerd the war and not the original cause of the war. We must go back as far as the treaty of Versay in order to find the principal reason.

The treaty vindctive towards the Germans, which later allowed Hiltler to use his artifice to employ that reason very well in starting a war. The Germans believed that penalties should not be paid any more and Hitler accused the Germans who signed the treaty of hightreason. Thats how Hitler fabricated his plans and the main element was the treaty of Versay and it's vendictive condtions.

Nice try but not only did you get the Treaty's name wrong, you also got the wrong war :smile:
Reply 11
The main cause of WW1 were the arms dealers who sold weapons to both sides and stirred up trouble in the first place, they were the only winners.
Reply 12
Original post by Kaskade

It was a mixture of things. The Arabs trying to free themselves from the Ottoman Empire, the dreadnought race... The assassination of Franz Ferdinant was the spark though.
Original post by thesyrianjackal123

Epic fail at being smug and a smartypants, dude.

Causes were:

1) Alliances
2) Growing National awareness (esp. Balkans)
3) Imperialism
4) Arms races
5) Previous grudges.

Spark was:

1) Balkan wars
2) Gunboat diplomacy
3) Assasination of FF in Sarajevo by Black Hand serbs.

One extremely oversimplified list. If you were looking for us to do your essay for you, think again :biggrin:
It was all because of the railroad timetables. This is AJP Taylors theory, it's quite good, check it out.
I heard it was something to do with these guys?

Reply 16
Original post by Squidgyness
Epic fail at being smug and a smartypants, dude.

Causes were:

1) Alliances
2) Growing National awareness (esp. Balkans)
3) Imperialism
4) Arms races
5) Previous grudges.

Spark was:

1) Balkan wars
2) Gunboat diplomacy
3) Assasination of FF in Sarajevo by Black Hand serbs.

One extremely oversimplified list. If you were looking for us to do your essay for you, think again :biggrin:

Well it was worth a try eh :wink:

Nah, I did this essay agees ago in September and was a bit muddles on everything :P I lolled at the fail guy up there. Are you doing History A2?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending