The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

You don't really need to do any but reading through everything you have done is always helpful. Plus you have to obviously do homework which is a type of revision in itself. So with that you should be doing more than enough each day.
Once study leave arrives though, try as hard as you can to do as much as you possibly can. Even I managed to try my hardest to work 9am-11pm most days (obviously with multiple breaks which included walking/jogging/cycling for usefel fresh air) and the world cup was on......and I am a massive football fan!!
Reply 21
ashton.alfred
what did u get? how bright r u?

Check signature.
Reply 22
ashton.alfred
what did u get? how bright r u?

A-Level results are in my sig, and I don't really know how to answer the second question in all honesty. :smile:
Reply 23
Not much. 2/3 months in advance I gradually added in a few hours to do my notes so they were finished by revision time.
Reply 24
Just the standard homework, then kicked my ass the week before exam.
Reply 25
I did a few hours' Politics revision at AS, and none whatsoever for A2. I finished one mark off 'AAA'. (Also technically one mark off 'ABB'; but we don't talk about that.)
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 26
after not doing too well at AS ive turned a new leaf. im not doing like 2 hours a day with more at weekends. byebye social life.
Reply 27
Yeh my school says do however much you do in school out of school. Not including homework I don't do any/much revision during the week but go over stuff i've been doing at the weekend for an hour or two :smile:

Spoiler

(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 28
0. Even during study leave I did almost none, maximum of 1 hour a day until about two days before each exam, didn't write any notes either (never have liked revision notes). I don't recommend it and don't know how I managed to pull out the results I did (AAB). I'm not even lying, even though I knew I should work, I just couldn't! I think most people feel like that at A2. Work as much as you can though before lethargy sets in.
for AS
september - june = 0 hours daily.
june & first ~10 days july = >/= 8 hours daily

not going to be doing that again though. that was a terrible month.
and a waste of time, since i panicked like a bitch in the exams and answered wrong questions etc.

actually it was probably more like 4 each day, then 8 for the 2 days before each.
still felt pretty darn accomplished :colonhash:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 30
Tefhel
0. Even during study leave I did almost none, maximum of 1 hour a day until about two days before each exam, didn't write any notes either (never have liked revision notes). I don't recommend it and don't know how I managed to pull out the results I did (AAB). I'm not even lying, even though I knew I should work, I just couldn't! I think most people feel like that at A2. Work as much as you can though before lethargy sets in.

Our head of sixth-form made it abundantly clear to me (after my attendance fell below 80%) that had I not been predicted three 'A's, they probably would've asked me to leave.

I'm sure it was supposed to chasten me, but it just made me feel like the world's nerdiest delinquent.
I have just finished AS, I did on average about 2 hours but in maths and physics I did 0 work in any lessons so I had to make up for that. Strangely they were the two subjects I did best in.
Zero until about a month before the exams. Got AAA.
(edited 13 years ago)
Organ
Very little at AS, I plan to do more at A2, at some point :erm:

The African Society is expecting a lot from you. :hmmm:

:wink:
Reply 34
A revised the neccessary amount each week. I didn't think about hours that just makes revision pointless.

Revise how much ever you need to revise to accomplish your goals, don't look at the time.
Reply 35
mike2niner4
That would mean at least like 5 hours a night :O

0. minus homework which was done, literally just to get the job done (i.e not taking any of it in).
But did about 4 hours a day during pre-exam revision, and got A*A*A
Reply 36
Zero.
Reply 37
Started at about 2 hours a day from January. Kept this pace, until exam season where I made it 3, and 4 hours if the exam's the next day.
None!! Unless it was homework :smile:
Reply 39
It isn't really needed. I more just do extra revision/reading around because I want to, not because I need to and I only do this in some subjects like Biology because it interest me. TBH proper revision should be left until around 1 month before an exam at the earliest. Sure your school will shower you with all that rubbish but that's because they want to motivate those who they are worried wont achieve. Anyone who works the same number of hours they are at school at home and does it constructively is very likely to attain very high grade IMO.

You have 2 options to make your time worth while:

1) consistently revise for a few hours per night, recapping everything you've done until it become common nature to you (works in sci/maths) and you'll have very little to do around exam time.

2) Just wait until a few weeks or so before the exam and try to retain all the information short term. As long as you've understood everything in the lessons as you've went along and done h/w etc etc then this should come back to you pretty easily but will obviously require quite serious revision to get top grades if you've not done much before this point.

Really it depends on you as a person. If you prefer the little and often approach then do that but if you prefer to cram and are confident in your ability, that works too. :smile:

Personally, don't worry about it too much. Just go with the flow and you'll know how you're performing way before exams and will have time to correct and issues or problems.
(edited 13 years ago)

Latest