The Student Room Group

Revision HELPP

Can one help me how they set their revision timetable, such as how many subjects per day and how long each subject? (also is the pomodoro method real?) Thanks! - p.s this is for GCSE
Reply 1
I used a lot of different revision methods in Year 10 and Year 11 but to prepare for my actual exams closer to the time, I did the three subjects that I had my earliest exams for over and over in a day and did a different set of three the next day or just with one subject switched when I had completed the exam. For me, the timings that worked best were 30 minutes for revision and then a 10 minute break and I would start at the same time for a time slot each day because I found it easier to stick to a schedule that way. I'm not too sure about the pomodoro method, though.
(edited 9 months ago)
Hi, :smile:
I did my GCSE's last year (9 subjects - with eight 9s and one 8) and this was how I revised for them.

weekday schedule:
- I usually split my work into 3 hour long slots.
- Typically spend 1 hour / 1.5 hours for each subject depending on your confidence (within the slot)
eg 1hr (chem, bio, physics) or 1.5 hr (english lit, english lang)
- on a school day I usually spent 3 hours revising after school

weekend schedule:
- I find it easier to do some work in the morning especially between 10am - 1pm (3 hrs) since time goes by really quickly
- I take an hour break for lunch and spend another 2/3 hrs doing revision.
- during term breaks (april/may) I used the weekend routine.

The time and frequency you spend on each subject depends on your confidence in the subject. For example, I struggled with english lit/lang so near the exams I spent more time revising for those. If you're currently not sure which ones to prioritize I would do it in this order
1. Subject most likely to take for a level / uni
2. Maths
3. English Language (tbh maths and english are both the same priority so you can choose from the two which one you prefer)
4. Chemistry and Physics
On average, I would aim to have each subject present in the timetable twice (within the timeslots) and every 3 days if possible (ensure they're evenly spread).

Don't feel pressured to stick to this plan, this was just what I did, and you can probably achieve better with less time. The revision technique is more important than just checking off hours. I found it better to start revising in September and build up the intensity casually while others may do better cramming before the actual exam, I found it less stressful that way. In general, focus on the subjects you're less confident on and evenly space out your revision for each subject across the week.

Good Luck!
(edited 9 months ago)
Original post by tweetybiiiiird20
Hi, :smile:
I did my GCSE's last year (9 subjects - with eight 9s and one 8) and this was how I revised for them.

weekday schedule:
- I usually split my work into 3 hour long slots.
- Typically spend 1 hour / 1.5 hours for each subject depending on your confidence (within the slot)
eg 1hr (chem, bio, physics) or 1.5 hr (english lit, english lang)
- on a school day I usually spent 3 hours revising after school

weekend schedule:
- I find it easier to do some work in the morning especially between 10am - 1pm (3 hrs) since time goes by really quickly
- I take an hour break for lunch and spend another 2/3 hrs doing revision.
- during term breaks (april/may) I used the weekend routine.

The time and frequency you spend on each subject depends on your confidence in the subject. For example, I struggled with english lit/lang so near the exams I spent more time revising for those. If you're currently not sure which ones to priorities I would do it in this order
1. Subject most likely to take for a level / uni
2. Maths
3. English Language
4. Chemistry and Physics
On average, I would aim to have each subject present in the timetable twice (within the timeslots) and every 3 days if possible (ensure they're evenly spread).

Don't feel pressured to stick to this plan, this was just what I did, and you can probably achieve better with less time. The revision technique is more important than just checking off hours. I found it better to start revising in September and build up the intensity casually while others may do better cramming before the actual exam, I found it less stressful that way. In general, focus on the subjects you're less confident on and evenly space out your revision for each subject across the week.

Good Luck!

Thank you for this response! This is really helpful! However I have a few questions, for sciences do you revise 1 hour for each science or together in 1 hour? And when your saying I need a subject present in the timetable twice is that about the whole week or per day? Lastly, how many subjects are you talking about per day?
(edited 9 months ago)
Original post by ekiraiai
Thank you for this response! This is really helpful! However I have a few questions, for sciences do you revise 1 hour for each science or together in 1 hour? And lastly when your saying I need a subject present in the timetable twice is that about the whole week or per day?

I did an hour for each science. I don't recommend revising them together as they're quite different and it uses up more time.
And for the timetable its per week! :smile:
I did an hour for each science. I don't recommend revising them together as they're quite different and it uses up more time.

Yes! Okay Thank you!!!
Reply 6
Original post by ekiraiai
Can one help me how they set their revision timetable, such as how many subjects per day and how long each subject? (also is the pomodoro method real?) Thanks! - p.s this is for GCSE

I did my GCSEs last year (10 9's and 1 8), and my revision timetable was drastically different depending on where I was in the year. I assume ur going into year 11, during my year 10->year 11, I didnt revise too much; I maybe did an hour and a half every day on the 3 sciences. For all 3 sciences my revision would just be going through the spec points, making anki notes on the individual points, and then doing the anki notes. When I actually started to revise properly, and especially in the gcse period itself, I would normally do 2 subjects a day - 1 subject in the morning up until maybe 2? and 1 subject in the evening. For essay based subjects like history I would work in blocks of 2 hours followed by a half an hour rest. This might be too long for you, but I felt like taking 20 minute slots and breaking really interupted my thinking. For sciences I worked in hour slots then had a 15 minute break. I am definitely able to work for quite long without tiring myself out (I think in the 12 days before the history gcse I worked an average of 11 hours a day because I didnt feel prepared), so you might want to do shorter times. However I do thik that the pomodoro method can be annoying in that it breaks ur concentration. It also wouldnt work if doing timed papers for example
Reply 7

Yea ive seen people before saying that they revised the sciences together? Im not even really sure how you would do that, given that there is no overlap with the sciences at gcse in my experience. There is more at A level but even then its just with physics standing waves/quantum and quantum chemistry really
Original post by Ariichu
I did my GCSEs last year (10 9's and 1 8), and my revision timetable was drastically different depending on where I was in the year. I assume ur going into year 11, during my year 10->year 11, I didnt revise too much; I maybe did an hour and a half every day on the 3 sciences. For all 3 sciences my revision would just be going through the spec points, making anki notes on the individual points, and then doing the anki notes. When I actually started to revise properly, and especially in the gcse period itself, I would normally do 2 subjects a day - 1 subject in the morning up until maybe 2? and 1 subject in the evening. For essay based subjects like history I would work in blocks of 2 hours followed by a half an hour rest. This might be too long for you, but I felt like taking 20 minute slots and breaking really interupted my thinking. For sciences I worked in hour slots then had a 15 minute break. I am definitely able to work for quite long without tiring myself out (I think in the 12 days before the history gcse I worked an average of 11 hours a day because I didnt feel prepared), so you might want to do shorter times. However I do thik that the pomodoro method can be annoying in that it breaks ur concentration. It also wouldnt work if doing timed papers for example

Thank You! This is very helpful as this is the current situation I will be in!
Original post by username6141423

I did my gcses last year, and while i did not get as good grades as the people in the comments (just a few humble 8s and 7s), I just wanted to put my 50 cents in here :smile:

The pomodoro method is definitely very useful, helped me concentrate a lot, but you need to find which one works for you. By that, I mean, are you a 40/20 person? Or 45/10? Maybe you could be 25/10? Or even 120/20?
I'd say take a month and every week to use different timing to see which one you concentrate the best in!

Some people do better in short burts of studying rather than long ones, and that's totally fine!

I'd also say that during your breaks (if you do use Pomodoro), it is to do something continuously.
By this, I mean do the same thing every break time (unless you want to go eat/use the restroom).
Something I did was either I read my book or I walked around my house.
Now, while i revise for my A lvls, during my breaks, I just play geometry dash 😂.

Also, a tip I'd have if you do any humanity (history or re) is to memorise key dates and quotes! Helped me so much, i went from a 2 (in both subjects) to an 8 (mind you, I only revised the day before)!

Quick Reply

Latest