The Student Room Group

"Tell me I'm worthy!!" - English 2011?

Just kidding, but I really would love some help in regards to where I could possibly go! I have my own favourites in terms of university choices, and have weighed up the pros/cons many times, but I'm pretty ignorant in regards to the "competition" for places, to be honest. This is obviously a huge disadvantage when I'm trying to decide which five to put on my UCAS application: I really need a "safe" option or even two. I am looking to read English in 2011.

GCSEs:

A*AAABBBBC (and also a C in "short course" Welsh, and a Pass in DiDA Level 2.)

AS:

AABB
English Literature, Religious Studies, Psychology and History, respectively.

Please note that I put in absolutely no effort for either my GCSEs and AS levels. I know it was stupid, but for some reason I thought I would come out with good grades despite literally no revision. ^^" I am definitely trying harder this time around. My predicted grades are AAA and I am not sure if I would be able to get an A* in either English Literature or Religious Studies, as I'm not sure whether getting less than a 90% overall for those two this year has any impact on that? Sorry to ask so many questions.

My Personal Statement is probably average or slightly below average: there isn't much I can say in terms of personal skills outside of being a prefect, helping out at an autistic spectrum youth club, and helping out at an online forum owned by a friend, every once in a while! xD

My first choice is probably Birmingham, with Southampton being second. Would Warwick and Bristol be too far out of my league, do you think? And I'm still in need of a fifth choice, too. Brighton is a candidate for that, though if I'm honest, I'd really not rather go there! I haven't been able to go to an open day and the information I've seen on their website doesn't seem as professionally-done as other sites. (Just my personal prejudices coming out there. :rolleyes:)
Reply 1
Bump. :P

Bristol just told me today that there's basically no point in me applying! Guess that's out of the window then unless I try to wrangle an A* prediction for English (I think I could do it).

I'm talking to myself here, huh? :smile:
Heyy, I'm in the same position as you, only with rubbish GCSE's :biggrin: The universities I'm looking at are Leeds, Sheffield, East Anglia, Oxford Brookes, York, QM, King's and Manchester. I liked the look of Bristol too, but there was no way I'd have ever even been looked at!
Reply 3
Hey, my GCSEs are rubbish! Just look at them - they're abominable! xP

I didn't really like Bristol or Warwick, lol. I think that might have been the "I'll never get in anyway" factor but at the same time, I don't know that I'd have liked the atmosphere anyway. Warwick seemed to especially play up a bit of fear as their main attraction, which really put me off - "If you don't go here, you'll never get a job or have a meaningful life!", as if the world is made up of Warwick graduates and then the rest are all tramps on the street. xD

This stuff is so stressful. :P

Latest

Trending

Trending