The Student Room Group

Exam Boards - Help!

Hey everyone.

Just started my AS's, and was hoping people could share their views/experiences on exam boards. I've just been looking up the biology specification for both OCR and Edexcel. Now I'm doing edexcel, and have noticed that the OCR specification for bio definitely does seem to have more in with more topics covered and more details. Now I am being paranoid but is this actually the case? How much are exam boards allowed to differ? Does anyone think one is harder than the other?

The same goes for my other subjects. I'm doing edexcel physics but it seems it may be quite light compared to others. Both are Salters, if that makes a difference.

Any help on this matter is greatly appreciated. I've been watching Cambridge interviews and it would be balls if in an interview if i applied they asked a question but it was not covered in the spefication I'm doing but is covered in another exam board. Likewise a lot of the OCR As stuff seems to be done in A2 Edexcel, which is wprrying too. Appreciate the responses :smile:
Reply 1
If you are considering Cambridge you need to read beyond your specification anyway to demonstrate an independent interest (i.e beyond what you've been taught) in your chosen subject.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 2
I am doing that, just not so intensely at the moment. But my question comes as I would prefer not to be handicapped by any particular exam board as as much as I can do stuff on my own, It's not feasible to do massive amounts like to knowing all the content inside out with extra.
When you apply to Cambridge you tell them what topics you've covered so that won't be a problem. And there is a basic curriculum from the QCA which all exam boards have to follow so they generally cover the same topics. Salters Chemistry is a lot worse than Chemistry A - ask the school to justify why they chose it.
Reply 4
fredster2004
When you apply to Cambridge you tell them what topics you've covered so that won't be a problem. And there is a basic curriculum from the QCA which all exam boards have to follow so they generally cover the same topics. Salters Chemistry is a lot worse than Chemistry A - ask the school to justify why they chose it.

They actually care about that? Was told today of a person from my previous school who applied to cambridge and they asked him about Maths from modules he had yet to srudt.

Is Salters worse than the A version of the A level? I'm taking OCR Chemistry Salters, and Edexcel Bio and Physics Salters.
Reply 5
Lmao - OCR is more advanced than Edexcel. Wow, things have changed a lot. Maybe because it's A-Level and not GCSE. I mean Edexcel maths was difficult so it was around 80% (raw) for an A* but for OCR science it was 75% (raw) I don't really get it as science was much easier than maths, but I'm not complaining (well I am in regards to maths)
AndroidLight
They actually care about that? Was told today of a person from my previous school who applied to cambridge and they asked him about Maths from modules he had yet to srudt.

Is Salters worse than the A version of the A level? I'm taking OCR Chemistry Salters, and Edexcel Bio and Physics Salters.

Yes it is. The 'A' syllabus is a lot better preparation for university chemistry and just generally acquiring good, useful knowledge of chemistry. Salters is tries too hard to relate things to everyday life and in the process the interesting detail is lost.
Reply 7
Damn feeling quite pee'ed off, I'm talking Salters for all 3 sciences.
Reply 8
fredster2004
Yes it is. The 'A' syllabus is a lot better preparation for university chemistry and just generally acquiring good, useful knowledge of chemistry. Salters is tries too hard to relate things to everyday life and in the process the interesting detail is lost.

Can I ask, how much of a disadvantage do you reckon it is? As in how much of the non salters version would be missed for AS or the whole thing?

I find it rubbish that some exam boards are better than others in terms of what you're taught.

Anyone else able to help? Are the Salters worse?
I'm on OCR for Biology and Chemistry but this WJEC for Physics???? Is that a welsh board? Is it any disadvantage at all?
AndroidLight
Can I ask, how much of a disadvantage do you reckon it is? As in how much of the non salters version would be missed for AS or the whole thing?

I find it rubbish that some exam boards are better than others in terms of what you're taught.

Anyone else able to help? Are the Salters worse?

You won't be disadvantaged at all because, after all, it's your school who's chosen the board, not you. However, you would acquire better knowledge doing a non-Salters option. The content of the Salters courses focuses on history and very practical uses whereas there is a better balance in the A syllabus.
Robpattinsonxxx
I'm on OCR for Biology and Chemistry but this WJEC for Physics???? Is that a welsh board? Is it any disadvantage at all?

Don't know about physics a level, but I took wjec for History GCSE and thought it was really good. Made History really enjoyable and one of my favourite subjects. And yeah it's welsh.

fredster2004: Thanks for the responses, helped a lot. I'll be sure to put in some extra reading time, thanks.

Latest