The Student Room Group

urgent gcse access scripts advice!!

My brothers asked his school (which is also the exam center he sat his exams at) if they can send a request to access his scripts for 2 subjects so that he can decide which papers to send in for a remark since he's only 1 mark off an A in both and the exams officer has refused saying it isnt possible when the exam board websites and JCQ say that it is, what should we do?

Does anyone know if theres some sort of appeals or complaints procedure for this?

Its all very frustrating and scary since this could really impact his future so any advice would be appreciated!!
Reply 1
Original post by clozapine
My brothers asked his school (which is also the exam center he sat his exams at) if they can send a request to access his scripts for 2 subjects so that he can decide which papers to send in for a remark since he's only 1 mark off an A in both and the exams officer has refused saying it isnt possible when the exam board websites and JCQ say that it is, what should we do?

Does anyone know if theres some sort of appeals or complaints procedure for this?

Its all very frustrating and scary since this could really impact his future so any advice would be appreciated!!

What subjects?This is very odd as schools can get scripts back to advise on which to remark.Is this GCSE or A level?@PQ can you advise here?
Muttley (can’t tag on my phone) would be better placed to advise than me.

It might be that he’s not being clear or using the wrong terminology about what he wants.

If he prints off the pages from the exam board and JCQ websites and uses them to ask again and if the EO refuses again I would ask for the school policy that they are refusing on the grounds of.
Reply 3
Original post by Scotney
What subjects?This is very odd as schools can get scripts back to advise on which to remark.Is this GCSE or A level?@PQ can you advise here?

Original post by PQ
Muttley (can’t tag on my phone) would be better placed to advise than me.

It might be that he’s not being clear or using the wrong terminology about what he wants.

If he prints off the pages from the exam board and JCQ websites and uses them to ask again and if the EO refuses again I would ask for the school policy that they are refusing on the grounds of.

thank you!! its for his GCSEs in AQA english language and edexcel economics I've helped him write an email with screenshots from the exam board websites and the JCQ document so fingers crossed- my dad is the only person in the country at the moment and he's refusing to help us contact the school which is a bit rats,, @muttley (is this how you tag someone??) do you have any advice? thank you :smile:
Reply 4
thank you!! its for his GCSEs in AQA english language and edexcel economics I've helped him write an email with screenshots from the exam board websites and the JCQ document so fingers crossed- my dad is the only person in the country at the moment and he's refusing to help us contact the school which is a bit rats,, @muttley (is this how you tag someone??) do you have any advice? thank you :smile:

Almost@Muttley79 can you advise please?
Reply 5

https://www.aqa.org.uk/exams-administration/after-results/post-results/copy-of-marked-paper

You do NOT want your original script back because then it can't be reviewed - this is the service you want. Get a teacher to check it then decide - this service is free

https://www.aqa.org.uk/exams-administration/after-results/post-results/copy-of-marked-paper
Reply 6
Original post by Muttley79

You do NOT want your original script back because then it can't be reviewed - this is the service you want. Get a teacher to check it then decide - this service is free

Thank you Muttley!
Reply 7
Original post by Scotney
Thank you Muttley!

It saves a lot of money and exam board time - we send very few off now we can check the marking and only review ones we are pretty convinced have errors.
(edited 7 months ago)

I hadn’t realised that copies were free. What a fabulous teaching aid! And even more weird that a school would be refusing
Reply 9
Original post by PQ
I hadn’t realised that copies were free. What a fabulous teaching aid! And even more weird that a school would be refusing

Edexcel have offered free copies for a while but it's great that all do now. It has really cut down on reviews in my school.
Reply 10

Thank you!! We ended up doing this and hes had a copy back now and is trying to decide which ones to send in for a remark-- we've been told that teachers aren't allowed to see it or give advice as its exam board property, is this true?
Thank you!! We ended up doing this and hes had a copy back now and is trying to decide which ones to send in for a remark-- we've been told that teachers aren't allowed to see it or give advice as its exam board property, is this true?

No, complete rubbish - I check papers to advise as that is what this service is for!
Reply 12
No, complete rubbish - I check papers to advise as that is what this service is for!

thought so!! im so annoyed at his school,, at mine i had teachers ask me if i could give permission for them to see my scripts to help with teaching so i thought this was a bit weird-- is there anywhere on an exam boards website i can find this? ive had a poke around but cant seem to find anything!! thank you
thought so!! im so annoyed at his school,, at mine i had teachers ask me if i could give permission for them to see my scripts to help with teaching so i thought this was a bit weird-- is there anywhere on an exam boards website i can find this? ive had a poke around but cant seem to find anything!! thank you

You child has to give permission to get the copies back and, yes, I would normally check they are happy for me to look at it. I would take this to Governors once it is resolved - it's crazy they are being so awkward.
Reply 14
You child has to give permission to get the copies back and, yes, I would normally check they are happy for me to look at it. I would take this to Governors once it is resolved - it's crazy they are being so awkward.

thank you for all your help!! theyve always been difficult- he was meant to have the same access arrangements as i did but didn't end up getting them and when we tried pushing for them his head of year claimed it was past the deadline to apply for them even though it wasn't and we had to do the whole screenshots thing again but luckily he's not there for sixth form so things should be a lot better for him from here on out
thank you for all your help!! theyve always been difficult- he was meant to have the same access arrangements as i did but didn't end up getting them and when we tried pushing for them his head of year claimed it was past the deadline to apply for them even though it wasn't and we had to do the whole screenshots thing again but luckily he's not there for sixth form so things should be a lot better for him from here on out

Oh dear .. I would take this to Governors even though he's left.

Quick Reply

Latest