The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Can someone check out my laptop please. Got it for £200 2 months ago.

System
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Manufacturer Dell Inc.
Model XPS M1530
Total amount of system memory 4.00 GB RAM
System type 64-bit operating system
Number of processor cores 2
Intel Core 2 Duo T9300
Windows 7 Ultimate
2.7 GHz

Storage
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Total size of hard disk(s) 320 GB

Graphics

Display adapter type NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT
Total available graphics memory 2047 MB
Reply 5801
600W is fine, but that build is nosing it. At full load (not that anyone really sustains it) I think that will draw about 550W. But with his price range I'd opt for a better PSU, even if it means a 570 instead of a 580. You could also put a better mobo in there with the savings from 570, allow an upgrade path to SLi 570s if the person in question so wishes. If they want to stick to single GPUs, I'd still recommend dropping to a 570 and a better quality PSU. £1000 budget and a £50 PSU? Come on, I know you know better.

Original post by Tancock75
Buy a mac.. It will leave you thinking how you got by 19 years of your life without one!.. If you do decide to get a pc, the money you will initially save will be due to the hardware companies that provide pc parts - cutting corners resulting in significantly shorter life span and a clear decrease in computing speed in a matter of months. Ultimately you will be back to buying a new pc within 2-3 years tops! False economy my friends.

Buy a mac, virus free, intuitive operative system and market leading technology !

(Proud new owner of 2011 Ultimate Macbook Air 13&quot:wink:

Cool story bro. Go troll somewhere else. This is a help thread.
Buy a mac.. It will leave you thinking how you got by 19 years of your life without one!.. If you do decide to get a pc, the money you will initially save will be due to the hardware companies that provide pc parts - cutting corners resulting in significantly shorter life span and a clear decrease in computing speed in a matter of months. Ultimately you will be back to buying a new pc within 2-3 years tops! False economy my friends.

Buy a mac, virus free, intuitive operative system and market leading technology !

(Proud new owner of 2011 Ultimate Macbook Air 13")

but on windows I can readily download **** for free and mod games easily
Original post by Akbar2k7
but on windows I can readily download **** for free and mod games easily

You can do this on mac too, using Utorrent etc. Also, you have zero risk of virus' like you would have with a PC.
Ah, this is good to know thanks. It also has a webcam intergrated and a fingerprint recognition scanner. Btw if I were to sell it, I have about substantial worth of software in total on here now i.e Rosetta Stone, Tell Me More, Norton 360 Gold, Microsoft Office Pro Plus 2010 and may more. Would I able to include this in the price tag? :tongue:
Would I be better off with a Mac as so many people on this thread suggest?
LOL, I know that. :P I'm just saying are Macs better? No cons whatsoever?
Ah, okay that's good to know thanks. But Macs are just generally all on the high end of specs?
Reply 5808
You can do this on mac too, using Utorrent etc. Also, you have zero risk of virus' like you would have with a PC.

Haha, this is so misinformed. Macs can and do get viruses. However few do because there aren't as many viruses programmed for it due to the small user base.
With an increasing user base I can only predict the number of threats increasing.

This is very different to a zero risk/can't get viruses.

Please stop this discussion, it will only end in a flame war. If you really feel the need to continue please pm me.

Original post by Aristotle's' Disciple
Ah, okay that's good to know thanks. But Macs are just generally all on the high end of specs?

True, but they do have other benefits depending on the product. Whether or not it justifies the price is up to you. Def. not in the £200 budget though :smile:

Yer but that psu is good for up to 576w on the 12v rail alone, and can topple 700w at peak load.

Your correct would be alot easier to just get the 700 - 800w version for futureproofing though :smile:

Not just for future proofing, efficiency as well :smile: Wouldn't need more than 750W/850W, even with a dual card configuration. (I'm assuming the OP will not be going dual 6990s/590s or WC)
(edited 12 years ago)
Could I just ask which is a better mobile processor?

i7-720QM or i5-2410M.

I would say the i7 but everyone i've asked say the i5 'because it's sandybridge' which I think is a lame reason as sandybridge is just a code name...

Also which is better- HP Envy 15 or Lenovo G570 top spec for CAD work?

Both cost just shy of £600
(edited 12 years ago)
posted your build on another forum (not that i don't appreciate our help, just i'm trying to get opinions from all across the board as i'm very out of the loop with all this computer stuff these days) and this is one of the replys regarding the 6970 build with psu

Hav eyou also thought how you will power the 6970 as that PSU doesn't have an 8 pin +12V line, unless you plan to use the 8 pin CPU one.
You could look a the CX600 which has 2 6+2 pin connectors.
Reply 5811
Original post by abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz
posted your build on another forum (not that i don't appreciate our help, just i'm trying to get opinions from all across the board as i'm very out of the loop with all this computer stuff these days) and this is one of the replys regarding the 6970 build with psu

I'm sure it has 6+2 pins. I'd rather the 580 over the 6970 btw :smile:
Original post by Zorg
I'm sure it has 6+2 pins. I'd rather the 580 over the 6970 btw :smile:

any reason why? does it justify the extra 80?
XPS L502x
Hard Drive : 640GB Serial ATA (7200RPM)
Battery : Primary 6-cell 56W/HR LI-ION
Graphics : 1GB NVIDIA GeForce GT 525M Graphics card
Memory : 6144MB (1x2048 + 1x4096) 1333MHz DDR3 Dual Channel
8X DVD +/- RW DRIVE
Display : 15.6" HD WLED True-Life (1366x768) with 2.0 Mega Pixel Integrated Camera
Power Supply: 130W AC Adapter
Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium (64 BIT)
LCD Back Cover : Silver WWAN
Processor: Intel Core i5-2540M processor 2.60 GHz

^^^All for £425 (if quidco tracks) or £458 if it doesn't. Really happy with that purchase!

I could have got a system with a 2Gb graphics card for £519 but they sold out in 30 minutes!
Reply 5814
Ok, I'm planning on buying something this week. This is the spec I'm fairly happy with https://www.aria.co.uk/WishList/pD5FHDO71q1tyTB6-gnHVg,,

I've revised it a bit since the last wish list I posted. Mostly a cheaper graphics card because I decided I wanted a bigger SSD. I realised Windows alone takes 20GB, so considering a 60GB SSD will only have around 50GB usable space, I'd only be able to install one game and a few applications before running out of space. But 120GB should be more than enough.

Is there anywhere I might be able to get the same sort of spec significantly cheaper? If there's only going to be a few quid difference then I'll just stick with this.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 5815
Original post by abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz
any reason why? does it justify the extra 80?

Better drivers/support and better performance. It's the best single GPU solution at the minute and all this for a similar thermal output and power draw
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 5817
This is my last build. Any one advise whether this is ok or is the can get better? I wanna stay as close to £700 as possible. This set up was £711.

Thanks
Reply 5818
Hi,
last time i'll pester you about this. How's this build looking? Need to order by end of tomorrow so looking to decide on my final build. Anything you'd recommend to change etc? Potentially save money? :smile:

Thank you

P.S extra Ram is for my netbook :smile:
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 5819
Thanks very much :smile: Just bought it! Excited! :biggrin: Changed the RAM to suit the netbook so thanks for pointing that out!
(edited 3 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending