The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Have a look at this same or very similar components cheapertoo
Reply 5981
Original post by CyclopsRock
I'm thinking of putting this together:

A little thing, quickly: I also work in 3D production. As such, the quad-core processor is really useful (cores are used almost linearly in rendering - my workstation at work has two quad-core Xeon's and it uses up 100% of the juice - it's a joy to behold, but not one I can afford!) and ditto with the 16gb of RAM.

Right now, I have a Q6600, an Nvidia 8800GT and 4GB Ram. Games have gradually been getting choppier and choppier and, with Deus Ex round the corner and then BF3 later on in the year, I want a new machine. This one's lasted me 4 years and it's done a bang up job, but it's time to move on! Is there anything obviously ridiculous or silly with the build? I'm not in a massive rush - I hear the Bulldozer coming out soon from AMD will push the price of the Sandybridge Intel's down? - but is there any other reason for me to hold back, or anywhere that I'm wasting silly ammounts of money?

(I have a monitor, optical drives, SATA drives, an OS and peripherals already!)

Edit: Just realised the case is MicroATX!! Other than that...

Edit 2: Basically the exact same thing on Aria got down to £780 inc VAT. And a few of the prices were better on OCUK. I'll put together a mesh...

Edit 3:

OCUK: CPU (£156), GPU (£134)
Aria: Mobo (£121), SSD (£142), RAM (£94), PSU (£59), Heatsink (£24), Case (£30)

Total: £760

I got the same mobo and processor for a new computer in april - both excellent and the board is really easy to work with for overclocking, particularly if you've never done it before (although obviously find some trusted tutorials!), so IMO the K version is worth the extra money.

If I remember right I managed to get mine to run at 5.5 GHz for about half an hour just for ****s and giggles :redface: although obviously without serious cooling thats not going to be anywhere near stable enough for normal use....if you do plan to overclock though, do get a decent aftermarket CPU cooler, the performance increase you can get makes the extra £20 worth it (i've got http://www.maximumpc.com/article/reviews/cooler_master_hyper_212_plus)

I also have an OCZ PSU, had no issues with it so far, and came with interchangeable cables and all that jazz so you shouldn't have any problems with it. :smile:
Thanks for all the feedback guys, it's much appreciated. Thanks for taking the time to do that Nabs, though it seems that with VAT added and with the extra 8GB RAM from my original quote added, it works out more or less the same. Still, it's all very helpful, as I can pick and choose the cheapest bits and bobs from the various places.

And Thanks for your impressions Miles. I do plan to overclock it, and whilst I haven't done so for a number of years now, I spent many-a-day fiddling about with voltages and multipliers and re-applying thermal compound, do I'm fairly familiar with the process (assuming it hasn't changed too much since 2007 or so!) That said, I don't plan to OC it for the sake of it. I'm sure at first, this should deliver me all the performance I need. I've only really survived this long because the majority of the games I play are Source based, which I'm pretty sure would run well on my phone if they were coded for Android, but with games like DX3 and BF3 coming out, I really need the extra juice!

Again, thanks everyone for their input.
Thanks for all the feedback guys, it's much appreciated. Thanks for taking the time to do that Nabs, though it seems that with VAT added and with the extra 8GB RAM from my original quote added, it works out more or less the same. Still, it's all very helpful, as I can pick and choose the cheapest bits and bobs from the various places.

And Thanks for your impressions Miles. I do plan to overclock it, and whilst I haven't done so for a number of years now, I spent many-a-day fiddling about with voltages and multipliers and re-applying thermal compound, do I'm fairly familiar with the process (assuming it hasn't changed too much since 2007 or so!) That said, I don't plan to OC it for the sake of it. I'm sure at first, this should deliver me all the performance I need. I've only really survived this long because the majority of the games I play are Source based, which I'm pretty sure would run well on my phone if they were coded for Android, but with games like DX3 and BF3 coming out, I really need the extra juice!

Again, thanks everyone for their input.

Glad to help :smile:
Hey, I'm new to this thread, but I'm going to be starting a BA(Hons) in Architecture at Plymouth in September, and I want/need a laptop for it. I am clueless when it comes to computer knowledge, as is my father, so any help would be appreciated.

As for usage, I don't play computer games, however I foresee a lot of CAD usage; AutoCAD, ArchiCAD, or something. I'm not sure quite which but I’m guessing something of that ilk. And then the rest will be for essays and research on the internet, and things like photoshop, google sketchup, stuff like that.

As for accessories:
speakers - bog standard is fine
Advise on the possibility of getting an extra computer screen to go in my room would be appreciated not sure if it would be wise/worth it at this juncture?
Am considering the possibility of a graphics tablet mouse, worth it for CAD and photoshop stuff?
standard keyboard nothing fancy, but usable

Price wise, i think the highest possible upper limit for everything is £600, but would prefer to spend well...as little as possible! ..about £500 (also, we know someone who can get us £100 off any HP laptop...but I guess that's buying direct from HP)

Any help would be appreciated, and please don't hesitate to ask for more details if needed.
Reply 5985
Hi, I would like to know how much my pc is worth. It is used but runs fine and in good condition. Thanks in advance :smile:

Window Vista Home Premium
AMD Sempron(tm) 3000+ 1.99 GHz
RAM: 1535 MB
32 -bit
NVIDIA GeForce FX ND-3520A

Hey guys, I've been running a machine I built in 2000 for 11 years and so it's time I upgraded.
I'm a bit out of the loop but this is what i've put together. I did actually see a better solid state drive for roughly the same price but I was unsure of the brand and its reliability.

This will be my machine throughout the time I am at uni.

Motherboard:
Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3, AMD 970, AM3+, PCI-E 2.0 (x16), DDR3 1866/2000, SATA 6Gb/s, RAID, ATX
http://www.scan.co.uk/products/gigab...6gb-s-raid-atx

CPU:
AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition, S AM3, 3.4GHz, 8MB Cache, 125W
http://www.scan.co.uk/products/amd-p...he-125w-retail

RAM:
Corsair Vengeance 8GB DDR3 1600 MHz XMP Dual Channel
http://www.scan.co.uk/products/8gb-%...9-9-24-xmp-15v

SSD:
OCZ 120GB Vertex 2 SSD 3.5"
http://www.scan.co.uk/products/120gb...rce-controller

HDD:
Samsung 1Tb Spinpoint F3 HDD
http://www.scan.co.uk/products/1tb-s...cache-89ms-ncq

GFX:
Sapphire HD 6790 AMD Radeon Graphics Card - 1GB
http://www.scan.co.uk/products/1gb-sapphire-hd-6790-pci-e-21-%28x16%29-4200mhz-gddr5-gpu-840mhz-800-cores-dl-dvi-i-dp-hdmi

Case: Sharkoon Full ATX Tower
http://www.scan.co.uk/products/shark...-4044951010943

PSU: Corsair Builder Series 600W Power Supply
http://www.scan.co.uk/products/600w-...et-fan-atx-v23

Gen Copy Win7 64-bit Pro

Total System cost (inc Win7 64-bit Pro edition, cables etc):

£677.55

Went with an AM3+ board to be able to upgrade to AMD's new 35nm processors when they become available and at a good price.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Pegasus2
blah

What are you going to be using it for - this build will be pants for gaming - upgrade the GPU to an AMD 58xx or 68xx or 69xx alternatively nVidia gtx460 1Gb or 560ti +

might want to recheck your power supply...
Reply 5988
Looking for some advice and comments on this build: It's meant for a general use/light gaming, so not high end stuff. If people have improvements, or I've got something wrong in there could they suggest something different. However that price is the very maximum of the budget I've been given.

Reply 5989
Original post by Stirlo
Looking for some advice and comments on this build: It's meant for a general use/light gaming, so not high end stuff. If people have improvements, or I've got something wrong in there could they suggest something different. However that price is the very maximum of the budget I've been given.

Spoiler

Shop on Ebuyer/Scan/Aria. They'll have much lower prices. Aria are doing some good deals on RAM at the minute as well.

Go for an OEM version of the OS (it just comes in plain packaging and you can't use it for more than one machine but I've had no trouble just calling up MS and saying I've just made some major upgrades etc.)

With the saved money get a better case, Samsung 1TB F3 and a better motherboard.

What sort of games are we talking by the way? I'm selling my 5770 as soon as my new GPU arrives, which should be in the next couple of days. Just shy of 5 months old and never been overclocked.
Original post by A.BakeACake
Hey, I'm new to this thread, but I'm going to be starting a BA(Hons) in Architecture at Plymouth in September, and I want/need a laptop for it. I am clueless when it comes to computer knowledge, as is my father, so any help would be appreciated.

As for usage, I don't play computer games, however I foresee a lot of CAD usage; AutoCAD, ArchiCAD, or something. I'm not sure quite which but I’m guessing something of that ilk. And then the rest will be for essays and research on the internet, and things like photoshop, google sketchup, stuff like that.

As for accessories:
speakers - bog standard is fine
Advise on the possibility of getting an extra computer screen to go in my room would be appreciated not sure if it would be wise/worth it at this juncture?
Am considering the possibility of a graphics tablet mouse, worth it for CAD and photoshop stuff?
standard keyboard nothing fancy, but usable

Price wise, i think the highest possible upper limit for everything is £600, but would prefer to spend well...as little as possible! ..about £500 (also, we know someone who can get us £100 off any HP laptop...but I guess that's buying direct from HP)

Any help would be appreciated, and please don't hesitate to ask for more details if needed.

Can't really find anything that can beat the value of this at the moment. i5 2410m and a gt 540m.

http://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/Acer_Aspire_5750G_1091432.html
Original post by Chaz_Hack_Rabbit
What are you going to be using it for - this build will be pants for gaming - upgrade the GPU to an AMD 58xx or 68xx or 69xx alternatively nVidia gtx460 1Gb or 560ti +

might want to recheck your power supply...

It is for gaming, yes.

Rang up scan and amended my order for an 800W PSU instead of the 600, you wernt the only one to flag it.

Unfortunatly I can't afford a better GPU, I don't want anything bleeding edge as I don't usaslly play stuff with max graphics anyway. I read some reviews of the 6790 and it's effectivly a disabled 6800 but twice as good as the 6770. I will OC it too.

Thanks for your advice.
Reply 5992
Original post by Zorg
Shop on Ebuyer/Scan/Aria. They'll have much lower prices. Aria are doing some good deals on RAM at the minute as well.

Go for an OEM version of the OS (it just comes in plain packaging and you can't use it for more than one machine but I've had no trouble just calling up MS and saying I've just made some major upgrades etc.)

With the saved money get a better case, Samsung 1TB F3 and a better motherboard.

What sort of games are we talking by the way? I'm selling my 5770 as soon as my new GPU arrives, which should be in the next couple of days. Just shy of 5 months old and never been overclocked.

This one isn't for me I already have two 6870's in crossfire, if you were offering me your GPU ^^. It'll just be games like Sims that'll be played on this (for family use mainly).

Thanks for the advice, I've never done a full build before from scratch only upgrade my gaming one a few parts a year. Will look at everything you've advised
Reply 5993
Original post by Stirlo
This one isn't for me I already have two 6870's in crossfire, if you were offering me your GPU ^^. It'll just be games like Sims that'll be played on this (for family use mainly).

Thanks for the advice, I've never done a full build before from scratch only upgrade my gaming one a few parts a year. Will look at everything you've advised

Cool, no problem. Just thought, seeing as I was selling it close to your price range I'd offer.

This seems to be quite relevant to your cause.
Reply 5994
Zorg
-snip-

My build's complete if you're interested, here. :smile:
I've been thinking about a SSD for the new build I'm planning (for the OS and other programs, maybe a game or two) and came across this on hotdeals : http://www.ebuyer.com/246998-kingston-96gb-v-100-2-5-sata-ii-ssd-read-230mb-s-write-180mb-s-svp100s2-96g

Its definitely cheap, but the read and write speeds are a lot lower than others I've seen. On balance is it worth getting?
(edited 12 years ago)
Or slightly more and get the OCZ-Solid 3 - similar read/write speeds, but double the capacity and only about £15 more!
Reply 5997
Original post by rich2606
I've been thinking about a SSD for the new build I'm planning (for the OS and other programs, maybe a game or two) and came across this on hotdeals : http://www.ebuyer.com/246998-kingston-96gb-v-100-2-5-sata-ii-ssd-read-230mb-s-write-180mb-s-svp100s2-96g

Its definitely cheap, but the read and write speeds are a lot lower than others I've seen. On balance is it worth getting?

Or slightly more and get the OCZ-Solid 3 - similar read/write speeds, but double the capacity and only about £15 more!

Or pay slightly less and get the Crucial 60GB M4.

Avoid the new Sandforce controllers like the plague, although some people have reported theirs as being fine a worryingly large number of people have had issues.

The Sandforce controller is the fastest out of the Intel/Marvell/Sandforce generation, but it's also the one with the most issues even after several firmware revisions.
The Marvell controller, on which the M4 is based, has had issues but they seem to be ironed out now. Intel has been rock solid as far as I know, but they're quite pricey.

Original post by Sarky.
My build's complete if you're interested, here. :smile:

:drool:

Good work. Makes me want to move my rig in to an SG05. I'm gonna hunt for a decent SFF PSU now....
Reply 5998
Original post by Zorg
:drool:

Good work. Makes me want to move my rig in to an SG05. I'm gonna hunt for a decent SFF PSU now....

Thanks, Look for the SG05-450. Black interior, 450W PSU (Which could output 600W from what I read :eek:)

Latest

Trending

Trending