The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Table
game?
what is cashback? is it worth it?
and does this website accept NUS cards or any other ways of getting discounts?

as in, do you want to be doing any gaming?
well basically with Lenovo, you buy its £460, after 30 days your supposed to go on lenovo-saving.com and enter a form with receipt, etc and they send you back £50 later on.
I don't think so.
Reply 8501
Original post by Iqbal007
as in, do you want to be doing any gaming?
well basically with Lenovo, you buy its £460, after 30 days your supposed to go on lenovo-saving.com and enter a form with receipt, etc and they send you back £50 later on.
I don't think so.

the website says the cashback is only for Lenovo Ideapads.
so are the ones i suggested 1st gen processors?
you suggested me a lenovo g580, and one of my suggestion was lenovo g570.. whats the difference?
Original post by Table
the website says the cashback is only for Lenovo Ideapads.
so are the ones i suggested 1st gen processors?
you suggested me a lenovo g580, and one of my suggestion was lenovo g570.. whats the difference?

That is a Ideapad, it applies to them all which are stated with cashback.
They are 2nd gen processors.
Difference is the processor and integrated graphics, which are slightly more powerful, but better power efficiency.
Reply 8503

I've just bought that Medion model, it will arrive in 3-5 working days as it has been dispatched today. and I will help review it for you if you wish. But yes MSI is more renown for gaming...and looks.(look at the pricetag!)
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 8504
Would someone mind giving me their opinion on Sony's Vaio E1511F1EB http://www.johnlewis.com/231642427/Product.aspx

I would mainly be using it for everyday use, along with a bit of programming using Java/Python.
Cheers
Original post by CJAW
Would someone mind giving me their opinion on Sony's Vaio E1511F1EB http://www.johnlewis.com/231642427/Product.aspx

I would mainly be using it for everyday use, along with a bit of programming using Java/Python.
Cheers

Not a bad spec laptop and it's a pretty decent screen
Reply 8506
Original post by wizard710
Not a bad spec laptop and it's a pretty decent screen

Would it be worth getting an i5 rather than an i3 in your opinion?
They are pretty similar, MSi has the better graphics and weighs less.
From what I read, the Medion has good ventilation, but battery life lowers due to extreme gaming.

Maybe wait till Tyles ventilation.

I was going to buy medion but stopped cos i saw review that their CS is not good and apparently they have cheap components which breaks in 1-2 years....so im thinking of going.with msi..what u think?
Anyone had any experience with this Lenovo Ideapad S205? http://www.johnlewis.com/231577606/Product.aspx . Is the 'AMD E450' processor any good?
Original post by Tyles
I've just bought that Medion model, it will arrive in 3-5 working days as it has been dispatched today. and I will help review it for you if you wish. But yes MSI is more renown for gaming...and looks.(look at the pricetag!)

thanks, please do review
Reply 8510
I ended buying this:http://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/Lenovo_Z580_Windows_7_Laptop__M81E2UK/version.asp
is it a good choice? could i have gone for something better for the price (i can always cancel the order and get another)?

x
Original post by CJAW

Cheers

http://search.laptopsdirect.co.uk/nav/pbgbp/06/type/laptops/br/sony/0

much better offers

Original post by Killerstorm2
I was going to buy medion but stopped cos i saw review that their CS is not good and apparently they have cheap components which breaks in 1-2 years....so im thinking of going.with msi..what u think?

MSi is a good make, they make great components for custom building pcs, so yes why not, and the graphics will be a lot more powerful. Check up on the temps when its on loads.

Original post by Whyalwaysme
Anyone had any experience with this Lenovo Ideapad S205? http://www.johnlewis.com/231577606/Product.aspx . Is the 'AMD E450' processor any good?

Lenovo are generally good, however issue the processor isn't as good as the i3.

Original post by Table
I ended buying this:http://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/Lenovo_Z580_Windows_7_Laptop__M81E2UK/version.asp
is it a good choice? could i have gone for something better for the price (i can always cancel the order and get another)?

As far as I know, there isn't anything that comes close, unless you want to look at Acer who have reliability issues, hence why they are cheapish.
Original post by CJAW
Would it be worth getting an i5 rather than an i3 in your opinion?

I'd err towards a yes. While Java/Python is quite quick, a couple of extra cores in the processor can never hurt, especially in a couple of years time.
Original post by wizard710
I'd err towards a yes. While Java/Python is quite quick, a couple of extra cores in the processor can never hurt, especially in a couple of years time.

you mean extra threads, laptop i5's are dual core :smile:
How is this:

Processor AMD A6-3420M Quad Core (1.5GHz, , Up to 2.4GHz in Boost Mode)
Screen 15.6" (Acer CineCrystal, 1366x768 HD, High Brightness, LED Backlit)
Operating System Windows 7 Home Premium Edition 64-bit
RAM 4GB (DDR3)
Hard Drive 500GB
Optical Drive DVD Rewriter (Records DVDs 8x & CDs 24x & Dual Layer Super Multi)
Graphics Dedicated (AMD Radeon HD 7670M with 1GB Dedicated RAM)
Wireless LAN Wireless (802.11b/g/n Wireless)
Network Card 10/100/1000 Gigabit Fast Ethernet
Integrated Webcam Integrated Webcam with Microphone
Card Reader 5-in-1 card reader
USB Ports 2x USB 2.0 ports/1 x USB 3 port
Speakers Integrated Sound System
VGA Port 1 External VGA Port
Kensington Lock Kensington lock slot
HDMI 1x HDMI Port
Warranty 12 Months Acer Collect & Return
Battery Life 3-4 Hours (up to 4 hours with power management)
Weight 2-3 Kg (This Model 2.5 Kg)

£320
Reply 8515

As far as I know, there isn't anything that comes close, unless you want to look at Acer who have reliability issues, hence why they are cheapish.

thanks for your help, but i have been reading online and people are saying that lenovo laptops have bad wireless cards... or connections proplems with wifi. is this really a problem?
Original post by Table
thanks for your help, but i have been reading online and people are saying that lenovo laptops have bad wireless cards... or connections proplems with wifi. is this really a problem?

Firstly its user experience, secondly the one linked, is generally a new model, suggest looking up specific reviews relating to that model.
Well yes of course it should, your motherboard would have given off a warning signal if the fan speed dropped below a certain rpm :s-smilie:

I've been googling, apparently the GIGABYTE mobo has a feature called 'smart fan' which only switches the fan on above a certain temperature. Trying to switch it off :confused:
Reply 8518
Original post by flown_muse
I've been googling, apparently the GIGABYTE mobo has a feature called 'smart fan' which only switches the fan on above a certain temperature. Trying to switch it off :confused:

Fan might not always spin if it's not needed. What CPU cooler are you using? The fan is hooked up to the CPU Fan header right? Some motherboards only have one of these and multiple chassis fans or case fans. The difference is usually that the CPU Fan is PWM controlled and the chassis fans are not.

If the fan does spin up every now and then, do a 5 minute Blend run of Prime95 and let us know the temperatures (use a temp monitor such as RealTemp)

EDIT: If the fan never runs, stop using the PC and either try hooking it up to a fan controller/different fan header or try a different fan
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by flown_muse

did you connect the cpu fan to the right connector? might have a label on it saying cpu fan
you need to go into your bios, or if gigabyte provided another software, use that

Latest

Trending

Trending