The Student Room Group

Foundation art and design Application

hi guys!
Does anyone know whether the ABB grade requirement's are 100 % needed for Glasgow school of art? i've been trying to think about my portfolio but really don't want to put a lot of my A level stuff in as I think A level is very 'A levely' and restricted... In order to get that top grade i don't think my personal art style would suffice!!! lol but finding it very hard to make time for both portfolio and actual A levels! it's like it is one or the other. gahhh!!

oh and has anyone any idea if you are under a huge disadvantage applying around the deadline or would it be better to apply around mid november-ish?

final question ( yes my school are only interested in helping if you're applying for medicine or law!!!!) Personal statement? Does the 'normal personal statement rules' not apply? e.g head girl, prefect, choir, drama, duke of ed, debating teams bla bla? do they really care? or is it a more arty approach were you really just express your sincere love for art, why you want to do a foundation, where you see yourself going, what you're doing at the moment, mention some inspiration and elements of art you like?

any info would be GREAT! thank you
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 1
Most uni's can change the grade requirements they offer you. It is up to them and the ones they advertise are only guides.
If you are going from a-level to foundation they will understand that your work will be "a-levely" and they will accept this. Nearly everyone who applys for a foundation will use there as and a-level work as there main parts of the portfolio. What I have learnt from doing this last year is the more the better! You get restricted to about 15-20 single pages for your portfolio which need to be your best work yet showing development (maybe your best pages from a sketchbook from a-levels?) and then your sketchbooks as back up of how good you are. You don't get a limit with sketchbooks so make them as fat as you like and as many as you like! This will show all your potentional and you can make a really good impression with sketchbook.
I would apply as soon as you can as the offers will go as soon as they start interviewing and liking people. They may wait until the deadline to give out all the places but a lot can be gone by then! Esp the good places.
The personal statement is slightly different to the UCAS one. They are shorter and they want to hear about your art background but they also want to hear about how well rounded you are. Normally the applications are helpful in what they are after. Different uni's differ so they normally have guidelines. Try not to worry! Good luck with everything and if you have anymore questions I don't mind answering.

Latest