The Student Room Group

General Studies...whats that all about???

whats going on? :confused: i'm being forced 2 do a subject that no uni's ever accept and is a total waste of my time. does anyone else feel this way? or can anyone give me some kind of happy feeling that i havn't been wasting a precious time that i could have used doing somethin fun? i seem to recall a teacher sayin it was for my benefit, i cant seem 2 see why!!!!!!
Reply 1
Some unis will consider it in clearing. Also if 2 people have exactly the same grades and compare well at interview it may be considered (or so I've heard) besides its only a couple of extra hours of your life and when you are older like me and your CV isnt so academically based you can just put on your CV that you got 4 A Levels and noone checks that one is general studies.
Reply 2
I have applied to Lancaster (Natural Sciences) and Leeds (Chemistry-Pharmacology) and both accept general studies as one of the three A-Levels. Besides, general studies is a topical subject that is relevant to life. At the end of the day, it's an extra qualification that requires no revision so just enjoy it!
Reply 3
chappill
whats going on? :confused: i'm being forced 2 do a subject that no uni's ever accept and is a total waste of my time. does anyone else feel this way? or can anyone give me some kind of happy feeling that i havn't been wasting a precious time that i could have used doing somethin fun? i seem to recall a teacher sayin it was for my benefit, i cant seem 2 see why!!!!!!

just get lower than a B in it (make sure you don't put it on your UCAS form), then your school probably won't make you do it next year. it worked for me :biggrin:
chappill

i actually feel like i'm missing out because my sixthform doesn't do general studies!
Reply 5
They do GS, because it is an easy A level. They still recieve the same amount of funding as a normal A level.
Reply 6
Its a doss, we sat a mock in the jan and anyone who got C and above sat the proper exam. I had fun with it actually the essays are great fun (lol how sad am I).
Reply 7
The bursar at my school explained to me that schools only do general studies for the money. The school get's the same funding as if it were another A-level, but hardly any money needs to be spent on equipment, books, extra teachers, etc.

Our school policy is not to enter students for GS - instead we encourage students to do a 'proper' A-level instead.

J.
Reply 8
Schools/colleges also do it so it increases the points per student rating in the league tables cos even if you only get a C thats like 80 points per student more than without much effort
Reply 9
i'm still in school, not college, so would someone kindly tell me what GS exactly is? Is it just general stuff about life?
When I took it back in the dark ages it was 2 3 hour exams. 1 exam included 2 half hour essays arguing an opinion, the other 1 half hour essay.
The other 4 1/2 hours were split between cultural/society/political knowledge (about 50%),
10% maths (A level standard),
10% language,
10% spatial awareness,
10% science
and 10% comprehension (reading a complicated article and answering questions on both the content and the language used).
Reply 11
In OCR its three papers for AS the scientific domain, the social domain and the cultural domain, and they are kind of general knowlage papers, like on scientific one they asked about diet and photosynthesis, why cars have disc brakes. In the social domain you have to answer questions on issues such as race religion and politics, a previous question has been define 'cool'. and the cultural domain asked us about the infulence of music.

All papers have a few short questions followed by a choice of essay questions

Latest