The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

Professional Certificate in Accounting

Has anyone else completed this course with the OU yet?

How difficult was it and when you gain your certificate, how hard is it to get into Accounting - professional training and practical experience?

Just making a few enquiries and in order to qualify with ACCA, you need to complete the exams (which I believe this certificate will exempt some) and a minimum of 3 years experience. Was offered a voluntary position today with training on the job, but would voluntary work count towards experience for ACCA? Anyway, I had to turn the offer down as it was made on the assumption that I had already been awarded the Professional Certificate in Accounting but after getting this certificate, how hard has it been for previous students to gain relative work experience in this field with it? Was it just a one off fluke for me to be offered on the job training with this certificate?
Reply 1
I'm in my last week of the introductory course, Starting this next month. I'm led to believe the Professional Certificate will exempt you from 6 of the 9 modules and exams needed for CAT which is as far as you can get without work experience. I don't see personally that whether the work is paid or not makes a difference - however in saying that, I've had conversations with 2 companies that have both said they won't accept volunteers looking for experience even after I gain the certificate and neither would they accept someone qualified without work experience. Catch 22 rings a bell.
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

Latest