The Student Room Group

PGCE funding

Hi,
I have done a PGCE-PCET back in 2012, I passed the course but didn't not obtain my QTLS afterwards.
I've now accepted a place for a Primary PGCE with QTS, when I apply for student finance, do I say that I did pass the original PCET or not because I didn't get the QTLS afterwards?

Also roughly when do 24/25 finance applications open next year?
Original post by mamaof4
Hi,
I have done a PGCE-PCET back in 2012, I passed the course but didn't not obtain my QTLS afterwards.
I've now accepted a place for a Primary PGCE with QTS, when I apply for student finance, do I say that I did pass the original PCET or not because I didn't get the QTLS afterwards?

QTLS is separate from the PGCE PCET anyway . It is obtained by completing professional formation and is not mandatory to teach in FE. In this case, you answer Yes as you have passed the PGCE.
Reply 2
Original post by bamtutor
QTLS is separate from the PGCE PCET anyway . It is obtained by completing professional formation and is not mandatory to teach in FE. In this case, you answer Yes as you have passed the PGCE.

Fab thank you, but I should still be able to secure finance for a 2nd pgce?
Original post by mamaof4
Fab thank you, but I should still be able to secure finance for a 2nd pgce?

That I don't know. Hopefully one of the SFE reps will pick your query up in the morning. @Sfe
Original post by mamaof4
Hi,

Hi mamaof4,

Yes, if you do not hold a QTS and are going to study a PGCE course that does lead to a QTS, then we wont take your previous study into account.

Applications for the new academic year generally open in the early spring, however this will be announced on your account and our social media channels.

https://logon.slc.co.uk/cas/login

Thanks, Clare
Reply 5
Original post by SFE Clare
Hi mamaof4,

Yes, if you do not hold a QTS and are going to study a PGCE course that does lead to a QTS, then we wont take your previous study into account.

Applications for the new academic year generally open in the early spring, however this will be announced on your account and our social media channels.

Thanks, Clare

Thanks,
So as above, do I say I did get the pcet qualification as I did pass it.... but I'll still be eligible for another year as I don't have QTS
Original post by mamaof4
Thanks,
So as above, do I say I did get the pcet qualification as I did pass it.... but I'll still be eligible for another year as I don't have QTS

Hi mamaof4,

Yes, you would confirm your previous study on that section however, just for your own peace of mind, it would be worthwhile uploading a cover letter to your account, just to confirm that you did not receive the QTS and you can provide any evidence of this such as certificates/university transcripts.

Thanks, Clare
Reply 7
Hi mamaof4,

Yes, you would confirm your previous study on that section however, just for your own peace of mind, it would be worthwhile uploading a cover letter to your account, just to confirm that you did not receive the QTS and you can provide any evidence of this such as certificates/university transcripts.

Thanks, Clare

I have the certificate of the PCET, but not anything to show I don't have QTS?
Original post by mamaof4
I have the certificate of the PCET, but not anything to show I don't have QTS?

Hi mamaof4,

That's fine, you can just explain this in the cover letter so that the assessors know.

Thanks, Clare
Reply 9
Great, so just attach a cover letter basically saying what I've said here?
Thanks so much for all of your help
Original post by mamaof4
Great, so just attach a cover letter basically saying what I've said here?
Thanks so much for all of your help

Hi mamaof4,

Yes, that's correct. You're welcome, have a lovely day. :smile:

Thanks, Clare
Reply 11
Hi mamaof4,

Yes, that's correct. You're welcome, have a lovely day. :smile:

Thanks, Clare

Hi, as I'll now be looking to apply for funding when applications open in the next couple of months, can you confirm that I should still be able to get funding for the PGCE with QTS even though I have a previous PGCE? (No qts or qtls)
Hi there, if you don't hold a QTS you should still be eligible for the funding. If you send the above evidence when you apply (that Clare has advised). Thanks, Jason
Reply 13
Original post by SFE Jason
Hi there, if you don't hold a QTS you should still be eligible for the funding. If you send the above evidence when you apply (that Clare has advised). Thanks, Jason

Perfect, so pop on a covering letter explaining? Should I also attach the certificate? Everything I see says don't attach things not asked for? I don't want to cause issues haha
Hi there. Yes, you can upload it, as it will eventually be asked for once they start processing it. Thanks, Leah.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending