The Student Room Group

Primary Early Years Education 2011 - Official Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by kizzz!
I got that letter too !

well hopefully we won't have too long to wait.. although it says end of Jan.. which is like now, so think it will be Feb at the earliest which is when Plymouth have said too. I really want an offer! hoping the letter means they are still interested though :/
Reply 381
Original post by r e b c a
hi! i have an interview there soon in two weeks! what is it like? im excited but nervous at the same time haha! what did they ask you etc?
thanks

x

Some people have the interview in the morning and some have it in the afternoon. I had my interview in the morning and it was really relaxed, the only nervewracking thing was talking for 2min about the artefact and why you want to be a teacher. After that in groups of 3 you are given a poem to read and pick out important aspects of it such as meaning and patterns which have to relate to current issues. Then in the group of 3 you are given topics to discuss such as things you have learnt from your experience in schools and current issues etc. There is a writing task at the end where you write half a page on what the day has been like and any other things you think would strenghten your application etc.
In the afternoon we were given a campus and accommodation tour and that was it ... pretty relaxed day so no need to worry too much about it. =]

:tongue:
Interview tips?
Original post by charlieandlola.
I am SO nervous about the Durham interview. What are you doing in the way of preparation?

x

nothinggg as of yet (terrible I know, as I'd REALLY love to get an offer from Durham) but my last exam is wednesday so after that I shall be hammering preparation to home, probably just mental notes and explore the internet.
What about yourself?

xx
Has ANYBODY heard ANYTHING back (good news or bad) from Gloucestershire University yet?

Had my interview back in November and was told to expect to hear from them by the end of January... there is one day left in January now "/

Dont know what to think, would love it if someone has any more knowledge on the situation xx
Original post by msabigail1
Interview tips?

My advice is just to be yourself!

Just be really natural and relax and you'll be fine.
- Know about a few current educational issues from Times Educational Supplement etc and have an opinion of them.
- Dress smart-casual.
- If there is a group discussion/interview make sure you put your input in but leave room for others to talk.
- Be sure to talk about work experience and extra-curricular activities especially those with children.
- Use words like; stimulation, engage, enthusiasm, interactive etc. But make sure you know what you're talking about!
- As hard as it is, just relax, this will come across to the interviewers and they will like it.
- Ask questions about the uni/course, this shows that you're interested.
- try to befriend the other candidates a little, this will make it easier for you to talk to them in group discussion.
- Know exactly why you want to be a teacher, practise saying the reason and make it sound good.
- Take references with you from your work experience and show them to the interviewers. Also show any work you have, e.g I did GCSE child development so I take my coursework which was a child study along.

Good Luck :smile: x
Reply 386
This might seem like a stupid question, but do people bring their parents? One of my friends went to an interview and everyone had their parents with them and another friend only a few brought their parents.
Original post by mkmkmk
This might seem like a stupid question, but do people bring their parents? One of my friends went to an interview and everyone had their parents with them and another friend only a few brought their parents.

I've had 3 interviews so far and the vast majority took parents but i dont think it matters too much really. My first two interviews I had my 'rents with me but the third one I didnt, only because they couldnt get the time off work, but it was fine either way.

Hope that helps x
A lot of unis seem to be sending out letters/emails to interviewed candidates saying that they're just waiting on tda allocations. Anyone had one from MMU, Edge Hill, UWE or YSJ?

:smile: x
Reply 389
Original post by Becksiee26
Has ANYBODY heard ANYTHING back (good news or bad) from Gloucestershire University yet?

Had my interview back in November and was told to expect to hear from them by the end of January... there is one day left in January now "/

Dont know what to think, would love it if someone has any more knowledge on the situation xx

Hii im also waiting to hear back from Gloucestershire and i had my interview early december. I want to think no news is good news however im not sure if that is the case any more.

The waiting is driving me crazy :s-smilie:. Not even had any emails or letters to say sorry about the wait whereas some people have said their unis have done.
Let me know if you hear anything, and good luck :smile:
I just found this thread, woohoo :biggrin:

I've applied to Nottingham trent, Sheffield hal, Leeds met, Edge hill and Derby. I have been invited to interviews for all 5, and so far I've interviewed at Sheffield and Derby. Derby emailed me confirming that they intend on giving me a place, however because of silly Michael Gove they aren't sure of how many places they get.

Does anyone know anything about why they don't know how many places they are allowed/when we will know?
Anyone been to an interview at Notts trent and can give me any tips/heads up? :smile:
Reply 391
Original post by nataliexo
yeah i was thinking to myself 'no news is good news!' but hey, i've got an offer which i will be taking up
just waiting on durham now!

yeah :/ kinda silly, if they were gonna reject me at least do it rather than send me an email lol

17th december :x

yeah i agree, i wouldn't have minded waiting 2 weeks but over a month for a rejection?? meh lol fair enough it's been xmas but still :P
sorryto hear, at least we're in the same boat :smile:!

Did they at least say why they had rejected you? i mean you cant have done anything that wrong (ie fail a task or something)because they would have told you like pretty soon after your interview.
Reply 392
What I've heard from some unis is that, after your interview, if they're going to reject you... they'll do it straight away (or within a reasonable amount of time) so if you don't hear from them they want to give you a place or you're a 'maybe' and they're waiting on their allocations. So, I guess no news is good news :smile:
Original post by Jess78
What I've heard from some unis is that, after your interview, if they're going to reject you... they'll do it straight away (or within a reasonable amount of time) so if you don't hear from them they want to give you a place or you're a 'maybe' and they're waiting on their allocations. So, I guess no news is good news :smile:

My philosophy exactly!! Well it's what I like to think :smile: Why would they keep you waiting and waiting if they knew they wanted to reject you, it seems a bit pointless. My unis have said that they normally reject within 15 working days of the interview.
Good luck :smile:
any one had a notts trent interview got one on wednesdayy!
Hi, I'm applying for Primary Education at Glasgow & Strathclyde, I've had loads of problems with my application, because until November I was doing a Marketing course at Newcastle Uni ( worst decision ever!).
My referee literally took months to even look at my application, meaning I missed the 15th deadline :/ but finally it's been sent, but I'm really nervous that it's already too late. I have my A-Level grades (AABB) which satisfies the requirements, but I don't think that will be enough :s
I've had friends drop out and apply as late as may for other unis but with the whole interview process involved with Education courses I'm scared I've no chance :s-smilie:

Anyone know if you can be rejected without an interview, I'd rather know as soon as possible if I've no choice :frown:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 396
Original post by marriedgirl
Hi, I'm applying for Primary Education at Glasgow & Strathclyde, I've had loads of problems with my application, because until November I was doing a Marketing course at Newcastle Uni ( worst decision ever!).
My referee literally took months to even look at my application, meaning I missed the 15th deadline :/ but finally it's been sent, but I'm really nervous that it's already too late. I have my A-Level grades (AABB) which satisfies the requirements, but I don't think that will be enough :s
I've had friends drop out and apply as late as may for other unis but with the whole interview process involved with Education courses I'm scared I've no chance :s-smilie:

Anyone know if you can be rejected without an interview, I'd rather know as soon as possible if I've no choice :frown:

You can def. be rejected without an interview. Education course are so over subscribed in the majority of Scottish uni's there is well over 1000 applicants for education courses and they obviously aren't going to interview everyone!

When did you actually send your application? I think the uni's will probably still consider your application based on work experience etc.

Good luck and I hope you get interviews:smile:
Original post by Becksiee26
nothinggg as of yet (terrible I know, as I'd REALLY love to get an offer from Durham) but my last exam is wednesday so after that I shall be hammering preparation to home, probably just mental notes and explore the internet.
What about yourself?

xx

I've written the presentation but I'm worried its way off the mark! I'm not sure exactly what they're looking for- do you think its one of those titles that are deceptive? Deary me. I'm the same- its my absolute first choice. Good Luck for your exam- what are you taking?
xx
Original post by kywright
I've got an interview at Durham on 28th Feb...has anyone else?
Kelly

Mine's the 17th- am really very nervous. Should try and calm down, I guess! x
Reply 399
Looking for some advice:

I sent my ucas off on 30th Nov- I have one A-level already at B and predicted two more Bs, my reference was also very good. I applied for Brighton, Chichester, Winchester, Brimingham City and Canterbury and so far have 1 interview from Brighton which i recieved an e-mail on the 6th Jan. I have no rejections but have still not heard from the other Unis, with interviews in full swing at most places i was just wondering what you think i should do?
Does anyone have or have had interviews at these places?

Also on a slightly lighter note, anyone one got a interview for 5-11 Primary education course at Brighton 9th March ? Be good to get in touch with people before.

Quick Reply

Latest