The Student Room Group

Training Contracts 2013

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
hey just wondering did the majority of you guys applying for TC's get firsts?
thanks
Reply 41
I got a 2.1.
Original post by phonebooth
hey just wondering did the majority of you guys applying for TC's get firsts?
thanks

I did but already have my TC
Reply 43
I got a high 2:1 (and from a pretty average university)
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 44
I got my offer in Sept and don't finish my degree until June, so they offered me a TC with a 2.i in both first and second year results. Some of my module results were pretty shocking too, although I had extenuating circumstances after being ill and missing quite a lot of both first and second years.
Reply 45
Hi there, new to this forum and just looking for a bit of advice!
I'm irish, studied law and did a masters in Ireland but would love to work in London. I just got an interview invite with SNR Denton.
Question - is there any way in preparing for the watson glaser test?! any books/websites that people have used that they would recommend?

I also have to do a spelling test which I was quite surprised by - think my spelling is good but now questioning it!

This will be my first interview for a 'proper' job so I don't really know what to expect! Has anyone interviewed with SNR before? Those who have done interviews with law firms, were there questions that came up often?

I'm quite nervous and i rrreally want the job which really is the killer! Would love to well on the day but already have the fear!
On the Hogan Lovells TC application it asks whether you've won a 'Hogan Lovells Prize'? Anyone know what they are?!
Reply 47
Original post by billybob13
On the Hogan Lovells TC application it asks whether you've won a 'Hogan Lovells Prize'? Anyone know what they are?!

Hogan Lovells have collection prizes at Oxford, for example.
Reply 48
Original post by eve_22
Hogan Lovells have collection prizes at Oxford, for example.

Pretty sure there's a prize for a Tripos paper, too.
Original post by hmaus
Yes I had my interview but haven't heard anything yet. Really not sure whether it will be a yes or not - some parts seemed to go well but a few questions were a bit dodgy. They definitely seemed to be doing the "good cap, bad cop" routine and their reactions to some things on my CV slightly surprised me, but I think I justified my choices well so we'll see... Anyway it was a mixture of questions about work experience, uni, why law, why slaughters, current affairs. They do really push you on some points though and you definitely need to know your stuff on current affairs Qs as they keep probing if you try to get away with vague answers! The topic I got was alright but on one question I backed down and agreed with the "good cop" then thought oh no, they probably wanted to see how far I would defend my point of view!

Anyway, I found the interview experiences VERY interesting - the atmospheres of the three firms were very different and not really what I was expecting.

I really really loved Freshfields more than I expected and think the interview went quite well so am hopeful about that. Will be gutted if they don't take me as I felt like I got on well with everyone I met and and seemed to make a good impression. Their questions and assessments seemed more relevant than at the other firms and they were genuinely interested in my opinions and experiences, which I certainly can't say for Travers Smith! Was quite shocked at the narrow-mindedness and downright weirdness of Travers and the partner who interviewed me didn't read my application form properly and has some very strange ideas. Don't want to give too many details in case I out myself but he really irritated me and gave a terrible impression of the firm. If they offer me a TC (which I doubt!) I won't accept it.

Omg, I'm the same about Travers Smith. I had a really awkward interviewer who didn't have anything to say about my answers ... he was basically like "Er.. yes, well, moving on!" And my answers weren't THAT bad, you know, I'm not an idiot. And he just made me feel really quite small.
I realise they are looking for someone who can hold their own, and maybe I didn't do that very well, but.. really. It wasn't even like he was disagreeing with me, he just wasn't saying anything.
I now know how it feels to thoroughly "not get on with" an interviewer.
Btw guys, heres a quick extra-curricluar thing you can get involved with. Write an article for the Student Law Reports!

And sorry this is off topic but hopefully it will help you get a TC, VS and so on.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=1507726
Reply 51
Am doing quite a few over the next couple of months - however will be out of the country for some time (volunteering, etc) after that, until late June.

I've never travelled so want to do that and I think it will really help my CV, but what do you think firms who recruit on a rolling basis will think? Do you think if they know I'm out of the country I'll have no chance as I can't attend an assessment day early on if I apply before I go? :confused:
Reply 52
Hey had first round interview with SNR Denton......psychometric tests followed by competency based interview
Had to do spelling test (very easy) and Watson Glaser test before interview.

What I would say is that practise as much as possible for the Watson Glaser, Hogan Lovells have a mini one on their website but its only 17 qs, the real one is 80qs and its fairly time pressured.
As for the interview its pretty straightforward - just make sure you have strong and varied examples of competencies -

- I was asked about
- Greatest achievement
- Example of teamwork
- Example of persuasion
- How do you deal with difficult people in a team
- How do you cope with change

There were no introductory questions such as 'Why Law' or 'Why SNR Denton' so I tried to incorporate that into my answers when possible
The woman who interviewed me didn't probe or question at all; this in fact made it harder for me because I ended up rambling a bit too much.
Keep it concise.

And good luck!
Reply 53
Original post by MrVee
Hey had first round interview with SNR Denton......psychometric tests followed by competency based interview
Had to do spelling test (very easy) and Watson Glaser test before interview.

What I would say is that practise as much as possible for the Watson Glaser, Hogan Lovells have a mini one on their website but its only 17 qs, the real one is 80qs and its fairly time pressured.
As for the interview its pretty straightforward - just make sure you have strong and varied examples of competencies -

- I was asked about
- Greatest achievement
- Example of teamwork
- Example of persuasion
- How do you deal with difficult people in a team
- How do you cope with change

There were no introductory questions such as 'Why Law' or 'Why SNR Denton' so I tried to incorporate that into my answers when possible
The woman who interviewed me didn't probe or question at all; this in fact made it harder for me because I ended up rambling a bit too much.
Keep it concise.

And good luck!

i have mine next week. thank you so much for the insight. were you asked questions probing your commercial awareness?
re watson glaser - did you come across any books/websites that you found helpful? i did the hogan lovells test alright and didn't do too great so looking to see how i can improve before the interview.
How are everyone's TC apps going? I got rejected from Freshfields today but have ACs at Hogan Lovells and Herbert Smith although not until March/April. Also, what does everyone think about the Simmons & Simmons MBA? I can't decide whether I would want to do it or not. I think it would be really useful in terms of learning about business etc, but not sure if I want to do another year of studying after the GDL/LPC!
Reply 55
Original post by hmaus

Btw I came across a useful briefing from Herbert Smith on legalweeklaw. If you haven't seen it it could be worth a look in preparation for their interview. It has summaries of the biggest changes to the legal industry for 2011 and how various practice areas are affected. I have saved it for a more detailed look later... think it could be very handy for these "write about an issue facing the industry" type questions!

hmaus,

Do you have the link for this briefing? Thx!
Reply 56
Original post by hmaus
Yeah sure:

http://legalweeklaw.com/abstract/preview-2011-bribery-act-2010-jackson-reforms-takeover-code-5953

I think you'll have to sign up (free) if you don't have membership.

Thanks much! :smile:
Original post by hmaus
I just this minute sent off another TC app (Dechert). I feel strangely motivated this evening which is an improvement after having to practically force myself to fill in the A&O and Links forms last week...

I had the same thoughts as you about the Simmons MBA - potentially v. useful and interesting but not sure if I want another year studying and living on a relatively low income after the LPC. I think going to Simmons without doing the MBA might be "risky" though, as they could end up with two tiers of trainees where the MBA ones with a more thorough knowledge of business might get given better quality work. I might be over-thinking it though! Wonder what sort of percentage take them up on the MBA. I am intending to apply there but haven't finished the form yet. Think I might have to take a more systematic approach and work through them properly rather than starting hundreds of forms and not actually finishing them...

Too bad about Freshfields but good luck for the upcoming ACs. I have two lined up as well (one in a couple of weeks, one right in the middle of my exams in May) but still waiting to hear from so many places.

Btw I came across a useful briefing from Herbert Smith on legalweeklaw. If you haven't seen it it could be worth a look in preparation for their interview. It has summaries of the biggest changes to the legal industry for 2011 and how various practice areas are affected. I have saved it for a more detailed look later... think it could be very handy for these "write about an issue facing the industry" type questions!

Yeah, I think in the Chambers Students True Picture guide to Simmons they raised concerns about there being two tiers of trainees and that worries me slightly. Also I wonder if they'll think that because you don't want to do the MBA that you're not interested in the business/commercial side of things... I think about half the trainees do it, it would be interesting to talk to someone who had to find out how useful they found it. Good luck with your ACs as well.
what does everyone think about the Simmons & Simmons MBA?

Introduced during the height of the post-crunch deferral mania, it seemed (at the time) a relatively attractive way to while away the time while gaining a 10k maintenance grant and a potentially useful understanding of business.

Now, it looks more like struggling mid-tier firm attempts to gain some "commercial awareness" credibility with its clients by offering MBA with no work experience criteria, from organisation without any MBA accreditation, track record, known business school professors or alumni network.

It's free, as opposed to the £20k plus you'd pay at LBS, Insead, Warwick etc. I expect the IB boys would say that is a fair reflection of its market value.
Reply 59
:eek: Gah - this thread makes me feel like I really need to get myself into gear, and rightly so... Congrats to everyone with ACs! I've only done one TC app so far (Links) but I don't expect much success since it was extremely last minute. I'm definitely going to get my Hogan Lovells application done this weekend and hopefully a few more off before the end of the month.

Good luck everyone!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending