The Student Room Group

training contracts mid tier uni?

Hi all. I'm trying to make university decisions at the moment. I'm wondering if it is possible to get training contracts if I end up at a mid tier uni (such as UEA or sussex) since they're incredibly competitive. I want to become a solicitor in the future:smile:
thanks
Reply 1
Yeah look at the stats for training contracts, pretty sure Sussex and UEA are there but relatively less represented than RG, I think Sussex gets around 0.9% of TC’s which is similar to Liverpool. You can still get a TC from these unis but you have to be well rounded.
Original post by gxmma
Hi all. I'm trying to make university decisions at the moment. I'm wondering if it is possible to get training contracts if I end up at a mid tier uni (such as UEA or sussex) since they're incredibly competitive. I want to become a solicitor in the future:smile:
thanks

Hi @gxmma

Nowadays, the actual uni you go to does not matter that much as most firms redact the information when marking applications to level the playing field and remove bias. Therefore, I would go to the uni that you want to as this will likely result in you enjoying your experience and course more which, in turn, will produce a better grade. With training contracts being very competitive it is important to have good academics to boost your CV and increase your chance of success. Therefore, doing the course you want to, where you want to is the best plan looking forward!

I hope this helps and good luck 🙂

Sophie
Reply 3
Original post by UniofLaw Student
Hi @gxmma

Nowadays, the actual uni you go to does not matter that much as most firms redact the information when marking applications to level the playing field and remove bias. Therefore, I would go to the uni that you want to as this will likely result in you enjoying your experience and course more which, in turn, will produce a better grade. With training contracts being very competitive it is important to have good academics to boost your CV and increase your chance of success. Therefore, doing the course you want to, where you want to is the best plan looking forward!

I hope this helps and good luck 🙂

Sophie

thank you so much!! I was getting worried aha.
Reply 4
Original post by AdB09
Hey!

Yes, it definitely is possible to get a training contract if you go to UEA or Sussex. Even though they are less represented than RG unis, you still have a good shot at securing a TC. Your chances of getting a TC also depend on how well you sell yourself as a candidate, whether you have attended law firm events and Open Days and you actively showed your interest in a specific firm. Be sure to also get involved in extracurricular activities during uni and try to take on positions of responsibility with uni societies so that you can develop skills such as leadership, teamwork, communication, etc.

If you want help with your applications, I could suggest Commercial Law Academy's writing successful law firm applications course. It could help you expressing your interest for a career in law on an application form as well as talk about your experiences.

I've already met with the Allen & Overy team however I really do not aspire to working in London or in finance law. Is this still helpful for my application? I'm definitely going to be trying more things like this when I get to uni.

Also, between UEA and sussex would there be much of a difference in my ability to get training contracts or are they roughly on par with each other?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending