The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I think most people "hate" england in a purely jokey way, some people are quite serious about it tho...

Also in the UK national anthem I think there's a line about crushing the rebellious Scots.......we're so loved as a country hehe :P
Reply 21
Because the sucess of their entire country is based on London?
This is about the third or fourth thread I've seen on this, and I'll say again what I've always said. Most Scottish people, unless everyone I know is unrepresentative of the typical Scot, don't hate the English. There's (largely football-related) rivalry, but it's almost exclusively the friendly, banterous type.
Reply 23
The rivalry thing always amuses me. Scotland think we're their rivals in football whereas most English fans would barely let the Scottish national side fall on their radar. Then the English think Germany are their big rivals. They think it's holland, the two world wars and one world cup is met with blank faces from my german cousins. THe Scottish/English thing always seems quite one sided to me and it's simply a culture thing. It's fun to 'hate' the English because it binds scottish culture and induces exclusivity but when it comes down to it individual scots do not hate inidvidual english people.
Reply 24
tibbles209
It's all just banter, i don't think any scottish people genuinely hate the english, its all just a bit of fun supporting the opposite team and teasing people for having english roots. Nobody really means any harm by it.

:facepalm:
We don't REALLY hate the english, it's a joke! There are lots and lots of English in Scotland and I don't even notice who's english and who is scottish when having a chat. The english are the most similar people to us in the world, in many ways. We share a lot of the same humour and we are all british in a way. Never describe myself as british though. I would never bring myself to support them in the world cup or any other sporting event, that's not to do with hate - its just the way it is!
BADBOY89
Really, whether Scotland or England, it's all UK. What is this harted all about?

And the unusual is that the Welsh also have a dislike for the English. But when England plays at a Football world cup, the Welsh do show support for England. The Scottish always support the team that plays against England.

History, history is the mist common answer but the battles that have been fought between England and Scotland broke out thousands of years ago. We are 21st century now and as I hear from most friends is that nobody hates the English as much as the Scottish.

I have nothing against english people in general, but i would support anyone but england in sports.

Look at it this way; in football i support celtic. I have nothing personal against rangers supporters, but i would support whoever is playing against rangers in football.

I dont buy into this ***** about 'supporting england cause they're representing the UK'. You either support them or you dont.
Reply 27
i want England's opposition to win because our tv coverage of English games treats us as if we're England fans, despite the fact that we're not English. I think I'll choose who I want to support thanks.

And don't give me any of this neighbour or british empire nonsense, I'm Scottish and British. I will support any team representing GB at anything they do, and I'll support a team from Scotland in anything they do.
NOT England.
Reply 28
I was born in Scotland and lived there until I was 4. Don't know if that makes any difference but whatever.

In my expirience most of it is just banter. Everyone in the British Isles has a go at the English, as well as all our mainland neighbours. Hell, even the English have a go at the English. I can't think of many stronger rivalries then, for example, Liverpool and Manchester or Yorkshire and Lancashire.

However, there are certainly some Scots who have a genuine and unwarrented hatred of the English. There used to be places in Glasgow (I appreciate not all of Scotland is like Glasgow) where you would find 'English scum' spray painted onto walls etc

In my eyes, Scotland is just another place in Britain with a funny accent- same as Newcastle, Liverpool, West Country etc. I don't think of it as a seperate country. The cultures and attitudes are more or less identicle (Of course many Scots cling onto the whole kilts/highland games/romantic image of Scotland- but I am talking about fundemental differences)
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 29
unhappy over being ruled from London in England
The English stole my lands :huff: .
Well of course there is a long history of rivalry but I really wouldn't accuse the average Scot of hating the English.

Did you know France and Scotland used to gang up against England from time to time, in what was known as 'The Old Alliance'.
I don't really get it
My dad properly HATES England and English people, full on. It's so pathetic.
We had to go to England a few times and the whole time my dad was just hating it and cussing at everyone under his breath. I mean wth...

It's not just England he hates though. He's not a big fan of my boyfriend purely because he was born in Germany.
James10000
unhappy over being ruled from London in England

Aren't we all sunshine.
Because they're invading basterds.

I jest (but seriously...), it's just friendly banter these days, just like football team rivalry.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 35
150 Azog
I was born in Scotland and lived there until I was 4. Don't know if that makes any difference but whatever.

In my expirience most of it is just banter. Everyone in the British Isles has a go at the English, as well as all our mainland neighbours. Hell, even the English have a go at the English. I can't think of many stronger rivalries then, for example, Liverpool and Manchester or Yorkshire and Lancashire.

However, there are certainly some Scots who have a genuine and unwarrented hatred of the English. There used to be places in Glasgow (I appreciate not all of Scotland is like Glasgow) where you would find 'English scum' spray painted onto walls etc

In my eyes, Scotland is just another place in Britain with a funny accent- same as Newcastle, Liverpool, West Country etc. I don't think of it as a seperate country. The cultures and attitudes are more or less identicle (Of course many Scots cling onto the whole kilts/highland games/romantic image of Scotland- but I am talking about fundemental differences)

Oh those bloody glaswegians eh? Bringing down our country rep!
My dad always jokes about hating english people, can't mean it otherwise i wouldn't be here
I hate lancastrians and southerners but and they're from t'same country

Yorkshire will soon be free from British tyranny and the White Rose will fly above York minister
lovely_me
Did you know France and Scotland used to gang up against England from time to time, in what was known as 'The Old Alliance'.

Yes I did know that!
Reply 39
pamelaa
Oh those bloody glaswegians eh? Bringing down our country rep!

Yeahh we disgust me :smile:

OP, they don't. My boyfriend is English, several of my friends are English, and like somebody else said earlier on, when you're chatting to people in uni or whatever you barely notice the difference. The supporting the opposite team thing is just a sort of jokey tradition now, and not one I really take part in. I'm not majorly into sport but I watch some rugby and football now and again and if England are playing I usually find myself on their side.

Latest

Trending

Trending