The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

Scroll to see replies

Reply 180
We're 3 girls looking for a nice flat with 3 bedrooms. If you happen to know about something suitable, where the rent is under £900 PCM, feel free to send me an email to olgasze[at]yahoo.com. Are there any property managements you would recommend? :smile: Thanks!
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
Reply 181
Original post by olgisen
We're 3 girls looking for a nice flat with 3 bedrooms. If you happen to know about something suitable, where the rent is under £900 PCM, feel free to send me an email to olgasze[at]yahoo.com. Are there any property managements you would recommend? :smile: Thanks!

Frankly, this will be quite difficult. There are not many flats in a central location with a low rent. Finding a nice one is even harder. I did find one, but that was with Grant Management, and had no interior photographs - big signals to avoid like the plague.
Reply 182
Original post by NeoNerd

Original post by NeoNerd
Frankly, this will be quite difficult. There are not many flats in a central location with a low rent. Finding a nice one is even harder. I did find one, but that was with Grant Management, and had no interior photographs - big signals to avoid like the plague.

Heard a lot of bad things about grant... We were thinking about a maximum 15 minutes walk from GS, is that more possible..? Thanks for the advice!
Reply 183
Original post by olgisen
Heard a lot of bad things about grant... We were thinking about a maximum 15 minutes walk from GS, is that more possible..? Thanks for the advice!

Yeah, Grant Management can be dodgy. Some people get on fine, but plenty of others have horror stories.

You might well manage to get a flat if you branch out. Keep an eye out. Try Gumtree as well for private landlords. Are you more flexible on rents or location?
Reply 184
I'm going to a viewing for a room on Friday, in Bruntsfield/Tollcross area, looks like it's quite a nice place in the photos, but rent is £340 a month plus bills - does this seem a bit high, or is it reasonable? I think it's maybe ok just, but I'm not sure. Opinions from those who've lived in Edinburgh a while are much appreciated :smile:
Reply 185
Original post by daeonica
I'm going to a viewing for a room on Friday, in Bruntsfield/Tollcross area, looks like it's quite a nice place in the photos, but rent is £340 a month plus bills - does this seem a bit high, or is it reasonable? I think it's maybe ok just, but I'm not sure. Opinions from those who've lived in Edinburgh a while are much appreciated :smile:

That's touching on the high side of average. Depends on how good the flat is, really. If you get a good flat for that, then great.
Reply 186
Yeah, that's what I was thinking - it doesn't seem too bad, but it's slightly more than I'd hoped to be paying. Guess I'll just see how nice the flat actually is. Thanks :smile:
i was just wondering if one person flats are out of the question for an okay price and location...
Original post by lizfairy
i was just wondering if one person flats are out of the question for an okay price and location...

You pay a big premium for it. Better to look for another group to join if that's what it's come to.
Reply 189
Do you have to know whether Edinburgh is your firm or insurance choice before applying for accommodation?
Original post by Kelz_26

Original post by Kelz_26
Do you have to know whether Edinburgh is your firm or insurance choice before applying for accommodation?

Obviously.

You can't just go around applying for accommodation at places if the university has no idea that you want to go!
Reply 191
Original post by oxymoronic
Obviously.

You can't just go around applying for accommodation at places if the university has no idea that you want to go!

Yes, but don't you have to apply for accommodation at both your firm and insurance choices?
Original post by Kelz_26

Original post by Kelz_26
Yes, but don't you have to apply for accommodation at both your firm and insurance choices?

Depends on the university. If Edinburgh is your insurance then you have to apply for accommodation here, but its different elsewhere.

You can't do anything with accommodation until you've replied to your offers and said whether its your firm or insurance, then the university knows if there is a chance you'll be going.
Reply 193
If you go into Potterrow, towards the end of the semester there will be adverts appearing on the accommodation wall (its between the EUSA office and the PR shop) where people advertise full flats or if they're looking for an additional flatmate.

Maybe I'm being dense and missing something that's right in front of me, but I can't find this wall! Is that because it isn't really there yet, and things will turn up closer towards the end of term?
Original post by daeonica
Maybe I'm being dense and missing something that's right in front of me, but I can't find this wall! Is that because it isn't really there yet, and things will turn up closer towards the end of term?

It's there but there are currently no flat advertisements, only theatre, music, charity posters etc.
Hey,

I'm no longer happy in my current accommodation and I am looking to move to another s/c residence.

Therefore I am wondering whether anyone who has made a similar move can tell me of their experiences and whether they advise for or against it.

I know there are only 3 months left until I move out anyway, but it's got to the stage where I feel that I can't stay here any longer.

I'm going to speak to my DoS and the Accommodation Manager tomorrow, but I was hoping someone could share their personal experience.

Cheers guys.
Reply 196
Original post by lizfairy
It's there but there are currently no flat advertisements, only theatre, music, charity posters etc.

Thanks! I'll see if I can find it next time I'm there, then I can keep an eye on it.
Reply 197
Does anyone know how the accomodation for Edinburgh is chosen if it isn't first come first served?
Original post by bumblebee

Original post by bumblebee
Does anyone know how the accomodation for Edinburgh is chosen if it isn't first come first served?

totally randomly on every level.
you'll get what you're given, not what you want.
totally randomly on every level.
you'll get what you're given, not what you want.

Unless you ring them and complain heartily, then they give you your first choice after all.

Latest

Trending

Trending