The Student Room Group

UCAT score

I have been predicted 4 A*s and an EPQ A* and have 11 grade 9s, but I only achieved 2840 B1 in the UCAT, do you think I could apply to Edinburgh?
Hey there, thanks for posting a question in the Medicine forum. :biggrin:

The Medicine forum gets a high volume of questions being posted, and some of these are already answered by the resources and Megathreads that members of the community and volunteers have created. This is an automatic post which is designed to highlight these resources. Below is a list of threads and articles that could answer your question (you should be looking in the original post of the megathreads). If one of the below threads is a more relevant place to ask your question, please post a reply in that thread to ask your question. If your query is answered by one of the Megathreads or articles linked below, and you would like us to close this thread for you, please reply to this thread with just the words "thank you". A member of our team will then get it locked.

Megathreads
(Please read the first post, before then posting any further questions you have within that thread.)
The "Which Medical School Should I Apply To?" Uberthread
The Ultimate 'Am I Good Enough For Medicine?' Angst Thread
Medicine A-Level subjects queries
Work Experience and Voluntary Work

2023 Applicants:
Official Undergraduate Medicine 2023 Entry
Graduate Entry Medicine 2023 Entry
Medicine 2023 entry for resit / retake / gap year applicants
A100 Medicine for International Students 2023 Entry
Medicine Interview discussion 2023 Entry
2023 entry A100 / A101 Medicine fastest and slowest offer senders
Index of Individual Medical School Applicants' threads 2023 Entry

2024 Applicants :
Official Undergraduate Medicine 2024 Entry
Graduate Entry Medicine 2024 Entry
GAMSAT 2024 / 2025 entry discussions megathread
UCAT 2024 Entry Discussions Megathread

Other application years:
Graduate Entry Medicine 2025 Entry
Official Undergraduate Medicine 2025 Entry

Useful Articles:
GCSE Requirements for Medicine
Everything you need to know about the BMAT
Work Experience as a Graduate or Mature student
Medicine Personal Statement Advice
Medicine Personal Statement Advice (Graduate Entry)
Interview Frequently Asked Questions
MMI Medicine Interview Tips
What to do after an unsuccessful first application

If your query is answered by one of the Megathreads or articles linked above, and you would like us to close this thread for you, please reply to this thread with just the words "thank you". A member of our team will then get it locked.
Original post by lllls
I have been predicted 4 A*s and an EPQ A* and have 11 grade 9s, but I only achieved 2840 B1 in the UCAT, do you think I could apply to Edinburgh?

Post it here: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7126857&page=30
Original post by lllls

https://www.ed.ac.uk/medicine-vet-medicine/edinburgh-medical-school/medicine/applying/assessment-selection-and-statistics/pre-assessment-day-scoring-process
Your gcse and A Levels are worth 10 points out of 10 becomes 20 out of 20, read below

How we score your application.

The academic portion of each application to our Medicine programme is scored independently by two members of the Admissions Team. The academic scores outlined in the table below are doubled, to provide an academic score out of a total of 20 points. The academic portion of each application constitutes 25% of the overall application score.

Once the academic part of an application is scored, we await confirmation of each applicant's UCAT total score and Situational Judgement Test banding directly from UCAT. These are weighted separately, with the UCAT total score awarding 17.5% of the total application score and the SJT banding awarding 7.5%. Applicants who are awarded Band 4 in the SJT or whose UCAT total score falls below our cut-off score for that cycle are removed from the selection process (with the exception of Plus Flag applicants, who are exempt from the UCAT total score cut-off).

The total of these three components (50% of the overall application score) is used to shortlist for invitations to our Assessment Day (per fee category). The Assessment Day (Interview) score provides the final 50% of the overall application score. This final overall score is then used to shortlist for offers (also per fee category).
Original post by lllls

How we use your UCAT score
Potential applicants who score a Band 4 in the Situational Judgement Test will not be considered for entry.
You are required to meet a minimum UCAT score as part of our entry requirements from 2023 entry. Our minimum UCAT total cut-off score for those applying for 2024 entry is 2470. Any applicant applying with a score below the cut-off will not be considered with the exclusion of FLAG PLUS applicants (see below).

Once all the scores are received we rank them, divide the cohort into deciles (ten equal groups) and allocate a score. We also allocate a score to your situational judgement banding. The points are then added to your academic score to contribute towards your final ranking for shortlisting and possible invitation to one of our Assessment Days. The individual sections of the total score an applicant achieved may be looked at again when final decisions are made where there are applicants with the same ranked score and limited places left to offer.

Ultimately, it depends on your competition as your UCAT score is ranked…
Reply 5
Hi,

I think you have had a response from GANFYD to your question about this on the Edinburgh thread. But, unless you have contextual flags then unfortunatley it is unlikely to meet Edinburgh criteria. You have effectively needed north of 3000 as an RUK applicant for Edi in recent years.

However you have excellent stats and there are lots of strategic options. Esp, those that do combination scoring of academic + UCAT.

Have a look / post here.

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7312527
Reply 6
Original post by GGIN
Hi,

I think you have had a response from GANFYD to your question about this on the Edinburgh thread. But, unless you have contextual flags then unfortunatley it is unlikely to meet Edinburgh criteria. You have effectively needed north of 3000 as an RUK applicant for Edi in recent years.

However you have excellent stats and there are lots of strategic options. Esp, those that do combination scoring of academic + UCAT.

Have a look / post here.

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7312527

Thank you for your response. I am applying as a home (scottish) fee student, do you think I have a chance?
Reply 7
Original post by lllls
Thank you for your response. I am applying as a home (scottish) fee student, do you think I have a chance?

You should be fine as a Home applicant

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending