The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

Scroll to see replies

Reply 380
Original post by shaneli
Hello :smile: I have a conditional place at Edinburgh for medicine, and I'm trying to decide on accommodation. I'd like somewhere self-catered, relatively quiet and close to classes.

Any suggestions?

I'd be grateful for any insight, even if its simply your opinion on a particular hall, not necessarily answering my question. At this point, I know zilch about halls at Edinburgh, especially because I've never been there, unfortunately (being an international student)!

I've never stayed in Edinburgh uni halls so can't really give you advice on which are nicest etc. I believe that 1st and 2nd years of the medical course are mostly delivered at the George Square/Teviot place (central) campus with only infrequent trips to the medical school at the Royal Infirmary required (although they may have changed this).

There is a shuttle bus that goes to and from the medical school/Royal Infirmary and stops at the Princess Alexandra Eye Hospital and the Royal Hospital for Sick Children both either sides of the central campus. (There are also general Lothian (Edinburgh) bus services as well)

I would recommend giving the medical school an email and asking where they expect to be teaching next year. Even if the teaching is based on another campus you will probably still have to make trips to the med school so you may want to ask how often that would be expected and plan which accommodation to go for accordingly.
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
Reply 381
Hi, wondering if anybody could give me some advice.

I'm really stuck as to where to apply for accom. Originally I wanted to go self-catered, but have heard that catered is much more social and you meet more people, even heard it being described as the centre of student life. To be honest, if this is true it'd sway it for me, as I'm much more interested in having an amazing experience and meeting lots of people from different courses/backgrounds than I am in getting to cook my own food/live independently. Especially as the vet course is all going to be out at Easterbush, I want the opportunity to meet lots of non-vet people! :tongue:

So, this is my list of pro's/con's for pollock so far:

+ more social, lots of people, events etc.
+ lovely good location

- cost(!!!)- would definately be applying for the cheapest ones available
- lack of independence- can't make own meals, cleaners etc.
- heard rumours that its full of private schoolers (but pretty sure thats a massive sterotype)
- canteen style food

Help? :smile:
Reply 382
Iv just applied for my halls in edinburgh recently and was thinking the exact same,
Hearing it was a really good way of meeting new people i thought catered was the right choice but i have chosen self catered because its a lot more independent especially for when i move into a flat in second year and gives you a lot more freedom with your own timing etc.
dont worry about it not being sociable because you'll have all your flat mates etc aswel to eat with and your choice of halls will not be the only way you can make friends/ go to events!
Original post by jen vet

Original post by jen vet
x

This has been discussed to death time and time again.
Look a few pages back in this thread (March sometime) and there was a lot of discussion on it :smile:

Lets just say the things you hear on the rumour mill about Edinburgh accommodation don't really paint the full picture.
Reply 384
I have heard that during Easter holidays you either have to move all of your stuff out of your room or pay extra to keep your room during Easter holidays if you choose catered accommodation. I was just wondering if anyone knew roughly how much this would cost and is it only Easter you have to do this or any other holidays too?
Reply 385
Original post by jen vet
/|\

Original post by sky1324
/|\

Catered is no more social than self-catered. You'll probably get to meet most of the people on your floor in either case.

Anyway, the food at Pollock is not great. At all.
Hi folks!

So in september it will be Edinburgh..! Feels unreal right now, but great!.I will study at College of Art.
The whole accomodationdecisionthing seems to me be quite tricky though. Mainly because I would really prefer to have an ensuite but this year it does not seem to be available for 1st years studens. Therefore, I have been thinking to might go for Unite in Portsburgh Court. But it is really expensive, and I don't want to be missing some great unithings. This year all students from the College of art can apply to Halls of recidense as well so I guess it will not be as much people from the College this year..

I have read both good and bad things about Unite, so it is a hard decision. Do you think it has been easy to share bathroom with other people? Is it often 2 bathrooms in every flat? I have IBS, and sometimes need to be a longer while in the bathroom and have access to it easily, plus you don't want to occupy it from other too long.. I really don't know if I should just apply and see how it all turns out, and I guess it could be good for me to learn how to share bathrooms with other and get over the embarassment thing..

Or I should just go for the Unite.. Have someone of you stayed there? How is the studentlife? Many people from college of art there? And from university of Edinburgh as well? Are there other people who are thinking of applying to private because of ensuite? How is it the 2nd year..? Still uni halls?

I would really appreciate some answers!
Reply 387
Original post by hello975
College Wynd is nice! I stayed there in first year and had a great time! It's quite small in comparison to places like Kinkaids but that just means you get to know everyone! Haven't really got any pics to show but It's pretty much like most 4 bed student accommodation. The cleaners can get a bit annoying but it's a price to pay for having someone else clean up after you :biggrin:

Oh really? That's good because I was going to put it as my first choice as I thought it sounded quite nice :smile: Is there like a living room communal area where you can all just chill out? Either per flat or for the whole college?
visting edinburgh university on Satudary
Reply 389
Can anyone help me?

At first I really wanted to be in halls because i wanted to meet as many people as possible but i was put off by the price and all the "yah" rumours (also, i can only afford a shared room in pollock, which isn't exactly ideal)

Now I'm leaning more towards self-catered. My criterias are: as many people per flat as possible, as cheap as possible and the best location/social life. At the moment my favourites are:
-Robertson Close
-New Arthur's Place
And I'm considering considering Kincaid Court, although i would probably apply for a shared room due to the prices

Am i making the right decisions? :confused:
Reply 390
Original post by Kelz_26
I have heard that during Easter holidays you either have to move all of your stuff out of your room or pay extra to keep your room during Easter holidays if you choose catered accommodation. I was just wondering if anyone knew roughly how much this would cost and is it only Easter you have to do this or any other holidays too?

It's just Easter you have to do it with...and it's only a couple of the catered houses you have to do that with. Grant house and Chancellor's are the only ones I think...but best check. In Chancellor's its £450 to keep your room over Easter!
Reply 391
Wondering if one of the Edinburgh students can help me with this question....
I have one of the flats the Uni owns for next year. The only problem being the lease starts 2nd June and I am gonna be away for the entire summer. I got formal consent to lease out my room for that time but it has to be to another student and I'm wondering what would be the best way of finding someone.
I've put up a couple of signs in David hume tower and in potterow but haven't heard anything. Any tips??
Reply 392
Original post by lakeland
It's just Easter you have to do it with...and it's only a couple of the catered houses you have to do that with. Grant house and Chancellor's are the only ones I think...but best check. In Chancellor's its £450 to keep your room over Easter!

Thank you. Looks like I'm going to have to somehow get all of my stuff on the train back home over Easter then if I end up in one of those houses! Is Grant House one of the better houses then? I thought it would be Chancellors and John Burnett house they used.
I got formal consent to lease out my room for that time but it has to be to another student and I'm wondering what would be the best way of finding someone.
I've put up a couple of signs in David hume tower and in potterow but haven't heard anything. Any tips??

Reduce the asking price. The only way you'll get some to sublet it from you in the middle of the summer is if it's dirt cheap.
Reply 394
Original post by Kelz_26
Thank you. Looks like I'm going to have to somehow get all of my stuff on the train back home over Easter then if I end up in one of those houses! Is Grant House one of the better houses then? I thought it would be Chancellors and John Burnett house they used.

No Grant house is the worst I'd say. Not sure why they chose it tbh. John Burnett people get to keep their rooms, i think they decided that as most of John Burnett are rich internationals who don't want to be lugging their stuff back to Dubai.
Reply 395
Original post by nearlyheadlessian
Reduce the asking price. The only way you'll get some to sublet it from you in the middle of the summer is if it's dirt cheap.

Really? I thought they'd be lots looking for somewhere to stay over the holidays s they could work the festival. Its a massive room in Marchmont and I put it up for £350 per month. Reduce it to £300?
Really? I thought they'd be lots looking for somewhere to stay over the holidays s they could work the festival. Its a massive room in Marchmont and I put it up for £350 per month. Reduce it to £300?

Is that price inclusive of bills? People staying for a week or a month want to pay an all-in price, rather than fiddling with extras. Marchmont can be a little out of the way for some people. Will there be flatmates in at the same time, and if so what are they like and do they mind? We rented out our second bedroom during the festival in 2008 for about £25 a night (but including bills, and making it clear people staying could have a cup of tea whenever, etc), although for people staying longer we cut deals (I think we charged a guy who stayed for a week about £120). That was obviously somewhat different, because we were still in the flat. We advertised our room on the Fringe's website and it was occupied for about 3 weeks cumulatively during the festival. But you really need to think about the practicalities - who is going to let them in and give them a key? etc etc. Will you take an upfront deposit (we did - we asked for a cheque deposit).
Reply 397
Is that price inclusive of bills? People staying for a week or a month want to pay an all-in price, rather than fiddling with extras. Marchmont can be a little out of the way for some people. Will there be flatmates in at the same time, and if so what are they like and do they mind? We rented out our second bedroom during the festival in 2008 for about £25 a night (but including bills, and making it clear people staying could have a cup of tea whenever, etc), although for people staying longer we cut deals (I think we charged a guy who stayed for a week about £120). That was obviously somewhat different, because we were still in the flat. We advertised our room on the Fringe's website and it was occupied for about 3 weeks cumulatively during the festival. But you really need to think about the practicalities - who is going to let them in and give them a key? etc etc. Will you take an upfront deposit (we did - we asked for a cheque deposit).

Yeah that's including bills. I thought it should be an Ok price because the girls next door have a very similar flat but with a private landlord and are paying £400 per month during the year!Ideally I would find a someone who's own flat's lease starts in September/August so they'd want it for the whole 3 months. I'd just hand over my key and they'd use that. Its a 4 person flat but only one of the other girls is staying there the entire time. Didn't think about the deposit, cheque idea sounds good. Is there anywhere else I should advertise?
Yeah that's including bills. I thought it should be an Ok price because the girls next door have a very similar flat but with a private landlord and are paying £400 per month during the year!Ideally I would find a someone who's own flat's lease starts in September/August so they'd want it for the whole 3 months. I'd just hand over my key and they'd use that. Its a 4 person flat but only one of the other girls is staying there the entire time. Didn't think about the deposit, cheque idea sounds good. Is there anywhere else I should advertise?

You'll struggle to find someone who has a lease starting at the end of the summer who wants to stay in Edinburgh - after all, the reason they have a lease starting in September is surely precisely because they don't want to stay in Edinburgh. I'd advertise on gumtree, edfringe, citylets. Ask if eusa will let you put up an ad in potterrow. Etc. But quite honestly, if no one is biting I would reduce the price until someone does - better someone gets a bargain for £250 a month than that you foot the bill for £350.
Reply 399
You'll struggle to find someone who has a lease starting at the end of the summer who wants to stay in Edinburgh - after all, the reason they have a lease starting in September is surely precisely because they don't want to stay in Edinburgh. I'd advertise on gumtree, edfringe, citylets. Ask if eusa will let you put up an ad in potterrow. Etc. But quite honestly, if no one is biting I would reduce the price until someone does - better someone gets a bargain for £250 a month than that you foot the bill for £350.

Ok will do thanks for the help :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending