The Student Room Group

Why did the league of nations fail?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
I don't think the design was meant to "break". Wether there is war or not isn't determined by an organization like that. The UN couldn't prevent any war in the last 70 years? Not even multiple genocides in Africa and elsewhere, but this is another story.
As long as there is no enforcement-mechanism which could hold every power in check, international organizations are simply a matter of "accepting and obeying the rules" by every single nation. If one feels there is no justice, like Japan, they won't obey.

I dont know so much about the financial elite and Hitler, that there were people who thought they would gain from another war, well I guess thats a sure thing. I just dont think they would have cared about somethink like the League.

I mean, we students of today may think of the UN and the EU and how those institutions influence our lives and how there wasn't a war in western Europe ever since back in the 40's, but back then the League was an experiment, one which was bound to fail like countless observers noted and which was preceded by another countless multilateral pacts and treaties "designed" for peace which were reduced to nothing as soon as one of the signature powers decided it could profit from a little war.
Why should some high bank guys think the League would be a problem? Nonetheless they played their role in preparing World War 2.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending